Used 2003 Ford Focus ZX3 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Never Again
By stanlell

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

In the shop twice for transmission problems before 12,000 miles. Took 1/4 tank of gas and 2 hours to go 23 miles up hills recently while traveling on vacation.Thought the transmission was going to fall out. Back again last week for same transmission problem that was "repaired" 18,000 miles ago, only had to pay $100 deductible even though it is under full warranty. Afraid to drive up a hill because I am out of cash and cannot afford another $100 should it have to go back in the shop. I will never again have a Ford product and this one will be gone as soon as I make the last payment. Hello Toyota.

Only 24 more payments and then it will be outta here. (Should it last that long!)

I spoke with a lot of people with problems with the Focus. Every used car lot has at least 2 for resale. Recall them all and give people their money back or a fair even trade. And how can you charge a "deductible" on a warranty? Nope, never again will I purchase a Ford product.

Focus ZX3 Hatchback
By Barbara

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've been disappointed with this vehicle's gas mileage since I purchased it. I've found that larger automobiles get better gas mileage. I have a gas tank that holds just over 11 gallons and when I travel 350 miles to visit my son the car uses about a tank and a half of fuel. That figures out to be less than 22 MPG on a road trip.

Great City Car!
By Bob

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Tight car! Solid, no rattles, more than adequate power and handles well! Love it as city runabout, easy entry, exit, parking and great visibility all around. Hatchback can carry BIG loads, like a mini SUV! Over 30k miles, no problems yet. Have a loaded automatic, sunroof and all extras yet it still doesn't have a rattle it - wife loves it too - Just leave the Town Car in the garage and use the Focus in the city!

Hatchback! Easily carries large and TALL loads - it's very convenient as shopper, airport runner and hauler.

MPH not that good, <23 originally in city using air. Put in M&H air filter and it increased significantly to >26. Ford should be able to get this little and relatively light car to get over 30+ in the city and still keep it as responsive as it is.

Fun car
By JY

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand new. I love it! I have so much fun driving it. It's a pretty slick looking car too. So, far the only problem I had was with the cd player. It quit working & 2 of my cds got stuck in it.

I like the design of the car.

cd player.

So far so good
By Yemats

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car performs better than I expected for the cost. The mileage is somewhat disappointing with the automatic -- only about 25, mostly highway. It has plenty of power and handles great, very smooth and quiet. The only problem I have experienced is a malfunctioning hatch release.

I have all the accessories and they all perform great.

Maybe better seats, power would be nice.