Used 2003 Ford Focus Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Fun and reliable
By TTR9000

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Fun and reliable is this car in two words. It is a fun car with a lot of pep. A lot of room and is very reliable dont let other peoples reviews deter you in getting this car because they say that it is unrealible. They are only saying this because that when the first focus came out their was a lot of recalls, but that was only like the first year and all of that is over with. I am glad their was recalls atleast they tell you about and fix the problem.

A lot of pep, comfortable and get the 6 cd changer.

More power is the only thing i can say needs improvement but it has enough to pass on the highway. I think all of the foci should have 170hp like the svt focus.

My First Car
By 089437620583

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The company i work for deploys Ford Focus wagons and i drive one 100+ miles each day... So a Focus was my first choise when it came to buying a new car. The car rides super smooth and is really quiet. It's very comfortable and everything is within reach. The guages are easy to read and the 5-speed is very fun. In the department of reliabilaty, not a problem. My work car has been in 3 accidents and the only thing wrong with it squeaky breaks. Nothing has gone wrong with it except for problems that were the result of human error. My car has turned out to be a fun, cheap, reliable car to drive.

The standard CD player that sounds good, standard A/C, peppy engine, and is just a good looking, fun car.

Why would anyone design a car without a center arm rest?!?!?! Lack of power windows and locks is also a bummer. Also an adjustable steering wheel please!

2003 ZX3
By SilverOne

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 Power Premium 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I used to have a 2000 ZX3 before this and I loved it. I put way too many miles on it and just had to get a new car. I decided on the ZX3 once again because of how much of a great vehicle it was. It's very fun to drive, has very good performance and power for a 130hp engine, the handling is great and it has lots of room. They have made many improvments on the newer models and fixed a few things also. I know I'm going to like this car as much as I did the last and will probably get yet another Focus after this one! Sounds crazy but I really do like them.

Good power for a 130hp engine, lots of room, 6 disc CD, no changing the coolant till 100,000 miles, handling of the car, and the ride of the car is good too.

Some of the interior parts could have better quailty, NVH could be improved for the engine and the interior sound could be improved. The eingine has great power for it's size but could be jumped up a little. Maybe to around 150 or so.

New Owner Review
By mcoene

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 Power Premium 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Being 6'5" with a long torso, it was tough for me to find an economical vehicle both in terms of cost and fuel economy. I have a long commute and so far am delighted with my new ZX3.

The sunroof is great, stereo is good, and the stick shift makes it fun to drive. Stick with cruise is a good feature combo.

More power with the same fuel economy. I have one of the new 145hp PZEV engines and think that it could use another 20 ponies to be really fun. Suspension could be a little stiffer, but handles great!

ZX5-Comfort
By RipRiley

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 Comfort 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have been very pleased with this vehicle. I got it for the fuel economy and the 100K drive train warranty. But I was surprised how fun the car is to drive. It is the best handling car I've owned. Ok, here is the MPG scoop. For the first 2000 miles I got a city/highway combined 31 MPG. Since then it has steadily gone up. Now at 8000+ miles I get 35 MPG. That is about 60% highway 40% city. Average highway speed 75 MPH.

Handling, more power than I expected, MPG, bunch of standard features...my cd player even plays MP3s.

Seat comfort..can I get some lumbar support please. Higher 5 gear, at 72 MPH the motor is turning 3K RPM..maybe it designed that way..seems high though.

• SUV