Used 2003 Ford Focus Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Focus Wagon

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Clear sailing
By matthewew

2003 Ford Focus Wagon ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I love this car. The only issue is that it is rough on tires. I normally get about 40K out of a 60K tire. I average 26-27mpg in the winter and 29-32mpg the rest of the year. I have 149900 miles on my car. I have not experienced many of the issues that others have, but then I bought mine new and know what it has gone through. If you do the maintenance when the owner's manual says to do it then you will have very few problems. Word to drivers the rotors are not the best, but the pads are really good so if you have worn out your brake pads, that is on you. I went 89K before having to change rotors and it was a mountain pass that did in the rear brake pads.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, cargo space, zippy engine, low noise, really good suspension for a small car. Easy access to the radio and window controls.

Suggested Improvements

Not much, from what I can see fixing the tire issue destabilizes the automobile. I think there is room for improvement in the mpg as I can sometimes get 43 to 45 in the mountains or on longer trips.

awsome! then you have the paint...
By devyn_hogan

2003 Ford Focus Wagon ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

this car has been great to me, i bought it used with 30.000 miles. the guy put a K&N and loud exhaust... sounded great, until i got caught with it (illegal in my state). the only problem with it was the alternator. except it was not, it was a fuse in between the alternator and the motor. Then the paint peeled, spotted, bubbled, and cracked on the bumper. the paint peel happened on the hatchback. right above the light. the BLACK car now had WHITE spots on the back. and the rear bumper is full of very small cracks. None of this is because of lack of care, i and very ocd on apperance.

Favorite Features

LOVE the stero, one of the best ive had in a long time good performance in the summer, does burnouts when i want it to and goes through a corner stuck like glue. starts in any weather. -40 a little while ago, started like a dream then jumped wifes car with it

Suggested Improvements

get rid of altenator fuse!!!!! its stupid and useless

TERRIBLE
By poohbealov

2003 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

bought this at 81,000 miles was good until about 85,000. New motor mount, then a new engine, then a huge exhaust leak, then the engine was misfiring, then had to take it back to ford to get the lifters replaced, now i am waiting on it in the shop because they had to replace the instrument cluster. a total of about 5,000 in repairs in just a year. It's rediculous! i spend more time without a car then i do with one. I just barely hit 97k miles!

Favorite Features

Nothing really, the seats i feel are comfertable some people complain about them the trunk is nicely sized too.

Suggested Improvements

try learning to build a car ford. one that doesn't break down every month.

good fuel efficency and lots of space
By fordddddd

2003 Ford Focus Wagon ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my car as a rebuilt vehicle over a year ago. It had 12K miles on it. Now it has 36000 miles and i have not yet had a problem with it. I get around 27 mpg average (city and highway). I love this car because it gives good fuel economy and can haul a lot of stuff. I use it to take my dogs to training and i can hold 3 crates with the rear seats folded down (500, 400 and a 300 crate).

Favorite Features

fuel economy , reliability and space

Took the crash well
By Tom

2003 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

My wife bought this car new. In the time she had it there was very little maintenance done on it. Had to replace a tail light that had melted to the plastic holder. Had to drill the old one out. Car ran smooth. A couple of weeks ago another driver pulled out in front of her and my wife and 9 month baby hit them head on at over 45 MPH. The good news is they both walked away. Minor injuries. Insurance did not give is much money for it but they car crumbled and not my family. Other problems with the car was the radio stopped working but could not be turned off. It just blinked, and the tailgate release button was not working had to use the keypad.

Favorite Features

Lots of room. Very safe car.

Suggested Improvements

Fix taillights to not melt where you can not change them. Better radio. Air conditioner did not reach the back seat of car.