Used 2003 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

4 years and counting
By Loyola C.

2003 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'm torn on this car. I've had it for 4 years and had to replace the alternator today (cost $531.89 p/l). Like some other people, early in the purchase I had problems w/the ignition and had to have it replaced. I had to have the tires replaced too. I've always made sure to service the vehicle and care for it as instructed, and other than the alternator, I haven't had to deal w/any major repairs yet. For a lower end car, I think it has done pretty good.

Favorite Features

Really good highway mileage. Drove from Salt Lake to Vegas to Phoenix & back; cost about $160.00 for gas.

Suggested Improvements

It seems like an alternator shouldn't need to be replaced after 4 years. Easier access to the break lights/bulbs for replacement.

Fun to drive, bang for buck
By black euro

2003 Ford Focus SVT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This car is a blast to drive fast and aggresive, but is also good for just cruising and driving for better gas mileage. The car is compact yet has very useful, roomy interior, for a car this size. The brakes and handling are superb. The exhaust note is like a well tuned performance car, not loud and buzzy. The engine has a wide power band and it will pull all the way to its 7200 redline. Itís hard to find a better bang for your buck. I have seen so many other compact and b segment cars priced well above what these cars sell for. And most don't even come close to the performance, value and fun factor of this car. The car has been problem free since I owned it and I drive it daily, and enthusiastically.

Favorite Features

Heated recaro seats, hidden headlights, euro appearance package. Gertrage 6 speed. Audio system.

Suggested Improvements

Factory ecu programming is horrible. (for emissions purpose) could use some more power (super or turbocharger)a limited slip differential would have been nice. And rear or all wheel drive also would have been nice. Oh well cant have it all and be cheap too.

Not worth the money
By ckw

2003 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The first two years I had the car it worked great. I had no problems with it. Then it started having problems. First, the radio went out. Then I began to have brake problems. Then my water pump and related components began to develop holes. Now the brake pads have worn down and the alternator has just about gone out. In the last 2 years, my car has been in the shop 5-6 times. Additionally, I used to get really good gas mileage. Now, it's below average and my driving habits have not changed (perhaps due to the alternator). I've had other cars that maybe went to the shop once in their whole lifetime.

Favorite Features

MP3 player, trunk release easy to get to

Suggested Improvements

Make seats more comfortable and add an rpm guage to all models.

Good car
By vbchick

2003 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my car for about a month. Overall the car is great. It gets great gas mileage and is a great little car for me. I am 6'1" and fit pretty good. There is lots of head and leg room. Other cars I sat in my legs hit the steering wheel, but in the Focus the adjustable up/down feature of the seat gives me lots of room. Overall this is a great car.

Favorite Features

CD player, name of song/station on radio display, adjustable seat (especially up/down feature), adjustable steering wheel

Suggested Improvements

A bigger armrest compartment, more room in back seat. Being able to change the automatic lock feature when you start to drive. More cup holders. Wiper for the back window. Different turn signal sound

I love my Focus SVT
By SunGirlAmber

2003 Ford Focus SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this car used, I am so glad I purchased the extended warranty though. Over all the car is great and fun but repairs and parts are pricey.

Favorite Features

It's very roomy inside and looks awesome inside and out. Premium sound system really rocks. I constantly get compliments. It's fun to peel out of a light and leaving a unexpecting Civic or Scion in my dust.

Suggested Improvements

I cant think of anything that would improve this car, it's great.