2003 Ford Focus Consumer Review: 2003 was a bad year for Focus.

2003 Ford Focus - Consumer Review

SE Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

2003 was a bad year for Focus.
By Jerome Barry on

2003 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought mine used at 19,000 miles, and have had it for 13 months now. The drivetrain has performed well, except for the 1-2 shift issue appearing at sudden brief stops. I don't typically drive that way, so it's not a problem. My problems have included the windshield wiper motor control, which had to be replaced, the cruise control, which had some connector that had to be replaced, the remote control trunk latch, which had to be replaced and even then had to be taken back and adjusted to proper operation, and the ignition cylinder, which caused a short and had to be replaced. All told I've had the vehicle in the shop 6 times in a year for warranty repair and re-repair.

Favorite Features

I like the 100,000 mile antifreeze. I appreciate the safety cage design for collision accidents. I like the ingress and egress without having to adjust the seat.

Suggested Improvements

The turn signal audible click is much too loud. The 3:1 ratio of FM:AM bands should be a 2:2 ratio. The cruise control should promptly "resume" when commanded, rather than pause and consider before engaging. The noise from turning wheels shows that improvement can be made there. Use better paint.