Used 2003 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Focus Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Clear sailing
By matthewew

2003 Ford Focus Wagon ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I love this car. The only issue is that it is rough on tires. I normally get about 40K out of a 60K tire. I average 26-27mpg in the winter and 29-32mpg the rest of the year. I have 149900 miles on my car. I have not experienced many of the issues that others have, but then I bought mine new and know what it has gone through. If you do the maintenance when the owner's manual says to do it then you will have very few problems. Word to drivers the rotors are not the best, but the pads are really good so if you have worn out your brake pads, that is on you. I went 89K before having to change rotors and it was a mountain pass that did in the rear brake pads.

Gas mileage, cargo space, zippy engine, low noise, really good suspension for a small car. Easy access to the radio and window controls.

Not much, from what I can see fixing the tire issue destabilizes the automobile. I think there is room for improvement in the mpg as I can sometimes get 43 to 45 in the mountains or on longer trips.

awsome! then you have the paint...
By devyn_hogan

2003 Ford Focus Wagon ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

this car has been great to me, i bought it used with 30.000 miles. the guy put a K&N and loud exhaust... sounded great, until i got caught with it (illegal in my state). the only problem with it was the alternator. except it was not, it was a fuse in between the alternator and the motor. Then the paint peeled, spotted, bubbled, and cracked on the bumper. the paint peel happened on the hatchback. right above the light. the BLACK car now had WHITE spots on the back. and the rear bumper is full of very small cracks. None of this is because of lack of care, i and very ocd on apperance.

LOVE the stero, one of the best ive had in a long time good performance in the summer, does burnouts when i want it to and goes through a corner stuck like glue. starts in any weather. -40 a little while ago, started like a dream then jumped wifes car with it

get rid of altenator fuse!!!!! its stupid and useless

good fuel efficency and lots of space
By fordddddd

2003 Ford Focus Wagon ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my car as a rebuilt vehicle over a year ago. It had 12K miles on it. Now it has 36000 miles and i have not yet had a problem with it. I get around 27 mpg average (city and highway). I love this car because it gives good fuel economy and can haul a lot of stuff. I use it to take my dogs to training and i can hold 3 crates with the rear seats folded down (500, 400 and a 300 crate).

fuel economy , reliability and space

2003 Focus ZTW
By Roger

2003 Ford Focus Wagon ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I now have 135000 miles on this car. I have owned it from new. Only problem is that it wears out a lot of tires. Doesn't seem to help to align and rotate. last set of tires lasted 20,000 miles. Perhaps because they are the low profile 16 inch. Otherwise car uses no oil, averages 23mpg combined city and highway.

Good reliablity - except for tires

Improve quality of suspension components.

Tires
By crap

2003 Ford Focus Wagon ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This car gets great gas mileage but has cost me a fortune in tires. I bought the ZTW focus 2.0l 5sp wagon new and it no has 88,000 mi on it. I get no more than 15,000 mi out of a set of 15" tires whether cheap or expensive (back have gotten as little a 10K). Called Ford up they said "never heard of that before" but yet supplies my dealer w/ alignment kits to try and cure. Struts blew at 10k . On 3rd set of rear seat belts. Rear latch changed under recall- new latch worse-latch sometimes opens when hit bump-things fall out. Can no longer read LCD #s on blaupunct radio. Dashboard different color than rest of plastics. ps pump leak at 30k.

About 36mpg if careful-seats are pretty comfy - not bad looking for a wagon -5 spd. - ok storage - Carried the 8' lumber(both inside and out)to rework my deck. Peppy

Fix tire issue. Backend way too light for driving in snow- rear whips around easy even w studs. safety belts should hold up better. radio (why do people feel everything has to be digital it is not any faster on a radio or oven for that matter)