Used 2003 Ford Focus SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Too Many Repairs
By Toni E

2003 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Here I have a 2003 Ford Focus wagon with 52K miles. Decided to go on road trip; had to be towed twice. Started smoking, Ford dealer said it was battery. Then it died again; this time alternator replaced. Made it home and was told the a/c compressor is going. Real nice at this low mileage. In repair shop at least 7 times since I bought it. All about the brakes and rotors. No one could fix them right, still squeaked loudly. Final answer from mechanic that all Ford Focus's do this. Give me a break. I went to brake specialist and they fixed it. Doors sound like tin. Can't open left side passenger door. Just a piece of junk. The money I've spent on this car I could have had a wonderful vacation.

Comfort of seats.

Do something about brakes, doors, continuous problems. Ford needs to hire EXPERIENCED MECHANICS! I've gone to Ford dealerships in NY, Georgia and TN and they all know nothing.

Ford Focus 2003
By zane lommock

2003 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have performed only standard maintenance on this auto since purchase. I placed tires on car at 33,000 miles. Car gets excellent mileage on highway and city driving. Only complaint is lack of power from 110 hp engine, adequate but only just.

The handling on car is excellent, especially with the 65/185 tires that came with car.

Needs more power but no doubt would hurt gas mileage.

Terrible Brakes
By T. Egan

2003 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car from dealership with 17,000 miles (a previous rental) and had to bring back to dealership several times. Back brakes continuously squealing. After 4th time, still noisy as ever. Finally told, well that's just how the brakes are on the Focus. The doors are very hard to open. I've had this car more in the shop than any other vehicle I've ever owned. Very hard to squeeze your hand down on side of seats to get to levers and I have very small hands.

Style of wagon.

Brakes, brakes, brakes! Till this day they are still screeching away. Everyone looks at me when I come to stop or go down a hill.

Not bad so far
By BadAndy

2003 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

The Good: Spacious Front/Trunk. Premium Sound with mp3/cd player. Thoughtful moveable driver hand rest/item bin. Power everything AND Cruise control. 6 speed int. wiper. 24/27 mpg w AC, 30/33 mpg w/o AC. Low/Mid highway road noise. The Bad: Gear change hangs/jerks from zero to low-very annoying, thoughtful hand rest not so thoughtful for bigger people (gets in way of seatbelt buckle when down). Trunk lid doesn’t pop all the way up, gets very uncomfortable after long period of driving. The Ugly: The gear change ratio makes an otherwise very peppy, sprightly car feel grossly underpowered.

Mp3/CD player, Mp3/CD player, Premium sound system, Spacious driver seat, Nice trunk space, Flip down back seats, Power everything, Cruise Control, Nifty places for coins etc., Low/Mid highway noise (better than most small cars), Moveable hand rest and finally Mp3/CD player.

Quicker shifting (VW Style). Relocate seatbelt buckle for driver seat or redesign driver hand rest. Longer, Shorter or relocate gear stick {cramped for tall drivers as it is}. Make DRL standard. Allow trunk to pop all the way up. Open door light in dash per door not 1 for all.

A Ford able
By Mano-man

2003 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Need to replace a 1996 Dodge caravan (money pit). A friend of my wife had just bought a Focus wagon and she loved it. So we went and had a look. Nice style, comfortable seats, good visibility, plenty of power, and nice extras. Test drove it in town and out on the highway and was amazed at the fine handling in the mountains. As for power I'm happy as this is my wife's car, but the power is there. On driving it home I was shocked that I was well over the speed limit when I looked at the speedo for the first time. Decided to use cruise control until I got the feel for it 's speed. So if your looking for a nice wagon look no futher.

Economy, clean lines, comfortable seats, lots of storage space and a color that realy grew on me.

Small under front seat storage compartments for those things you want out of view.