2003 Ford Focus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Very safe and reliable car
By malongal on 04/24/11 21:04 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car brand new and owned for 8 years. Drove sparingly with only 45,000 miles when she got totaled. I have been in 4 major accidents with this car (none of them my fault) and every time had no injuries and no interior damage to the car. Nothing ever had to be replaced except spark plugs and only issues were check engine light coming on for no reason and gauges flickering sometimes when the car was turned off. I enjoyed driving it, not the most comfortable for long periods of time but a very smooth ride. I am sad to see this car go, would have kept it for a very long time.

REALLY reliable
By twamebrown on 04/22/11 20:19 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been GREAT. I bought it with about 30k miles on it and now it has 90k with very little put into it. Give her regular oil changes and this car will just keep on going. I had to put new tires on it, new brakes and change the lock cylinder when I bought it, but outside of that, it has been perfect. It runs smooth and shifts beautifully. I get about 25 mpg with mostly city driving. Sometimes when I shut the trunk it doesn't latch, but I just have to shut it again. Great car, will drive it into the ground.

car from hell
By nel7 on 03/19/11 21:54 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a Ford Focus 2003 (automatic) from a private party, used. Only after owning and driving regularly, I noticed how poor the suspension was. It is the stiffest suspension one can imagine. It is so bad that I bought heel support/shock absorber for my feet to heal my right heel, which is soar from all the suspension-related "beatings". My back hurts from longer drives as well. The seat is a horror-trap, despite added pillows. The mileage per gallon is rather poor: about 23 at the most in the city, and about 32 on the freeway. For a 2.0 engine, this is rather weak. And it has the classic Ford engine noise. Uncomfortable, weak mileage, noisy, and undesirable. Don't buy a Ford Focus.

I will miss you
By WHAT2BUY? on 10/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus Sedan SE Comfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My husband just totaled my 03 Focus. It had 93,000 miles, and i bought it brand new. It was paid off and i have never had any problems with it or put any money into it except for very recently. Just before he wrecked it, i paid $240 to have a new ignition switch put in since the key wouldn't turn. (had to be towed to fugate ford). What to buy now?

Not a Lemon, but NOT a great car
By CharlestonGurl on 08/20/10 08:01 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 03 Ford Focus LX used at 35000 mi. Drove great for first year. Soon after, alternator died (after draining 2 batteries), brakes CONSTANTLY squealed (even after replacing rotors), a pipe to the engine RUSTED OFF (luckily a friend could replace it for me), tail lights died a lot, ridiculous rattle/vibration in the dash that would go away if you hit the dashboard, trunk would not latch since the last few months. I was in a wreck a month ago that totaled the car at 141,000 mi. I walked away without a scratch, so I guess the car was pretty durable. Wouldn't purchase another one though, I'm looking for a Toyota Camry or Nissan Altima now.

Money Pit
By u2 on 08/01/10 20:01 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Been towed to repair shops about a dozen times over the past 6 years. I would not buy a ford focus again.

Poor Quality & Engineering-Ford Cops Out
By Cold Mainer on 06/03/10 15:30 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus Sedan SE Comfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Fun car with great gas mileage if driven correctly. I average 34 MPG on the highway at 60 MPH. A major flaw of this vehicle has been the rear suspension. It has too much negative rear camber and not enough toe. This causes wear to the inside edges of the rear tires. This is not adjustable and must be accomplished with the use of aftermarket parts. It cost me $350.00 to get this problem fixed. It has stopped eating tires now and has improved the safety of the vehicle. I have 48,000 miles on my latest set of tires now. This vehicle was very dangerous when operated in snow and wet conditions. It always wanted to spin around before I got the rear end problem fixed. Trunk latch, ignition rp

Reliable as a tank
By Tdwillis on 05/27/10 06:24 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus Sedan SE Comfort 4dr Sedan w/Zetec (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We have had this car since it was new and now we have 188k on it and all I have to say it has been super reliable and flawless. The only problem early on were the front sway links, but mechanically our focus has been and still is remarkably reliable. The trans and engine is original and has never been serviced for nothing. We also have never had a check engine light come on and it passes the emissions test every time with flying colors. Our Focus also doesn't burn a drop of oil. I don't know why everyone else has had the problems they have with their Focus but my experience has been very positive. Driving this car 300k miles doesn't seem like a fantasy anymore.

Solid
By Matt on 05/24/10 12:12 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I knew even when I bought this car that I would never truly love it, but it has been rock solid for me over the last three years. Outside of routine maintenance, I haven't had a single headache or repair. I keep wanting something to go wrong so I can talk my wife into letting me get a sexier vehicle, but my Focus just keeps plugging away. I could have paid far more for a used Civic or Corolla, but I wouldn't have gotten a better or more reliable car.

Traded a Gas guzzler for a Money Guzzler
By disappointmentabound on 04/05/10 16:33 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus Sedan SE Comfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great car for the first 45,000 miles! The tranny went out and was replaced under warranty at 3 years old. A year after the transmission replacement, the brakes went out and had to be completely replaced. About two months after the brakes, the struts went out. Also had to have them replaced. Upgraded stereo went out then, started hearing a terrible front end grinding noise-was told it was the transmission. Called the dealership and they said it was 3 days out of warranty. Took it to a different dealership and was told the motor mounts were also bad. Oh, and the ignition switch locked up. Was gonna just sell it, resale on the car isn't even $1500 but it gets great gas mileage.