2003 Ford Focus Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
TERRIBLE
By poohbealov on 12/04/11 06:08 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

bought this at 81,000 miles was good until about 85,000. New motor mount, then a new engine, then a huge exhaust leak, then the engine was misfiring, then had to take it back to ford to get the lifters replaced, now i am waiting on it in the shop because they had to replace the instrument cluster. a total of about 5,000 in repairs in just a year. It's rediculous! i spend more time without a car then i do with one. I just barely hit 97k miles!

Took the crash well
By Tom on 11/13/08 04:16 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

My wife bought this car new. In the time she had it there was very little maintenance done on it. Had to replace a tail light that had melted to the plastic holder. Had to drill the old one out. Car ran smooth. A couple of weeks ago another driver pulled out in front of her and my wife and 9 month baby hit them head on at over 45 MPH. The good news is they both walked away. Minor injuries. Insurance did not give is much money for it but they car crumbled and not my family. Other problems with the car was the radio stopped working but could not be turned off. It just blinked, and the tailgate release button was not working had to use the keypad.

Awful
By Richard on 03/27/08 10:26 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Picked this up just over a year ago with 38,000 miles on it & over a year of original powertrain warranty left. Since then, it's been into the shop many times. I've spent over $3,000 repairing this vehicle, replacing the a/c compressor, the a/c condenser, the alternator, the tensioner pulley, & the front sway bars amongst other things. None of the repairs were covered by the warranty. The car now has 47,300 miles on it, & I can't wait to trade it in. In my opinion, I think that overall, it's a good idea poorly executed, put together with poor quality parts.

Nice Wagon
By Deb on 01/25/08 11:43 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This is a great little wagon with exceptional gas mileage. Right now has 100,000 on it an still running nicely. The ignition lock froze up around 70,000 and had to be replaced and the shift solenoid in the tranny was just done last week. Other than that, just general maintenance. Have driven this car all over the country and it's always started and run nicely. I do not go to dealerships for upkeep on my car, I go to Firestone so haven't had problems with recurrent brake issues, etc.

Great Car!
By FocusFan on 12/26/07 18:11 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This is my first car and so far it has been great. We've had it for a year and it hasn't had so much as a battery problem-Extremely reliable. The car is easy and fun to drive with tight steering and a lot of zip to it. Both the interior and exterior have a really cool design. I do a have some complaints; The interior-actually the whole car- has an overuse of cheap plastic and the brakes squeak, but only in very cold, rainy, or snowy weather. If you're looking for a reliable car you can't go wrong with the Focus.

Too Many Repairs
By Toni E on 08/09/06 07:55 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Here I have a 2003 Ford Focus wagon with 52K miles. Decided to go on road trip; had to be towed twice. Started smoking, Ford dealer said it was battery. Then it died again; this time alternator replaced. Made it home and was told the a/c compressor is going. Real nice at this low mileage. In repair shop at least 7 times since I bought it. All about the brakes and rotors. No one could fix them right, still squeaked loudly. Final answer from mechanic that all Ford Focus's do this. Give me a break. I went to brake specialist and they fixed it. Doors sound like tin. Can't open left side passenger door. Just a piece of junk. The money I've spent on this car I could have had a wonderful vacation.

Ford Focus 2003
By zane lommock on 06/20/05 01:49 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have performed only standard maintenance on this auto since purchase. I placed tires on car at 33,000 miles. Car gets excellent mileage on highway and city driving. Only complaint is lack of power from 110 hp engine, adequate but only just.

Terrible Brakes
By T. Egan on 05/27/05 14:33 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car from dealership with 17,000 miles (a previous rental) and had to bring back to dealership several times. Back brakes continuously squealing. After 4th time, still noisy as ever. Finally told, well that's just how the brakes are on the Focus. The doors are very hard to open. I've had this car more in the shop than any other vehicle I've ever owned. Very hard to squeeze your hand down on side of seats to get to levers and I have very small hands.

Not bad so far
By BadAndy on 04/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

The Good: Spacious Front/Trunk. Premium Sound with mp3/cd player. Thoughtful moveable driver hand rest/item bin. Power everything AND Cruise control. 6 speed int. wiper. 24/27 mpg w AC, 30/33 mpg w/o AC. Low/Mid highway road noise. The Bad: Gear change hangs/jerks from zero to low-very annoying, thoughtful hand rest not so thoughtful for bigger people (gets in way of seatbelt buckle when down). Trunk lid doesnÂ’t pop all the way up, gets very uncomfortable after long period of driving. The Ugly: The gear change ratio makes an otherwise very peppy, sprightly car feel grossly underpowered.

A Ford able
By Mano-man on 12/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Need to replace a 1996 Dodge caravan (money pit). A friend of my wife had just bought a Focus wagon and she loved it. So we went and had a look. Nice style, comfortable seats, good visibility, plenty of power, and nice extras. Test drove it in town and out on the highway and was amazed at the fine handling in the mountains. As for power I'm happy as this is my wife's car, but the power is there. On driving it home I was shocked that I was well over the speed limit when I looked at the speedo for the first time. Decided to use cruise control until I got the feel for it 's speed. So if your looking for a nice wagon look no futher.