2003 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Great Car
By 2112Rush on 08/15/08 15:33 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This Focus has been the most reliable and fun car that we have had so far. It's is great with gas. Only big problem that we've had with it is something with the timing belts. But overall it has been a great car, very, very reliable. And the price isn't bad either.

Swaying Impressions
By WrstPirateever on 08/10/08 18:28 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

For a 2 door, this thing is fun to drive. Pretty good acceleration, and plenty of trunk space once the back seat is folded down. I couldnt believe it when I fit my new 42 inch TV in there and noone else could either! The back seat is useless for passengers unless they have no legs. Very tight quarters back there. Now for the bad. I've never had so much trouble with traction especially on wet roads. I also have less than 60,000 miles and I've already had to have a brand new transmission put in (luckily covered under warranty) and new tie rod ends. Now I'm having issues with what I believe is the air intake control. Finally, this thing eats through tires like crazy

A great car for the money
By Anonymous on 08/08/08 09:36 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Ford Focus! The brakes do squeal, which I've heard many times is normal in a Focus. Had them replaced at about 15,000 miles, and haven't been a problem since then. Also, had a problem with the tie-rod, as well as a rough idle. But, once these problems were fixed, the car has been great! I drive my wife's Toyota Camry too, and my car is so much nicer! It's at the just right comfort level, so I don't fall asleep on long road trips. Also, it speeds up nicely. Has a couple dings, but I love my car, and will run it into the ground. Bought it new, and been driving it for 5 years now. I love the fact that I get 5 more mpg on highways than my wife, so we regularly take my car to Washington

2.3 PZEV ZX3 Focus 5 speed
By shopwrd on 06/08/08 20:36 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been great. 63,000 miles (owned since new) and the engine has yet to sputter with hesitation. Average low 30's mpg and the highest I've got so far is 41mpg from San Diego to San Jose. More than adequate power and it has never had one problem!

The Ambiguous Focus
By Zetec on 05/04/08 19:24 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I loved this car from the start and began to modify it. Lowered racing suspension and rims with high qaulity tires made it handle great, best car I ever had, good power but not great, its not really a sports car after all. Replaced front wheel bearings at 60k after some vibration. After that at 72k i turned on the AC and the blower motor caught fire under the dash and burned the interior pretty badly before it was put out, as I was driving it was considered a car accident not a auto fire and I wasn't covered, total loss. I am however getting a new Focus. I'll roll down the windows

Exceeds expectations
By P K on 04/17/08 21:11 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car at 1 yr/8k thinking I would sell it in a year or two. But it has been a great car for four years and now 50k miles. It has been reliable and drives pretty sporty for 130 hp. The premium stereo is amazing for a factory model. The interior is larger than you would expect for a car this size when the rear seat is down. I have only two gripes. The brakes have always been squeaky and the gas mileage of the automatic is not as good as you would expect from a small car. Small complaints compared to the value of this car. I have been very happy with this car.

Problems?...Not Ford's.
By Derek Ripley on 01/14/08 13:10 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for almost a year, I bought it with about 65k miles on it. I have never had any problems with this car other than ones that I solved, and they were problems that I could have avoided. It's fun to drive, gets better than est. gas mileage.

Basically, a very good car
By Lance on 01/12/08 14:53 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Low mileage car when I bought it. 2.0 Zetec, 5 spd. I drive it conservatively & get 35mpg overall. Love hatchback room & a pity it is no longer offered. A very good, reliable car, new, or used, for the money.

Personal thoughts of my first new car
By John on 01/09/08 00:08 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Fun to drive with its sharp cornering abilities, handles better than some all wheel drive vehicles in the snow and on the ice. It's low to the ground for superb handling. Will hold very well in cold conditions.

Ford Fun Car...
By Ford Fun CAr... on 09/17/07 16:29 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great city and short range trip car. Tight! Quick, totally adaquate. Can steal a parking place in a heart beat! Handles great. Would definitely recomment or buy again. Plus good visibility.