Used 2003 Ford Focus ZTS Sedan Consumer Reviews - 40 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Focus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Focus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Very Satisfied and Impressed with my Focus
By auto_engineer

2003 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I owned my 2003 Focus ZTS for 6 months now. Im shocked but its performance for its affordable price. The steering is tight and feels very sporty and handles the corners very well. Gas mileage I get is at least 32 MPG Highway and 26 City. It has a nice stereo system with good bass It also has CD/MP3 player along with Traffic Reports and the and News Reports. Many Focus for this year has different Radio Units, This particular one is my favorite. Seats are Very soft and very easy to clean. Rides very stable at high speeds. The rear spolier gives it enough down force for better handling as well. Low Profile Tires give it a good look. DOHC engine has some pep.I would recommand this car to anyone

1. The DOHC 16 Valve 4 cylinder is one of my most favorites. Its faster then most naturally aspirated 4 cylinders out there now. 2. The Exterior Sport Design gives it a nice slick look to it along with the interior design to match the exterior. The Grey sport gagues makes it feels like your riding in a racing car 3. The handling and feel of the car. The car handles great around corners and handles bumps in the road pretty well. The leather wrapped steering wheel has a sports car look to it and feels like a luxury car 4. The gas mileage is good. the car is very quiet. the engine is very smooth and responsive and still has passing power at 70mph. 5. MOST IMPORTANT: Very Very Reliable

1.Would of liked it if they made Advance Traction Control standard on all ZTS models. 2. Heat seats would also be great if it was standard on all ZTS models instead of it being on a few ZTS models. 3. Could use a rear dome light for the rear passengers. 4. Very Very Cold A/C which is a good thing but the blower motor could be a little more quieter other wise thats not a major issuse.

REALLY reliable
By twamebrown

2003 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been GREAT. I bought it with about 30k miles on it and now it has 90k with very little put into it. Give her regular oil changes and this car will just keep on going. I had to put new tires on it, new brakes and change the lock cylinder when I bought it, but outside of that, it has been perfect. It runs smooth and shifts beautifully. I get about 25 mpg with mostly city driving. Sometimes when I shut the trunk it doesn't latch, but I just have to shut it again. Great car, will drive it into the ground.

The 5 speed is awesome to drive. It is the anti-ticket car: I have it in grey--the ultimate blend-in color. The blaupunkt stereo system is pretty dang nice.

The light over the rear seats should have a switch on it, as opposed to only on the steering column.

Still great after 13! years
By kate

2003 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new and it is just as much fun to drive over 3 years later. I have the Zetec engine, it has lots of pep and I get 25 mpg overall and that's with over 20 stop lights between home and work. The original Firestone tires were...well, junk, and after lots effort on the dealership's part, I gave up and replaced them with Pirelli tires at 8000 miles. The back seat is roomier than I expected and the front is very comfortable. Huge trunk great for travel.I love this car!

Updating review 10 years later! I've owned my Focus nearly 13 years now and can't complain. Nearly everything works like it did the day I bought it. Still a reliable, fun to drive car. No major repairs. I keep up with the maintenance and take care of my Focus & it takes care of me. Throughout the years I've learned to buy very good tires because this car is picky. It was terrible in snow so I invested in snow tires. Well worth it, I've driven in fairly deep snow and passed trucks & larger cars that slid off the road. The radio volume is getting a bit unpredictable, it may increase when turning it down or decrease when turning up. That's the biggest problem after all these years! Still a great car and I don't see any reason to replace it anytime soon.

This is a LEMON
By Steve

2003 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle performed superbly right up until the 40,000 mile mark. First of all, the Pirelli tires are horrible and will need to be replaced between 35-40k. Secondly, I had to replace the brakes and rotors because they were shot. Third, I had to replace a transmission part that caused my engine to skip (thankfully covered by the extended warranty). Lastly, and most important, the engine stalls in the middle of traffic with no warning. I have taken it to the dealer but they can't figure out what is wrong. I used to think "buy American" but in the case of cars, IT'S NOT WORTH MY LIFE or yours either! Do yourself a favor and STAY CLEAR of this one!

The exterior styling gives the car a upper-scale appearance. However, remember the old saying that you can't judge a book by its cover!

Ford: Why don't you actually MAKE a car that is as good as you claim! You need to recall this model to fix what you have done (regarding engine stalls). Also, "thumbs down" to Consumer Reports magazine for giving this car a high rating. If they only knew.

Very pleased with my '03 ZTS
By relish1t

2003 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purposely downgraded from years of full size pickups into a smaller vehicle. From the moment I drove the car home I have thoroughly enjoyed driving this car. It's quick, responsive, easy on the gas AND much easier to park than the pickups. I have not missed them at all, In fact, this car has enough room in it, that it has become my "truck". I've hauled everything from grass clippings bags, bags of mulch, plants, shrubbery and paving stones to 6' step ladders and not once have I ever had to leave something behind.

Sportiness, looks, fuel economy, interior size.

REDUCE THE ROAD NOISE! The biggest complaint I have with this car is the amount of interior noise. Particularly, at highway speeds. You expect the ZTS to naturally generate more road noise, but you should be able to carry on a normal conversation with a front seat passenger, but you can't.