2003 Ford Focus SVT - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Top Flight Car - If Modified
By svt_owner on 07/03/13 06:46 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus SVT SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Test drove an Acura RSX-S and SVT. RSX felt cramped with poor outward vision poor and didn't come "loaded" as the SVT - which had everything but traction control. Driving position, outward vision and ergonomics all superior to RSX, as are brakes. Body roll excessive and gear linkage slow. Worst feature is the dual mass flywheel, which is supposed to dampen out ham fisted shifting, but merely retards revs, acceleration, and obviates engine braking. Noisy car with practically no sound insulation, although it comes with a good sound system. MPG on the poor side, especially in mixed traffic, (22-23).

2003 Competition Orange SVT 2 door hatch
By Marc Ceniceros on 11/25/08 04:53 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Focus SVT SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Love the Comp. Orange color, always the only 1 in a parking lot. The car is about balance. Adequate acceleration, good grip, excellent handling, fantastic brakes. I don't trust my Ford dealer so have not had the clutch knocking fixed but it continues to function otherwise so I'll wait to repair it. Euro package brings nice accessories, but body treatment adds useless weight to a car already weak on torque. I'd trade 15/20 Bhp for 5/10 more lbs./ft. Base car weighs less than SVT! Wrong. I'm 70" tall and my hair rubs the sunroof. Wish it had 16" wheels for improved ride/comfort without diminishing the turn in. 45 series rubber is ridiculous off track. Car is noisy on many surfaces.

I love this car!
By SVT1105 on 09/10/07 07:55 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus SVT SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Well, I have only had this car for a week now, but I love this car! It's so fun to drive and its peppy! I have had so many people say they love it! I really don't think I have had any issues or complaints about the vehicle! I would recommend this car to everyone who wants a sporty, fun car to drive with decent gas mileage!

I love my Focus SVT
By SunGirlAmber on 06/27/07 12:13 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus SVT SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this car used, I am so glad I purchased the extended warranty though. Over all the car is great and fun but repairs and parts are pricey.

Only a hobby car
By gukin on 04/24/07 20:40 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus SVT SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

The car has been nothing but trouble since I bought it. SVT improved a few things but introduced so many more problems it made an already poor car, the Focus, worse. This car should only be considered as a hobby car. Its abysmal reliability, poor design, and engineering take it out of the realm of a daily driver. Fiddle with it for three weekends, drive it the fourth. This car is in the same category as an exotic Italian vehicle (as long as that vehicle is a Fiat.) It can be a fun car but the flaws, poor design, and engineering blunders render it an extreme source of cost and frustration.

fun but...
By Kevin on 02/13/07 10:19 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Focus SVT SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Great car. Works well in winter with snow tires. Spirited driving brings out the best in it. Clutch assembly problems and poor gas mileage make the car suffer, though. Insurance companies act like it's a sports car also. Wouldn't buy this car again.

2003 Focus SVT European Package (red)
By Garry Mohr on 12/31/06 12:03 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Focus SVT SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I would like to get a new GT Mustang but do not have the heart to sell my Focus SVT to get one (what does that have to say). It's fun to drive, fast for a 170hp and almost 2800lbs, handles like a sports car (which when you drive it, you think it is). The only problem I've had with it: the clutch assembly had to be replaced due to a rattle sound it made, especially at idle (I've heard this has been a problem with some because of the complex clutch/flywheel assembly/design). The 17" wheels are somewhat easy to damage if you hit a bad chuck hole (I've bent one). When I part with it I know I'll miss.

Comp Orange SVT
By JLiegl on 06/16/06 07:59 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus SVT SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I shopped around for a small commuter that was fun to drive. It came down to the Mini, SVT focus and a Miata. All three were fun to drive but bang for the buck the SVT topped them both. I bought it at 40k on the clock and have taken two long trips and daily to and from work. There have been no issues aside from some worn bushing on the front torsion bar that made a bit of a thump coming back into the driveway. The dealership took care of it right away with apologies that it wasn't fixed before the car left the lot. It's been a good car so far and the dealership as usual is above and beyond. Chevy built a good vehicle but their dealerships drove me away, and I am not looking back.

Rocket miser
By Scott S. on 05/14/06 06:02 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus SVT SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

The PROS: The car is a pleasure to drive. It looks sharp when shined in black. I like the interior, very sporty and different than other vehicles. The car comes with so many surprise and delights - what a value - leather, heated seats, great stereo with sub woofer, HID lights, sunroof, and super brakes. The most amazing spec is the actual gas mileage of 27 city and 34 highway - while driving it hard enough to smile! I average one offer to buy it each month I have owned it. Too bad Ford dropped the SVT. The CONS: Longer trips are hard on your comfort index, must get additional wheels for winter, and a seventh speed for overdrive would have been awesome .

Why did I buy this car?
By Jason on 12/08/05 21:57 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Focus SVT SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I have owned the car since new and have been battling problems ever since. The problems range from mechanical to customer service. The first winter I owned the car it would not start several times. I called the dealership and was told that this was "normal". The entire exhaust system needed replaced at 10,000 miles. The drivers side window developed several large scratches that the cause could not be explained by the dealership. Ford is unwilling to replace. The scratches continue to get worse. Lots of squeaks and rattles after only 34K miles. I wish I would have shopped around more. For the same $22K I could have bought an RSX Type S and had much better resale value.