2003 Ford Focus SVT - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Top Flight Car - If Modified
By svt_owner on 07/03/13 06:46 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus SVT SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Test drove an Acura RSX-S and SVT. RSX felt cramped with poor outward vision poor and didn't come "loaded" as the SVT - which had everything but traction control. Driving position, outward vision and ergonomics all superior to RSX, as are brakes. Body roll excessive and gear linkage slow. Worst feature is the dual mass flywheel, which is supposed to dampen out ham fisted shifting, but merely retards revs, acceleration, and obviates engine braking. Noisy car with practically no sound insulation, although it comes with a good sound system. MPG on the poor side, especially in mixed traffic, (22-23).

2003 Competition Orange SVT 2 door hatch
By Marc Ceniceros on 11/25/08 04:53 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Focus SVT SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Love the Comp. Orange color, always the only 1 in a parking lot. The car is about balance. Adequate acceleration, good grip, excellent handling, fantastic brakes. I don't trust my Ford dealer so have not had the clutch knocking fixed but it continues to function otherwise so I'll wait to repair it. Euro package brings nice accessories, but body treatment adds useless weight to a car already weak on torque. I'd trade 15/20 Bhp for 5/10 more lbs./ft. Base car weighs less than SVT! Wrong. I'm 70" tall and my hair rubs the sunroof. Wish it had 16" wheels for improved ride/comfort without diminishing the turn in. 45 series rubber is ridiculous off track. Car is noisy on many surfaces.

I love this car!
By SVT1105 on 09/10/07 07:55 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus SVT SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Well, I have only had this car for a week now, but I love this car! It's so fun to drive and its peppy! I have had so many people say they love it! I really don't think I have had any issues or complaints about the vehicle! I would recommend this car to everyone who wants a sporty, fun car to drive with decent gas mileage!

Fun to drive, bang for buck
By black euro on 08/17/07 01:10 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus SVT SVT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This car is a blast to drive fast and aggresive, but is also good for just cruising and driving for better gas mileage. The car is compact yet has very useful, roomy interior, for a car this size. The brakes and handling are superb. The exhaust note is like a well tuned performance car, not loud and buzzy. The engine has a wide power band and it will pull all the way to its 7200 redline. Itís hard to find a better bang for your buck. I have seen so many other compact and b segment cars priced well above what these cars sell for. And most don't even come close to the performance, value and fun factor of this car. The car has been problem free since I owned it and I drive it daily, and enthusiastically.

I love my Focus SVT
By SunGirlAmber on 06/27/07 12:13 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus SVT SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this car used, I am so glad I purchased the extended warranty though. Over all the car is great and fun but repairs and parts are pricey.

Best for the money in every way
By ischober on 05/26/07 18:31 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus SVT SVT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

My Focus 4 door wagon is the best car for the money I have ever had. Huge space with back seat down. Has everything a more evpensive car has except dumb things like outside temperature sign ( just lower the window). Only possible drawback is that the back seat does not seperate the same as the back of seat. Air excellent, good mileage. Wish I could buy another new one here in Mexico! If there is a new one anywhere in Mexico I would fly to get it!

Only a hobby car
By gukin on 04/24/07 20:40 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus SVT SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

The car has been nothing but trouble since I bought it. SVT improved a few things but introduced so many more problems it made an already poor car, the Focus, worse. This car should only be considered as a hobby car. Its abysmal reliability, poor design, and engineering take it out of the realm of a daily driver. Fiddle with it for three weekends, drive it the fourth. This car is in the same category as an exotic Italian vehicle (as long as that vehicle is a Fiat.) It can be a fun car but the flaws, poor design, and engineering blunders render it an extreme source of cost and frustration.

fun but...
By Kevin on 02/13/07 10:19 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Focus SVT SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Great car. Works well in winter with snow tires. Spirited driving brings out the best in it. Clutch assembly problems and poor gas mileage make the car suffer, though. Insurance companies act like it's a sports car also. Wouldn't buy this car again.

2003 Focus SVT European Package (red)
By Garry Mohr on 12/31/06 12:03 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Focus SVT SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I would like to get a new GT Mustang but do not have the heart to sell my Focus SVT to get one (what does that have to say). It's fun to drive, fast for a 170hp and almost 2800lbs, handles like a sports car (which when you drive it, you think it is). The only problem I've had with it: the clutch assembly had to be replaced due to a rattle sound it made, especially at idle (I've heard this has been a problem with some because of the complex clutch/flywheel assembly/design). The 17" wheels are somewhat easy to damage if you hit a bad chuck hole (I've bent one). When I part with it I know I'll miss.

Comp Orange SVT
By JLiegl on 06/16/06 07:59 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus SVT SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I shopped around for a small commuter that was fun to drive. It came down to the Mini, SVT focus and a Miata. All three were fun to drive but bang for the buck the SVT topped them both. I bought it at 40k on the clock and have taken two long trips and daily to and from work. There have been no issues aside from some worn bushing on the front torsion bar that made a bit of a thump coming back into the driveway. The dealership took care of it right away with apologies that it wasn't fixed before the car left the lot. It's been a good car so far and the dealership as usual is above and beyond. Chevy built a good vehicle but their dealerships drove me away, and I am not looking back.