2003 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Poor Quality & Engineering-Ford Cops Out
By Cold Mainer on 06/03/10 15:30 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus SE Comfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Fun car with great gas mileage if driven correctly. I average 34 MPG on the highway at 60 MPH. A major flaw of this vehicle has been the rear suspension. It has too much negative rear camber and not enough toe. This causes wear to the inside edges of the rear tires. This is not adjustable and must be accomplished with the use of aftermarket parts. It cost me $350.00 to get this problem fixed. It has stopped eating tires now and has improved the safety of the vehicle. I have 48,000 miles on my latest set of tires now. This vehicle was very dangerous when operated in snow and wet conditions. It always wanted to spin around before I got the rear end problem fixed. Trunk latch, ignition rp

Reliable as a tank
By Tdwillis on 05/27/10 06:24 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus SE Comfort 4dr Sedan w/Zetec (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We have had this car since it was new and now we have 188k on it and all I have to say it has been super reliable and flawless. The only problem early on were the front sway links, but mechanically our focus has been and still is remarkably reliable. The trans and engine is original and has never been serviced for nothing. We also have never had a check engine light come on and it passes the emissions test every time with flying colors. Our Focus also doesn't burn a drop of oil. I don't know why everyone else has had the problems they have with their Focus but my experience has been very positive. Driving this car 300k miles doesn't seem like a fantasy anymore.

Solid
By Matt on 05/24/10 12:12 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I knew even when I bought this car that I would never truly love it, but it has been rock solid for me over the last three years. Outside of routine maintenance, I haven't had a single headache or repair. I keep wanting something to go wrong so I can talk my wife into letting me get a sexier vehicle, but my Focus just keeps plugging away. I could have paid far more for a used Civic or Corolla, but I wouldn't have gotten a better or more reliable car.

PZEV only lasted 98,826 miles!
By Mirox on 05/04/10 22:28 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus ZX5 Premium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Quite funny to get a car that is designed to be maintenance FREE for 15 years or 150,000 when in reality it does not make it to 100,000 ! The 2.3 L engine with Timing Chain supposed to be an improvement over the 2.0 L with timing belt! Except when the plastic slippers wear out it jumps timing and bends all valves - hence a JUNK! Now at to that clutch that lasted only 36,000 miles, Audio system that had to be replaced 5 times, Steering wheel that just locks and can not be unlocked again without replacing the key switch, RIGHT engine mounts that break, and host of other things like worn out Front Struts at 78,000. This vehicle has problems that YUGO never had! Simply a BAD CAR

Traded a Gas guzzler for a Money Guzzler
By disappointmentabound on 04/05/10 16:33 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus SE Comfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great car for the first 45,000 miles! The tranny went out and was replaced under warranty at 3 years old. A year after the transmission replacement, the brakes went out and had to be completely replaced. About two months after the brakes, the struts went out. Also had to have them replaced. Upgraded stereo went out then, started hearing a terrible front end grinding noise-was told it was the transmission. Called the dealership and they said it was 3 days out of warranty. Took it to a different dealership and was told the motor mounts were also bad. Oh, and the ignition switch locked up. Was gonna just sell it, resale on the car isn't even $1500 but it gets great gas mileage.

Mediocrity at its best!
By monkeyfinger on 02/22/10 18:21 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Focus ZX3 Premium 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My 2003 Ford Focus has seen it's share of problems: Alternator, Thermostat Housing, AA Solenoid, Fuel Pump, Water Pump, Drive Belt, Timing Belt and Engine Mounts. I Love the compact design; however, this causes astronomical labor charges or very difficult self repairs. You actually have to go under the car to change the headlight bulbs. Overall, I like my Focus, but I wish Ford had put more thought into the quality. For example, a thermostat housing that is not made of plastic. If yours has not failed yet, then it soon will. Or a better set of engine mounts. One thing that the focus will do is help you become a great mechanic.

Been a great car
By WYcommuter on 02/14/10 17:26 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought with 8000 miles in 05. Still have with 115000. Only one issue and that was a new ignition core (cheap repair). Live in WY and commute through blizzards and have never been stuck or stranded with this great little car. I drive it and leave the F150 in the garage when its icy. Did not buy fancy, manual windows, locks, etc. maybe that why no problems.

Good, economical car
By Dan on 02/14/10 07:48 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Focus LX Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. I had a 2002 Focus and gave it to my daughter. It has over 105000 miles and hasn't needed anything. Mine has 72000 miles and hasn't needed anything other than tires.

My Ford Focus
By Europop2500 on 02/10/10 10:42 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it w/ about 87k on it. 1st thing to replace it was the radio, couldn't read very well w/ the lines through it. Trunk latch doesn't work properly. To close the trunk I have to pull the safety lever in the trunk. It had fairly new tires on it when I bought it, they are already bald 7k miles later. A dome light towards the rear seats would be Nice, @night I cant see a thing back there. I get about 22 mpg all town. It would be Nice to put the rear seats down from the car, not just the trunk. The ignition cyl. Went out, Ford charged $270! Rip off. Only the drivers door has a keyhole and when its colder than 32 degrees the keyhole freezes and u cant get the key in, or turn it. I've tried many options

Focus owner
By dreed on 12/11/09 23:47 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this affordable car brand new and put 86k miles on it. It really is a great, efficient vehicle but I started encountering problems around 60k. miles. Great car but not extremely reliable after 80k miles.