2003 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Never Again
By stanlell on 06/17/06 09:36 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

In the shop twice for transmission problems before 12,000 miles. Took 1/4 tank of gas and 2 hours to go 23 miles up hills recently while traveling on vacation.Thought the transmission was going to fall out. Back again last week for same transmission problem that was "repaired" 18,000 miles ago, only had to pay $100 deductible even though it is under full warranty. Afraid to drive up a hill because I am out of cash and cannot afford another $100 should it have to go back in the shop. I will never again have a Ford product and this one will be gone as soon as I make the last payment. Hello Toyota.

Focus ZX3 Hatchback
By Barbara on 06/15/06 07:56 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've been disappointed with this vehicle's gas mileage since I purchased it. I've found that larger automobiles get better gas mileage. I have a gas tank that holds just over 11 gallons and when I travel 350 miles to visit my son the car uses about a tank and a half of fuel. That figures out to be less than 22 MPG on a road trip.

Great City Car!
By Bob on 04/22/06 06:26 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Tight car! Solid, no rattles, more than adequate power and handles well! Love it as city runabout, easy entry, exit, parking and great visibility all around. Hatchback can carry BIG loads, like a mini SUV! Over 30k miles, no problems yet. Have a loaded automatic, sunroof and all extras yet it still doesn't have a rattle it - wife loves it too - Just leave the Town Car in the garage and use the Focus in the city!

Fun car
By JY on 10/15/05 00:15 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand new. I love it! I have so much fun driving it. It's a pretty slick looking car too. So, far the only problem I had was with the cd player. It quit working & 2 of my cds got stuck in it.

So far so good
By Yemats on 10/11/05 16:00 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car performs better than I expected for the cost. The mileage is somewhat disappointing with the automatic -- only about 25, mostly highway. It has plenty of power and handles great, very smooth and quiet. The only problem I have experienced is a malfunctioning hatch release.

Nothing but problems
By IR on 09/02/05 11:55 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased this vehicle on the recommendation of Consumer Reports. So far this car has had nothing but problems. Ford dealership replaced the clutch, airbags, alternator, and the engine computer. Overall quality is below average; there's a reason why this car has a low resale value.

Leave it curbside with your garbage!
By nelmania on 07/11/05 22:15 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've always been wary of buying a Ford and now I know why. It's a mistake I will only make once. Hopefully it's not too late for you! I purchased my '03 Focus 2 months ago with 19,000 miles. I have taken it in to the dealership 3 times now due to stalling problems and each time the dealership says there isn't a problem and does NOTHING, not even a courtesy car! My confidence in this vehicle and Ford as a whole is about as low as it gets.

Better than expected
By 2focused on 04/24/05 00:32 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Lots of fun to drive, good mileage and great handling with the SVT suspension I Installed for $325 and 6 hours labor.

Much Better than I would have thought...
By hatchback2 on 03/02/05 14:50 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my manual Focus hatchback for more than 18 months and have had zero problems. After 41,000 miles I've had no problems with tires, brakes, nothing. Maybe the first years stunk but I see no reason to put down this car. No, it isnt' a BMW but what do you expect? Very impressive on snow and ice. Just had brakes checked and still well within specs. So far much better than the VW Golf I had before this.

much fun for the money
By bobdman on 01/07/05 20:40 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was not sure at first on the test drive but liked it enough to buy it. I must say i'm impressed with the ride and handling but felt that the front end seemed to feel a tad heavy in aggressive cornering but still a ball to drive in the twisties.