Used 2003 Ford Focus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Focus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Zytec & Automatic
By mj

2003 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car 1 1/2 years ago and I have been very pleased. I've only gone about 11,000 miles, but have had no problems at all. Very very smooth drive, i.e. good shocks & suspension take the whump out of most smaller bumps. I get between 30-32 mpg on my model with a 50/50 mix of highway and city driving. The passive antitheft is a great feature - without the special radio-enabled key in the ignition, the car won't start. Reduces my worry that the car will be stolen. Very large trunk is nice. Trunk lid does not pop up very high, but a light does appear on the dash so I'm ok with that. Also - when trunk closes there are no giant hinges that eat up trunk space. All in all, a great car.

Favorite Features

Passive anti-theft, large trunk, audio system (mp3/cd), "car on" and speed- adjusted volume of sound. Volume increases with speed. When you first turn on the car, it resets volume. You can pick the "car on" volume and turn on/off the speed-adjusted volume. Both very nice features. Also has HD-radio.

Suggested Improvements

Although 30 mpg is pretty good, I wouldn't mind if the car got even better gas mileage. Other than that, in 11k miles it hasn't given much to complain about. Also, I think the car looks a bit pudgy sitting next to my wife's Civic... but thats just me :-)

great economy sedan
By frank fehenbecer

2003 Ford Focus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It is a super reliable vehicle with easy maintenance and a great overall warranty. Has excellent gas mileage as well as being able to transport 5 people with 5 pieces of luggage.

Favorite Features

Sporty but gas saver.

Suggested Improvements

Longer wheel base.

A very good buy
By Joe

2003 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'm sorry to hear that one person had such a bad engine, but mine has 32,000 reliable miles. I've tested the bumpers twice without a ding at 5-10mph bumps. Very comfortable, even after 7 straight hours behind the wheel. (WOW, no neck aches.) It's got enough pep to get me on the highway. I also like my MP3 CD player that comes standard. Mileage has been disappointing. I had a Contour before with a similar engine and it got 35mpg whereas the Focus gets about 30 mpg. I am pressed to say anything bad about the car.

Favorite Features

MP3 CD player, head room (I'm 6'3"), good performance for a small car.

Suggested Improvements

15% better mileage, and better windshield wipers.

Pay Now or Pay Later
By Steve

2003 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Just after 20000 miles, the Rotors and Pads ($325.00) needs to be done. Brake pads are very thin. It is true, you get what you pay for. Focus is lower in cost, but also lower in quality. It is has been told to us that replacing rotors and pads would need to be done yearly on top of the 30000 mile service which tops at 360.00! Give me a brake Ford! I'm searching for Foreign made cars -- better quality!

Favorite Features

6 CD changer, sun roof, good gas mileage around town and on trips

Suggested Improvements

make a larger tank than 14 gallons. I have to fill-up more than once a week. Don't skimp on things that matter -- like brakes

wow
By bowke28

2003 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

im surprised at how bulletproof this car has been over the last year. my only gripe is that my gas mileage hovers around 23 MPG in all-city driving. but get out on the highway, and it goes to about 34.

Favorite Features

the blaupunkt radio is outstanding.