2003 Ford Focus ZX5 Premium Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2003 Focus Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Sort Reviews by

7 yr review: a reliable car overall
By randy

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 Premium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Just reaching the 140,000 mile mark, car has been very dependable and easy to maintain, and much MUCH cheaper to maintain than the 99 Civic i had before. My Focus has been used as a commuter car, sees a mix of highway and city miles and all four seasons (cold brutal winters) Had a few minor problems along the way, but it never left me stranded or cost a fortune to fix. I would recommend this car, it would be a great vehicle for a student because its reliable and economical.

Favorite Features

Handling, shifter feel, seating position, reliability, cost of ownership.

Suggested Improvements

A bit more power would be nice, more powerful seat heaters, and i never did like the dash design.

PZEV only lasted 98,826 miles!
By Mirox

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 Premium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Quite funny to get a car that is designed to be maintenance FREE for 15 years or 150,000 when in reality it does not make it to 100,000 ! The 2.3 L engine with Timing Chain supposed to be an improvement over the 2.0 L with timing belt! Except when the plastic slippers wear out it jumps timing and bends all valves - hence a JUNK! Now at to that clutch that lasted only 36,000 miles, Audio system that had to be replaced 5 times, Steering wheel that just locks and can not be unlocked again without replacing the key switch, RIGHT engine mounts that break, and host of other things like worn out Front Struts at 78,000. This vehicle has problems that YUGO never had! Simply a BAD CAR

Favorite Features

Lot of engine power but poor fuel economy our Crown Vic got better mileage on Highway trips!

Suggested Improvements

Simply a BAD design, best improvement would be to stop manufacturing it!

Good ride for the $$$
By VS

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 Premium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my 2.3L 5SPD ZX5 for about 3 months now. Overall it's a VERY well equiped car for the money with Ford's rebates ($3K.) One of the very few 5 doors hatchbacks on the market it offers a lot of cargo space with the back seats (which fold virtually flat) down. One major gripe is the driver's seat. Don't know who designed it but the shape is HORRIBLE. I'm average hight and build and cannot make it comfortable... tried all possible adjustments.

Favorite Features

* Telescoping steering column. * MP3 stereo. * Heated seats and mirrors. * Nice handling for an "economy" car. * Thick, contoured, leather stering wheel. * Good rear seat room for the car of it's size. * 2.3L engine provides reasonably good acceleration. * PRICE!!!

Suggested Improvements

* Redesign driver's seat * 5 Speed -- rubbery linkage and very long throws. * The cargo space with back seats up is a bit small. * Turn signal clicking sound is VERY annoing. * Add express UP feature to the drivers window

Great Little Vehicle
By Mr. Clean

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 Premium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Focus about a month now and like it better every day. Handling is great - surprisingly comfortable and more room than might be expected from this sharp looking small vehicle. The mileage hasen't gotten up yet but I know it will. Planning on a fairly long trip with this car shortly and really looking forward to it.

Favorite Features

Killer sound system with the 6 disc changer and rear woofer - did I mention the great way it handles

Suggested Improvements

Dashboard readouts hard to see in the daytime. Needs more contrast. Another power outlet in the rear, and, oh yes, another cup holder in the rear also

bellissima macchina!
By vaccamucca

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 Premium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

i bought the zx5 in late july and have just over 600 mi. i love it! i had a honda accord and a nissan sentra but this is the best by far. it seems so sporty and refined

Favorite Features

sunroof,handeling with the manual trans, looks, inter, exter

Suggested Improvements

nothing, i will let you know

Great car
By DanteGreen

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 Premium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought the car on the 27th of June, and I have had the car for a lil under 3 weeks now and I have to say I love my car thus far, its everything I expected it to be and more. I purchased it for $14,000 flat with license, title and fee's. I felt as if I got a great deal and thats including the destination charge, weather package, and the 6-disc changer with audiophile package, not to mention I did get the best ZX5 available in the Premium, so I did well in my mind. The car is faster then I expected also. Over all, the car is great and with the new powertrain warranty, things are looking well!

Favorite Features

I love the 6 disc in dash changer. I didnt know it played CD-R's. The moonroof is great, the cup holders are cool. The seats are comfortable, the hatch trunk is spacious also. The one lil side pocket is great also. Spare change compartment above the AV outlet is great also

Suggested Improvements

Not to be over zealous, but an extra cup holder in the back would be great like the focus SVT has. I just bought the car, so I only have a thousand miles on it, and I havent hit the MPG yet, but no worries because I know it will come along eventually.

Happy with my Focus
By Nappy

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 Premium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Focus for 6 weeks, long enough for my 2 big dogs to spread their hair around. The leather seats, make it much easier to clean than with cloth seats. The interior is classy, stylish. The Focus is clean, classy, beautiful. Sound system is wonderful. Easy to figure out! You get a CD to pop in the PC or listen to in the car, that explains everything in detail. Last night, the Focus let me get out of a crowded parking lot- in record time--the maneuverability is great. Getting on the expressway is easy--it's a speedy little car, too. And solid--no rattling like the other cars I test drove. This is my first Ford--and I love it!

Favorite Features

Steering wheel is highly adjustable and comfortable-can get a good grip, maneuvers well, dashboard is classy & sleek, sound system is easy to manipulate, seat height adjusts, you've got a good all around view.

Suggested Improvements

More room for your stuff. Maybe put the parking break as a pedal, so you can use the space between the seats in front. A place to put your sunglasses, for instance. another option--power seat at least for driver.

Great Little Family Car
By Pastor Gadget

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 Premium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We area typical family, two adults and two kids. Our ZX5 is our only car and it is not a minivan but it us comfortable for all of us. The car handles well with great power for this class. for the 17 months we have had the car it has had no problems or recalls. We have not had the expected fuel economy but we always have a full load and live in Texas so the air is always. I have been very surprised how much space there is in the hatch with the seats down. Very flexible wth to 60/40 split rear seat.

Favorite Features

All the standard extras 6 CD changer. Auto Windows and locks. Rear wiper and derfoster alot more for your buck in this car than similar models.

Suggested Improvements

Even More power. I know the SVT packs a punch but that is too sporty for me in the interior design but I would like more power under the hood. It would make this fun car even more fun to drive

New ZX5 is Great
By fairlanecobra

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 Premium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great styling. Good performance. Ride is unlike any car I have had before, tight and easy to control. Plently of room for 4 people and the dog in the hatch area. Gets looks everywhere.

Favorite Features

Handling, style and comfort are great. Heated seats is a must in the north

Suggested Improvements

More HP. Bigger overdrive would keep the revs down on the highway

You are missing out!
By Steve3402

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 Premium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased the ZX5 in November, 2001. This has been, by far, the most fun, reliable small car I have EVER driven! So many people have been concerned about recalls, ect. In a year and a half and 10,000 miles, I have had not one single problem with this car. Beat that Honda Civic! It's amazing how many people don't think Ford can compete with Toyota and Honda... perhaps they should dare to compare. FYI... I recently drove the new Corrolla and wasn't nearly as impressed. The Focus is a MUCH better car to drive.

Favorite Features

tight, nimble steering comparable to a BMW 3-series, plenty of horsepower with the ZTEC engine and an extremely pleasant ride. PLUS... with a hatchback, this car has a lot of versatility!

Suggested Improvements

the vehicle is starting to look a bit aged... Ford needs to redesign the car and give it a new, fresh look!