Used 2003 Ford Focus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Focus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

2003 SE Zetec
By Tim

2003 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had my problems; first the cold idle is still very rough till it warms up. Dealer couldn't fix. Also the rear camber adjusters were factory defective which made the car handle terrible in the winter and ate the rear tires up at 20,000 miles; dealer installed new adjusters and tires under warranty. I told the dealer to take the terrible low-profile Firestones and chunk them as we live in a snowy climate. Engine has plenty of power. Transmission has a harsh 1-2 rolling shift if you don't stop completely. Brakes are excellent as far as stopping power, steering is nimble, ride is acceptable, gas mileage is way below what it suppose to get. All this said I do like the car but my review at 60,000 miles may tell the story.

Favorite Features

Large trunk, excellent headlights. Lots if headroom with no bonking your head getting in. Nice sound package. Braking ability.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the excessive brake dust problem. Door handles/latches are very flimsy. Fix harsh 1-2 transmission shift while rolling; dealer says it's normal.

Premature wear of brakes & rotor damage
By fjcooks

2003 Ford Focus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Drives fine. Premature wear of brakes and damage to rotors is a known problem. Expect to replace rotors every 15,000 miles at $500 out of your pocket.

Suggested Improvements

Brake system needs improvement. Consumer's should not have to pay for know defects.

Impressive Safety
By geo50000

2003 Ford Focus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My ex wife totaled our 2003 Focus at 55 mph on a mountain road; Every corner of the car was demolished - but she walked away with only a small bump on her head. The cabin was completely intact. I recently bought another one just like it. A good, solid car for the money.

Favorite Features

Cabin construction, comfortable to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage is pretty mediocre for a small car.

This is a LEMON
By Steve

2003 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle performed superbly right up until the 40,000 mile mark. First of all, the Pirelli tires are horrible and will need to be replaced between 35-40k. Secondly, I had to replace the brakes and rotors because they were shot. Third, I had to replace a transmission part that caused my engine to skip (thankfully covered by the extended warranty). Lastly, and most important, the engine stalls in the middle of traffic with no warning. I have taken it to the dealer but they can't figure out what is wrong. I used to think "buy American" but in the case of cars, IT'S NOT WORTH MY LIFE or yours either! Do yourself a favor and STAY CLEAR of this one!

Favorite Features

The exterior styling gives the car a upper-scale appearance. However, remember the old saying that you can't judge a book by its cover!

Suggested Improvements

Ford: Why don't you actually MAKE a car that is as good as you claim! You need to recall this model to fix what you have done (regarding engine stalls). Also, "thumbs down" to Consumer Reports magazine for giving this car a high rating. If they only knew.

Very pleased with my '03 ZTS
By relish1t

2003 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purposely downgraded from years of full size pickups into a smaller vehicle. From the moment I drove the car home I have thoroughly enjoyed driving this car. It's quick, responsive, easy on the gas AND much easier to park than the pickups. I have not missed them at all, In fact, this car has enough room in it, that it has become my "truck". I've hauled everything from grass clippings bags, bags of mulch, plants, shrubbery and paving stones to 6' step ladders and not once have I ever had to leave something behind.

Favorite Features

Sportiness, looks, fuel economy, interior size.

Suggested Improvements

REDUCE THE ROAD NOISE! The biggest complaint I have with this car is the amount of interior noise. Particularly, at highway speeds. You expect the ZTS to naturally generate more road noise, but you should be able to carry on a normal conversation with a front seat passenger, but you can't.