Used 2003 Ford Focus Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Ford Focus 03 dohc
By Ed Dickinson

2003 Ford Focus Wagon ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Drove car off show room, never had a problem, except normal maintenaince. The car needs more power, a min.of 190hp to 210hp. The lack of power is a big draw back wth the Ford Focus.

Favorite Features

Reliability, gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

More horsepower.

Terrific Car
By Joe Cardosi

2003 Ford Focus Wagon ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

My ZTW-wagon is the perfect urban vehicle. Easily hauls four adults and four sets of golf clubs. It handles like a sports car, is quiet with no rattles or squeaks, good pick-up for a 4-banger, 30-mph on trips, and is well-equipped. I have 6-CD stereo, 4-wheel disks with ABS, stability control, moon roof, 16-in aluminum wheels, low profile tires, vanity cover for the storage compartment, rear window wiper-washer, leather wrapped steering wheel, and plenty of storage pockets, bins, cup holders. It has over 60,000 miles without a single problem. The Volvo S-40 underpinnings help make it a wonderful car to drive.

Favorite Features

Handling, comfort, economy, and style.

Suggested Improvements

Heated mirrors, better assist pistons on rear hatch, cruise control on light.

used car = wow
By century33

2003 Ford Focus Wagon ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

We have owned our Focus ZTW wagon for almost 2 years. Purchased used with 13,644 miles on it, we got this fully loaded car for a great price and couldn't be happier with it. In this time we have driven 42,356 miles and the only repairs were new brakes and tires just within the past few weeks. This wagon is truly fun to drive on long trips. 795 miles = about $70.00 gas when gas was almost $3 per gallon, and the cargo room is great. This car replaced a 1994 Escort wagon LX that is STILL running. We loved that car as well, but needed something newer. In a nutshell... if you are in the market for a new small wagon, consider looking at a used Focus, it's a great value.

Favorite Features

ZTW is very fast on the interstate...roominess in cargo area, remote hatch release, higher stance than a lot of compacts, great gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Would like a better roof rack on wagon.

Too Many Repairs
By Toni E

2003 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Here I have a 2003 Ford Focus wagon with 52K miles. Decided to go on road trip; had to be towed twice. Started smoking, Ford dealer said it was battery. Then it died again; this time alternator replaced. Made it home and was told the a/c compressor is going. Real nice at this low mileage. In repair shop at least 7 times since I bought it. All about the brakes and rotors. No one could fix them right, still squeaked loudly. Final answer from mechanic that all Ford Focus's do this. Give me a break. I went to brake specialist and they fixed it. Doors sound like tin. Can't open left side passenger door. Just a piece of junk. The money I've spent on this car I could have had a wonderful vacation.

Favorite Features

Comfort of seats.

Suggested Improvements

Do something about brakes, doors, continuous problems. Ford needs to hire EXPERIENCED MECHANICS! I've gone to Ford dealerships in NY, Georgia and TN and they all know nothing.

Practical Performer
By Alleve23

2003 Ford Focus Wagon ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Traded in an SUV for this car in the North East. Performs well in the wet/snow conditions. The ZTW has provided me with more than adequate storage space and power. It is nimble and quick with the ZETEC. Rear shocks needed to be replaced at 2000 miles; they have been fixed and have given me no problems since. I have driven the vehicle 26,000 problem free miles per year and it has been holding up very well.

Favorite Features

Cargo space, visibility, handling, great design, feel of the small steering wheel, reliability, low cost of ownership.

Suggested Improvements

Larger seat bottom, the ability to direct the heat-a/c vents on the passengers, needs rear headrests, better mpg for a compact car.