2003 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Very safe and reliable car
By malongal on 04/24/11 21:04 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car brand new and owned for 8 years. Drove sparingly with only 45,000 miles when she got totaled. I have been in 4 major accidents with this car (none of them my fault) and every time had no injuries and no interior damage to the car. Nothing ever had to be replaced except spark plugs and only issues were check engine light coming on for no reason and gauges flickering sometimes when the car was turned off. I enjoyed driving it, not the most comfortable for long periods of time but a very smooth ride. I am sad to see this car go, would have kept it for a very long time.

REALLY reliable
By twamebrown on 04/22/11 20:19 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been GREAT. I bought it with about 30k miles on it and now it has 90k with very little put into it. Give her regular oil changes and this car will just keep on going. I had to put new tires on it, new brakes and change the lock cylinder when I bought it, but outside of that, it has been perfect. It runs smooth and shifts beautifully. I get about 25 mpg with mostly city driving. Sometimes when I shut the trunk it doesn't latch, but I just have to shut it again. Great car, will drive it into the ground.

Great Car for Reasonable price.
By lilkk on 04/03/11 11:13 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned my 2003 Ford Focus ZX3-5 speed manual since July of 2003. For being a lower priced vehicle I couldn't have asked for a better more reliable vehicle. I've only had two problems over the last, almost, 8 years. The first full summer I owned the vehicle the A/C went out, but was covered under warranty-no hassles. Recently I had to replace the alternator, otherwise besides routine maintenace it has been a fantastic reliable vehicle I couldn't be happier. When I bought the vehicle I was just going to college. The storage in the back of the vehicle is amazing for the size. For being a small vehicle it handled Wisconsin winters very very well. Definitely recommend Focus.

car from hell
By nel7 on 03/19/11 21:54 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a Ford Focus 2003 (automatic) from a private party, used. Only after owning and driving regularly, I noticed how poor the suspension was. It is the stiffest suspension one can imagine. It is so bad that I bought heel support/shock absorber for my feet to heal my right heel, which is soar from all the suspension-related "beatings". My back hurts from longer drives as well. The seat is a horror-trap, despite added pillows. The mileage per gallon is rather poor: about 23 at the most in the city, and about 32 on the freeway. For a 2.0 engine, this is rather weak. And it has the classic Ford engine noise. Uncomfortable, weak mileage, noisy, and undesirable. Don't buy a Ford Focus.

Whatta Steal w/the Special 2.3L Engine
By wnyfordguy on 01/14/11 11:58 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Focus ZX5 Comfort 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this used on 3/31/09 w/58k miles for my eldest son to commute to college. I got it cheap after previous owner bought it damaged the prior fall - it was in a front-end collision; he did most of the repairs himself. Regardless, this car is solid! It's amazingly quick for a 4-banger. That's because it was sold in NY, so it has the 2.3L Duratec PZEV engine that produces 145 HP, as opposed to the weaker 2.0L engines that came with most 03 MY 'Foci'. Around the town gas mileage is OK-to-Very Good (21-24 MPG), but it's great on highway trips (up to 29 MPG). Also, it's very comfortable and fun/different to drive - maybe that's what others refer to as this car's "European" feel.

I will miss you
By WHAT2BUY? on 10/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus SE Comfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My husband just totaled my 03 Focus. It had 93,000 miles, and i bought it brand new. It was paid off and i have never had any problems with it or put any money into it except for very recently. Just before he wrecked it, i paid $240 to have a new ignition switch put in since the key wouldn't turn. (had to be towed to fugate ford). What to buy now?

7 yr review: a reliable car overall
By randy on 09/20/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus ZX5 Premium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Just reaching the 140,000 mile mark, car has been very dependable and easy to maintain, and much MUCH cheaper to maintain than the 99 Civic i had before. My Focus has been used as a commuter car, sees a mix of highway and city miles and all four seasons (cold brutal winters) Had a few minor problems along the way, but it never left me stranded or cost a fortune to fix. I would recommend this car, it would be a great vehicle for a student because its reliable and economical.

Not a Lemon, but NOT a great car
By CharlestonGurl on 08/20/10 08:01 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 03 Ford Focus LX used at 35000 mi. Drove great for first year. Soon after, alternator died (after draining 2 batteries), brakes CONSTANTLY squealed (even after replacing rotors), a pipe to the engine RUSTED OFF (luckily a friend could replace it for me), tail lights died a lot, ridiculous rattle/vibration in the dash that would go away if you hit the dashboard, trunk would not latch since the last few months. I was in a wreck a month ago that totaled the car at 141,000 mi. I walked away without a scratch, so I guess the car was pretty durable. Wouldn't purchase another one though, I'm looking for a Toyota Camry or Nissan Altima now.

Money Pit
By u2 on 08/01/10 20:01 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Been towed to repair shops about a dozen times over the past 6 years. I would not buy a ford focus again.

REVIEW
By Mrs.Mechanic 6/23/10 on 06/23/10 06:04 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my car in 2006. It had 27,528 miles. Now at 113,200 miles. I have had no major problems with it, with the exception of poor lighting. I just replaced the motor mount, and the ignition switch last year(09). I think this is a great starter car for any young person.