Used 2003 Ford Focus Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Focus Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

2003 Focus ZTW
By Roger

2003 Ford Focus Wagon ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I now have 135000 miles on this car. I have owned it from new. Only problem is that it wears out a lot of tires. Doesn't seem to help to align and rotate. last set of tires lasted 20,000 miles. Perhaps because they are the low profile 16 inch. Otherwise car uses no oil, averages 23mpg combined city and highway.

Good reliablity - except for tires

Improve quality of suspension components.

Tires
By crap

2003 Ford Focus Wagon ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This car gets great gas mileage but has cost me a fortune in tires. I bought the ZTW focus 2.0l 5sp wagon new and it no has 88,000 mi on it. I get no more than 15,000 mi out of a set of 15" tires whether cheap or expensive (back have gotten as little a 10K). Called Ford up they said "never heard of that before" but yet supplies my dealer w/ alignment kits to try and cure. Struts blew at 10k . On 3rd set of rear seat belts. Rear latch changed under recall- new latch worse-latch sometimes opens when hit bump-things fall out. Can no longer read LCD #s on blaupunct radio. Dashboard different color than rest of plastics. ps pump leak at 30k.

About 36mpg if careful-seats are pretty comfy - not bad looking for a wagon -5 spd. - ok storage - Carried the 8' lumber(both inside and out)to rework my deck. Peppy

Fix tire issue. Backend way too light for driving in snow- rear whips around easy even w studs. safety belts should hold up better. radio (why do people feel everything has to be digital it is not any faster on a radio or oven for that matter)

Awful
By Richard

2003 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Picked this up just over a year ago with 38,000 miles on it & over a year of original powertrain warranty left. Since then, it's been into the shop many times. I've spent over $3,000 repairing this vehicle, replacing the a/c compressor, the a/c condenser, the alternator, the tensioner pulley, & the front sway bars amongst other things. None of the repairs were covered by the warranty. The car now has 47,300 miles on it, & I can't wait to trade it in. In my opinion, I think that overall, it's a good idea poorly executed, put together with poor quality parts.

Appearance, ride, handling - it got me into the dealership, & I was impressed with the test drive

Quality

Nice Wagon
By Deb

2003 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This is a great little wagon with exceptional gas mileage. Right now has 100,000 on it an still running nicely. The ignition lock froze up around 70,000 and had to be replaced and the shift solenoid in the tranny was just done last week. Other than that, just general maintenance. Have driven this car all over the country and it's always started and run nicely. I do not go to dealerships for upkeep on my car, I go to Firestone so haven't had problems with recurrent brake issues, etc.

Cargo space, gas mileage, comfortable.

Fix the problem with the frozen ignitions.

Great Car!
By FocusFan

2003 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This is my first car and so far it has been great. We've had it for a year and it hasn't had so much as a battery problem-Extremely reliable. The car is easy and fun to drive with tight steering and a lot of zip to it. Both the interior and exterior have a really cool design. I do a have some complaints; The interior-actually the whole car- has an overuse of cheap plastic and the brakes squeak, but only in very cold, rainy, or snowy weather. If you're looking for a reliable car you can't go wrong with the Focus.

Reliable, fun to drive, easy to drive and great mpg.

Make the interior a little less cheap, no more plastic door handles, fix the brakes!