Used 2003 Ford Focus Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Don't Waste Your Money!
By rubypussycat

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was excited to get my used car in 2003, but quickly regretted buying it a year later. I first thought it was the dealership because the seatbelt still needed to be fixed and they took out the spare tire when I recieved the car the same day. I have kept all the receipts and made an excel list of all the repairs and maintence I have done so far. So here it is: 3 starters, 1 alternator, ingition switch, cd player fixed (it kept shutting off by itself), 3 positive battery terminals and positve battery cable. My car is now at 100,858 miles because I have done most repairs by myself, but I DO NOT recommend anyone to buy this car. This is not typical for any vehicle!!

Favorite Features

I Love the interior! It has soo much room in the trunk and nice head room for passengers, but little leg room. It has great pickup and goes fast.

Great Car for Reasonable price.
By lilkk

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned my 2003 Ford Focus ZX3-5 speed manual since July of 2003. For being a lower priced vehicle I couldn't have asked for a better more reliable vehicle. I've only had two problems over the last, almost, 8 years. The first full summer I owned the vehicle the A/C went out, but was covered under warranty-no hassles. Recently I had to replace the alternator, otherwise besides routine maintenace it has been a fantastic reliable vehicle I couldn't be happier. When I bought the vehicle I was just going to college. The storage in the back of the vehicle is amazing for the size. For being a small vehicle it handled Wisconsin winters very very well. Definitely recommend Focus.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, pick up, storage space.

Whatta Steal w/the Special 2.3L Engine
By wnyfordguy

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 Comfort 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this used on 3/31/09 w/58k miles for my eldest son to commute to college. I got it cheap after previous owner bought it damaged the prior fall - it was in a front-end collision; he did most of the repairs himself. Regardless, this car is solid! It's amazingly quick for a 4-banger. That's because it was sold in NY, so it has the 2.3L Duratec PZEV engine that produces 145 HP, as opposed to the weaker 2.0L engines that came with most 03 MY 'Foci'. Around the town gas mileage is OK-to-Very Good (21-24 MPG), but it's great on highway trips (up to 29 MPG). Also, it's very comfortable and fun/different to drive - maybe that's what others refer to as this car's "European" feel.

Favorite Features

Engine works great w/ the 4-spd Auto Transmission - shifts are very smooth, car moves very quickly. Suspension seems to have been tuned just right for great balance between performance and comfort, The interior is roomy, even in back seat. Respectable amount of storage area under the hatch. Despite the pseudo-geeky looks of its rear-end appearance, with the turn-signal/brake lights up high on the pillars, my sons like it a lot better then the '93 neon green Escort LX I bought a few years back. Now that my son is out of college and in the USAF, I'm definitely looking to help him get an '07 Focus hatchback as his first car, especially since Consumer Repts recommends it very highly.

Suggested Improvements

The std 15" alloy wheels look nice, but their design and excessive brake dust from the front discs makes them very hard to keep clean. Even after replacing the headlights w/ Sylvania Silverstars, the coverage pattern is a lot different to what I'm used to. Also, when you switch from low-to-high beams, the lows cut out completely, leaving only the highs operating. I've never noticed this in any other car I've ever driven - it took a while to get used to. BTW, I couldn't replace the driver's side lamp w/o ruining the retaining clip - it was way too hard a job for me to do w/ my large hands. Replaced the factory-installed Blaupunkt Stereo/CD, which sounded great, but had bad LCD display.

7 yr review: a reliable car overall
By randy

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 Premium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Just reaching the 140,000 mile mark, car has been very dependable and easy to maintain, and much MUCH cheaper to maintain than the 99 Civic i had before. My Focus has been used as a commuter car, sees a mix of highway and city miles and all four seasons (cold brutal winters) Had a few minor problems along the way, but it never left me stranded or cost a fortune to fix. I would recommend this car, it would be a great vehicle for a student because its reliable and economical.

Favorite Features

Handling, shifter feel, seating position, reliability, cost of ownership.

Suggested Improvements

A bit more power would be nice, more powerful seat heaters, and i never did like the dash design.

REVIEW
By Mrs.Mechanic 6/23/10

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my car in 2006. It had 27,528 miles. Now at 113,200 miles. I have had no major problems with it, with the exception of poor lighting. I just replaced the motor mount, and the ignition switch last year(09). I think this is a great starter car for any young person.

Favorite Features

Trunk space, gas mileage, Fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Lights, need more room.