Used 2003 Ford Focus SE Comfort Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Focus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Wow ! Love it !
By antho14

2003 Ford Focus Sedan SE Comfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The 2003 Ford Focus Se Comfort is my first car.I bought it used on July 2010 for the sum of $ 3,200 from a dealer.The rust was starting on the bottom but I paint it completely and give it back a fresh brand-new look.The flexible part of the mufler' pipe juste broke.The oil seal broke too. I replaced 2 door locks. The suspension is very smooth, love it!The acceleration is poor but the car itself is maid to economize fuel and I like it. Great body look, unique one !After 78 000Mi in 9 years, the car looks new.The interior is simple but I love it that way.Hard plastic make noise but, the great 4 speakers sound system make me forget them. In overall, a great car but the body is fragile and rust.

Favorite Features

-Great look (inside and outside !) -Smooth suspension -Poor fuel consomation -Fun to drive -Comfortable seats -Engine fiability

Suggested Improvements

-The body rust easily...This is unfortunate because the look is great and we need to paint it again to fight the rust. -The reliability of some body parts.

Laundry List of Problems!!!
By rlsid21

2003 Ford Focus Sedan SE Comfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My 2003 Ford Focus SE (Automatic) was my first car I ever purchased, little did I know that I should have done my homework before making the commitment. I bought it pre-owned through the Ford Dealership. I should have inspected it at first sight. It had two torn tires, the roof interior was covered completely in ketchup! I let that one go. Over the years, the ignition locked up, had to get that replaced, the engine gasket broke, the transmission went out completely, got that replaced $4,000 later (in March 2011), the sway bar started squeaking, now the having engine problems, the timing belt broke off, and valves need to be replaced (Sept. 2011) Mechanics quoted $2,000 for repairs.

Favorite Features

Little to none with this category. The interior was nice but there could be more room for my tall passengers.

Suggested Improvements

The Ford Focus was a complete disappointment. The interior was falling apart despite it's nice appearance. The screws were coming apart, the automatic trunk was clicking 3-4x every time I opened it (would get stuck almost every time!), ignition should NOT lock up to a point where the mechanic has to break it open to fix, the remote to open the driver door stopped working, mechanics were often frustrated trying to fix every little thing wrong with this car. How to improve? Get a Japanese made car.....

I will miss you
By WHAT2BUY?

2003 Ford Focus Sedan SE Comfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My husband just totaled my 03 Focus. It had 93,000 miles, and i bought it brand new. It was paid off and i have never had any problems with it or put any money into it except for very recently. Just before he wrecked it, i paid $240 to have a new ignition switch put in since the key wouldn't turn. (had to be towed to fugate ford). What to buy now?

Favorite Features

cute, good mpg, decent trunk space

Suggested Improvements

maybe less trunk room and more backseat room. car seats are almost out of the question

Poor Quality & Engineering-Ford Cops Out
By Cold Mainer

2003 Ford Focus Sedan SE Comfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Fun car with great gas mileage if driven correctly. I average 34 MPG on the highway at 60 MPH. A major flaw of this vehicle has been the rear suspension. It has too much negative rear camber and not enough toe. This causes wear to the inside edges of the rear tires. This is not adjustable and must be accomplished with the use of aftermarket parts. It cost me $350.00 to get this problem fixed. It has stopped eating tires now and has improved the safety of the vehicle. I have 48,000 miles on my latest set of tires now. This vehicle was very dangerous when operated in snow and wet conditions. It always wanted to spin around before I got the rear end problem fixed. Trunk latch, ignition rp

Favorite Features

Fuel economy

Suggested Improvements

Recall tire wear issue, ignition switch repair, trunk latch problem, motor mount problems. I do not recommend anyone buying this car before a 2008 build date. The earlier models are very unreliable and most importantly unsafe.

Traded a Gas guzzler for a Money Guzzler
By disappointmentabound

2003 Ford Focus Sedan SE Comfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great car for the first 45,000 miles! The tranny went out and was replaced under warranty at 3 years old. A year after the transmission replacement, the brakes went out and had to be completely replaced. About two months after the brakes, the struts went out. Also had to have them replaced. Upgraded stereo went out then, started hearing a terrible front end grinding noise-was told it was the transmission. Called the dealership and they said it was 3 days out of warranty. Took it to a different dealership and was told the motor mounts were also bad. Oh, and the ignition switch locked up. Was gonna just sell it, resale on the car isn't even $1500 but it gets great gas mileage.

Favorite Features

trunk space, gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

ignition switch recall, strut recall, motor mount recall. All common problems that Ford needs to take responsibility for!