Used 2003 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Most Helpful|
2003 Focus SVT European Package (red)
By Garry Mohr

2003 Ford Focus SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I would like to get a new GT Mustang but do not have the heart to sell my Focus SVT to get one (what does that have to say). It's fun to drive, fast for a 170hp and almost 2800lbs, handles like a sports car (which when you drive it, you think it is). The only problem I've had with it: the clutch assembly had to be replaced due to a rattle sound it made, especially at idle (I've heard this has been a problem with some because of the complex clutch/flywheel assembly/design). The 17" wheels are somewhat easy to damage if you hit a bad chuck hole (I've bent one). When I part with it I know I'll miss.

Favorite Features

The exterior style is very European looking (spoiler, lowered, mono colored, multi spoked wheels). The headlights that come with the Euro package are fantastic. The interior is distinctive with heated Recaro seats and asymmetrical dash style. Full gauge package, even a oil temperature gauge.

Suggested Improvements

Simpler clutch assembly/design. The car was only made in the 2002-2004 time frame, which I think was a shame since I believe it was a car not very well sold or appreciated.

Love My Focus
By ehren

2003 Ford Focus ZX3 Premium 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

When my T-Bird was involved in an accident, I was given a Ford Focus to drive by the rental company. I thought I would hate driving a smaller car. After a week I bought one.

Favorite Features

Placement of features on the dash. Quick response & manuverability. Body style. An American Car

Suggested Improvements

Simplify setting the clock on the menu. Add lights to the make-up mirror. Make the handle go down when lowering the front seat for back seat passengers.

Cute but not reliable
By Dr. Jane

2003 Ford Focus ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Replaced brakes at 13,000. Have replaced wheels and had bearings replaced twice. Problems with vibration ever since I bought the car. Worst car for repairs I have ever owned. Bought in 2003, currently 60,000, getting ready to trade in, I am done.

Favorite Features

Appearance and trunk space

Suggested Improvements

Great Car that worse than YUGO !
By ankhmaat

2003 Ford Focus ZX5 Comfort 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Clutch gone at 33,000 Front Struts worn out at 65,000 Steering wheel fails to unlock at 45,000 Tinim chain skips and ruins engine at 98,000 3 radios changed under warranty, and never wored right Side mirrrs break off easily and host of little problems. I used to own YUGO and things that lasted forever on YUGO break on FORD FOUCS, incredible ! Coolant tank leaks at 82,500 CHeck engine light on more than 20 times, Radiator and fan and air flow sensor all failed when still under warranty. Well mine was made in MEXICO !

Favorite Features

Was fun to drive before things started to break down

Suggested Improvements

The timing chain is the worst feature, and it is not accessible when engine in in the car. To change clutch was over $2,000 or more than Auto costs extra.

Great Car for Reasonable price.
By lilkk

2003 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned my 2003 Ford Focus ZX3-5 speed manual since July of 2003. For being a lower priced vehicle I couldn't have asked for a better more reliable vehicle. I've only had two problems over the last, almost, 8 years. The first full summer I owned the vehicle the A/C went out, but was covered under warranty-no hassles. Recently I had to replace the alternator, otherwise besides routine maintenace it has been a fantastic reliable vehicle I couldn't be happier. When I bought the vehicle I was just going to college. The storage in the back of the vehicle is amazing for the size. For being a small vehicle it handled Wisconsin winters very very well. Definitely recommend Focus.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, pick up, storage space.