Used 2003 Ford Focus Sedan Consumer Reviews - 136 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Focus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Focus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

As good as the Japanese
By connemara

2003 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have a 2003 focus that just passed 160 kilometers and other than regular maintenance like tires, brakes, oil changes I have only had to replace the trunk opening latch ($150). It has the smallest engine (2.0 twin port), manual trans and I put 16 inch wheels and a hogher aspect than stock tires on it to maximize mileage. Even with this high gearing it still has reasonable torque to pass in high gear. Best steering and handing in a North American car and you sit up high not like sitting in a hole like a Honda. Styling is still fresh after all these years, going to keep for at least another 5 years. Hey it long been paid for

Handing, steering, reliability, styling

120hp should be minimum, better rear seat lighting

Very Satisfied and Impressed with my Focus
By auto_engineer

2003 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I owned my 2003 Focus ZTS for 6 months now. Im shocked but its performance for its affordable price. The steering is tight and feels very sporty and handles the corners very well. Gas mileage I get is at least 32 MPG Highway and 26 City. It has a nice stereo system with good bass It also has CD/MP3 player along with Traffic Reports and the and News Reports. Many Focus for this year has different Radio Units, This particular one is my favorite. Seats are Very soft and very easy to clean. Rides very stable at high speeds. The rear spolier gives it enough down force for better handling as well. Low Profile Tires give it a good look. DOHC engine has some pep.I would recommand this car to anyone

1. The DOHC 16 Valve 4 cylinder is one of my most favorites. Its faster then most naturally aspirated 4 cylinders out there now. 2. The Exterior Sport Design gives it a nice slick look to it along with the interior design to match the exterior. The Grey sport gagues makes it feels like your riding in a racing car 3. The handling and feel of the car. The car handles great around corners and handles bumps in the road pretty well. The leather wrapped steering wheel has a sports car look to it and feels like a luxury car 4. The gas mileage is good. the car is very quiet. the engine is very smooth and responsive and still has passing power at 70mph. 5. MOST IMPORTANT: Very Very Reliable

1.Would of liked it if they made Advance Traction Control standard on all ZTS models. 2. Heat seats would also be great if it was standard on all ZTS models instead of it being on a few ZTS models. 3. Could use a rear dome light for the rear passengers. 4. Very Very Cold A/C which is a good thing but the blower motor could be a little more quieter other wise thats not a major issuse.

Got ripped off what people say is true about the focus
By kyle710

2003 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it 6 months ago its a 2003 with 96000 miles I got a bad deal on it since it was a buy here pay here deal 8500$ but still. In the 6 months its been on a tow truck 3 times first the alternator that happen 20 min after I bought it! But they thought it was the battery so they fixed that for me then The check engine light was on brought it to my mechanic and they said it needed a thermostat and new hoses. 610$ later. Then the ac compressor went out and had that towed because it LOCKED the whole car up and wouldnt start. Now my check engine lights on again and also the "check gas cap" light and the gas cap is on... I never thought a car could be so buggy. Giving it back when taxes come back

Handling and radio. But can feel ever bump in the road and when its raining or road is wet the front shocks sound like a sweaky toy. But speakers are rather Impressive for 9 year old stalk speakers.

Um I can only hope the new focus is better i think it just needed a all new redesign. Its just a cheap car that isnt so cheap to maintain. And btw its an auto trans which is starting to mess up which is sending the check engine light on and off sometimes my mechanic said. Sad even my own dealership after the fact said to me. "a Ford focus is like a bic lighter once it runs outta gas you throw it away." I agree completely! Dont know if id buy another ford again.

not my fav car but she saved my life.
By brit6

2003 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

for the most part i like this car.. not my fav car i've had but i was recently re-ended in my focus and she did exactly what she was designed to do. adjuster said there is a impact bar behind the bumper. when the guy in the jeep that rear ended me it bent and bounced him back off of me and destroyed his front end but looked like it didn't do a thing to my rear ended besides looking like it got tapped a lil. it hurt.. i will be honest about that but if i was in a different vehicle the outcome would of been different and a lot worse. did about 2300 dollars in damage but is not totaled. for the price.. i will never complain again for my money. does have it's issues but what ford doesn't??

it's simple in every category. almost a idiot could drive it. definitely replace factory radio. i stuck with a blaupunkt.. factory sucked but i love my aftermarket cd player for sure.. i did have subs in the trunk and it sounded awesome in this little car. wish i had cruise control on mine for road trip but i love the fact that i have a hard time squeezing 35 bucks in the tank for almost empty. get decent gas millage. wish i was better in the city. brakes are great. has it's own issues but like i said. what ford doesn't?? but i can agree fords are tough.

definitely needs more space overall

Wow ! Love it !
By antho14

2003 Ford Focus Sedan SE Comfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The 2003 Ford Focus Se Comfort is my first car.I bought it used on July 2010 for the sum of $ 3,200 from a dealer.The rust was starting on the bottom but I paint it completely and give it back a fresh brand-new look.The flexible part of the mufler' pipe juste broke.The oil seal broke too. I replaced 2 door locks. The suspension is very smooth, love it!The acceleration is poor but the car itself is maid to economize fuel and I like it. Great body look, unique one !After 78 000Mi in 9 years, the car looks new.The interior is simple but I love it that way.Hard plastic make noise but, the great 4 speakers sound system make me forget them. In overall, a great car but the body is fragile and rust.

-Great look (inside and outside !) -Smooth suspension -Poor fuel consomation -Fun to drive -Comfortable seats -Engine fiability

-The body rust easily...This is unfortunate because the look is great and we need to paint it again to fight the rust. -The reliability of some body parts.