Used 2003 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Best in class
By 2.3 focus R

2003 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

improvements not required in the focus line up. performance is great with the 2.3 engine; better than almost any other car in its class, even better than the V-6 in my wife's malibu! It's relatively quiet, even w/ low profile tires. handling is great, as is comfort on longer trips. driver seat adjustability is great. If you like to drive, and you're on a budget, this is your car!

Engine! without a doubt, the 2.3L DOHC engine is a must have. runs far stronger than any four cyl. I've ever driven, and some V-6's too!

Only complaint I have is the wiper blades. the originals streaked soon after delivery, and the replacements on warranty weren't much better.

Great Car - especially for the $
By 03ZX5SVT

2003 Ford Focus SVT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

When I first bought this car I knew it was oriented to the performance side of the market, but I didn't realize how well sorted out the car was. It is a pleasure to drive on the highway on my daily communte and I've taken 1st place on the autoX on the weekends. The power is excellent for it's class and price and the 6 speed transmission makes it fun to run throught the gears. Handling is simply unbelievable - I've out paced miatas, porches and other expensive and more powerful cars on the track. My car has been mechanically sound too. No real problems to report. I Highly recommend this car - especially as a used one can be had for very little $$$

The optional stereo is incredilbe for stock system, HIDs from the factory for this price!, comfortable seats, great leather accents and a moon roof all out the door for less than $18K brand new. I get a smile everytime I drive it even after a year and 22K miles.

more torque down low - has good power after 2,500 rpms

good bang for the buck
By smacks

2003 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had the car for 4 months and I love it. My dollars went a long way in QUALITY, which is more than I can say for the competitors in it's price range.

OEM stereo is quite good, but that isn't a surprise. Fords consistantly offer above average stereos in their products.

Really no complaints from this vehicle. It has met or exceeded my expectations in every category.

A beautiful hypochondriac girlfriend.
By gukin

2003 Ford Focus SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

We started off well, me and my orange Euro appearance SVT when the clutch starting making odd sounds around 6000 miles. I brought it into the dealer where he replaced the clutch & flywheel. He also borked the exhaust system, alignment, and shift linkage. I brought it back because my SVT steered like a cow and the dealer aligned it and "balanced" the tires. He actually "unbalanced" the tire and now my car shakes like a paint mixer. The shift linkage broke three miles from home so I drove at 6000 RPM in first gear. The dealer repaired the shifter but crashed the front-end which now squeaks like an old rocking chair. Ford built it badly and the dealer has finished it off.

Looks cool, fun when it runs, great stereo until that breaks. Great handling until the dealer jacks the alignment & borks the wheel balance. Weak at low RPMs but since the shifter and cluch are trash, it's only drivable in 1'st anyway. Free loaner when in the shop!

Ford's initial quality & dealer quality are AWFUL. My car is a hopeless pile of junk. It steers awful, handles awful, shakes (if I can get it out of 1'st), scares me to death and, since the dealer has ruined it, the car is worthless(6700 miles). It could have been fun.

quite a good car
By asb

2003 Ford Focus LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I enjoy my new Focus. It is a confortable car and I like it. Still not confortable with the gas mileage...could be much better for this size car.

Performance in general and design

GAS MILEAGE