2003 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Great Car that worse than YUGO !
By ankhmaat on 10/30/09 19:19 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus ZX5 Comfort 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Clutch gone at 33,000 Front Struts worn out at 65,000 Steering wheel fails to unlock at 45,000 Tinim chain skips and ruins engine at 98,000 3 radios changed under warranty, and never wored right Side mirrrs break off easily and host of little problems. I used to own YUGO and things that lasted forever on YUGO break on FORD FOUCS, incredible ! Coolant tank leaks at 82,500 CHeck engine light on more than 20 times, Radiator and fan and air flow sensor all failed when still under warranty. Well mine was made in MEXICO !

Great little car
By Shannon on 10/23/09 09:32 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus SE Comfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second Focus. I did have another 2003 Focus LX base model. That one had transmission problems and this one does not. I purchased it with 130k and now has 143k. I have enjoyed this car, only minor problems with it. It handles great, stops on a dime, very reliable and very roomy. Decent gas mileage..without A/C 28-29 mpg, with A/C..24-25 mpg, and that's with regular oil changes and adding B-12 to the fuel tank. Very few complaints, trunk doesn't want to latch when shut after being opened with the key fob or trunk button, but works correctly with the key.

My car is a loser
By Scott on 10/02/09 14:43 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus SE Comfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought the car with 65,000 miles and within 5 months had to put in a transmission and a motor mount. Ford helped with the costs but we were still out $2,000 dollars. Then the trunk latch failed. Then we started with the electrical problems. We went though a couple of batteries and then had to disable the alarm which kept going off for no reason. We finally had it working Ok for a couple of weeks and put new tires and another battery in. I guess I should have waited, because then the #3 piston blew, time for a new motor. When we tried to trade it in we were told $100.00. If this car was not such a piece of crap I would turn it into a planter but I would hate to waste good dirt

good fuel efficency and lots of space
By fordddddd on 08/31/09 12:18 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my car as a rebuilt vehicle over a year ago. It had 12K miles on it. Now it has 36000 miles and i have not yet had a problem with it. I get around 27 mpg average (city and highway). I love this car because it gives good fuel economy and can haul a lot of stuff. I use it to take my dogs to training and i can hold 3 crates with the rear seats folded down (500, 400 and a 300 crate).

Got rid of it
By Chris on 08/03/09 13:06 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car at 40k miles and got rid of it at 64k. We had the key problem where the ignition locks up; we just never took the key out, always left it in the car to avoid getting stranded. Couldn't put chains on it. Trunk wouldn't shut properly. Gas mileage steadily declined despite regular oil changes and check ups. After reading all the reviews about the car crapping out around 60k, we just wanted to be rid of it.

Do this again, Ford
By Mel on 07/20/09 21:03 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is adequately powered for almost any situation. It has needed only 1 repair in 60000 miles. The power window lifter failed on the passenger side and the dealer was able to make it work better than when it was new. The mileage is excellent, I am averaging 29 miles to the gallon under all conditions.

Buy It! Great handling and comfortable!
By Targetdisco on 06/10/09 06:29 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Gave an 8 for Fuel Economy because it used to be good, now it is average. Lived in suburban DC, with no huge hills, for 1.5 years. Did the long trips, commuting, and around town; all great mileage. Moved to "real" WV with lots of huge hills 13 months ago, and mileage is not good at all. The imitation Euro handling is certainly there and is great. Seats are comfy, lots of room, and good storage. Mine has a sunroof/moonroof and 6 cd changer. I think the Cd changer finally conked out. In 2.5 years, I've taken it to the shop for tires, and oil changes. Oct 06, I bought the car with 30k miles. So it's been an outstanding and problem free car.

SVT Focus is a high point for Ford
By Bryan Redeker on 04/01/09 11:40 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my SVT Focus used from my dad after I sold my 2000 Focus ZX3. The SVT Focus is great to drive, both on the street, at autocrosses, and on the track. The Recaro seats are very supportive for cornering, and the brakes are perfect! Stomping the middle pedal really hauls the car down on the straight away. With the 6-speed gearbox, I pulled off 40 mpg on a highway trip. How many cars have HID's, Recaro seats, 6-speed gear boxes, big brakes, and get 40 mpg! Only one, and that is the SVT Focus. Usual mileage is 32 combined. I love my Focus and it is one of the best compact cars ever made, and a high point for Ford!

I've had enough of Ford
By karen on 03/11/09 09:56 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

At first I loved this car, but now.. It eats tires, I've have 2 solenoids replaced, shocks replaced twice. Fuel Filter, enertia switch replaced and still I find myself at least once a week with a dead car. If I let it sit about 30 min then it starts fine, mechanic can't find the problem but it sure stinks to sit in the daycare or walmart parking lot while I wait the 30 min. I'm looking for a new car and I can assure you it will not be a Ford product.

Horrible Car
By nellaru15 on 01/13/09 21:22 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car with just under 15,000 miles at about 20,000 the problems began. Gone through 2 sets of tires, 4 wheel bearings, sway bar links, 2 alignments, many wheel balancing and still shakes all the time. Just going through a brake light problem-cant figure out what it is, not bulbs fuses or brake light switch. Not to mention the interior lights and headlights flicker all the time. If under 20 degrees outside the headlights go out when turning down from high beam. Radio screen has lines going through it so you can barely read it sometimes, and occasinally turns itself up and down, and mute button works on occasion. Doors very hard to open. Horrible car at least this years model.will never buy a Ford again. Very dangerous car. Wouldn't recomend to anyone.