Used 2003 Ford Focus ZX5 Comfort Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Horrible Car
By laurenglamtm

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 Comfort 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this care used at 85,00 miles for $5000 and I guess you get what you paid for. Within the first few months I had to get the transmission replaced and from there it has been down hill. I havent even had the car for 4 years and I have had to get a new alternator, spark plugs, coolant resivor, vacuum pump, two thermostats, a plastic piece that connects my coolant resivor to my radiator, and two window pullys that broke. I'd say by now I could have gotten a brand new car....Thats how expensive all the repairs cost. Now it makes a weird rattle noise when I idle and the ford dealership can't figure out what it is....and let me tell you it is a really LOUD rattle. DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!

Whatta Steal w/the Special 2.3L Engine
By wnyfordguy

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 Comfort 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this used on 3/31/09 w/58k miles for my eldest son to commute to college. I got it cheap after previous owner bought it damaged the prior fall - it was in a front-end collision; he did most of the repairs himself. Regardless, this car is solid! It's amazingly quick for a 4-banger. That's because it was sold in NY, so it has the 2.3L Duratec PZEV engine that produces 145 HP, as opposed to the weaker 2.0L engines that came with most 03 MY 'Foci'. Around the town gas mileage is OK-to-Very Good (21-24 MPG), but it's great on highway trips (up to 29 MPG). Also, it's very comfortable and fun/different to drive - maybe that's what others refer to as this car's "European" feel.

Favorite Features

Engine works great w/ the 4-spd Auto Transmission - shifts are very smooth, car moves very quickly. Suspension seems to have been tuned just right for great balance between performance and comfort, The interior is roomy, even in back seat. Respectable amount of storage area under the hatch. Despite the pseudo-geeky looks of its rear-end appearance, with the turn-signal/brake lights up high on the pillars, my sons like it a lot better then the '93 neon green Escort LX I bought a few years back. Now that my son is out of college and in the USAF, I'm definitely looking to help him get an '07 Focus hatchback as his first car, especially since Consumer Repts recommends it very highly.

Suggested Improvements

The std 15" alloy wheels look nice, but their design and excessive brake dust from the front discs makes them very hard to keep clean. Even after replacing the headlights w/ Sylvania Silverstars, the coverage pattern is a lot different to what I'm used to. Also, when you switch from low-to-high beams, the lows cut out completely, leaving only the highs operating. I've never noticed this in any other car I've ever driven - it took a while to get used to. BTW, I couldn't replace the driver's side lamp w/o ruining the retaining clip - it was way too hard a job for me to do w/ my large hands. Replaced the factory-installed Blaupunkt Stereo/CD, which sounded great, but had bad LCD display.

Great Car that worse than YUGO !
By ankhmaat

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 Comfort 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Clutch gone at 33,000 Front Struts worn out at 65,000 Steering wheel fails to unlock at 45,000 Tinim chain skips and ruins engine at 98,000 3 radios changed under warranty, and never wored right Side mirrrs break off easily and host of little problems. I used to own YUGO and things that lasted forever on YUGO break on FORD FOUCS, incredible ! Coolant tank leaks at 82,500 CHeck engine light on more than 20 times, Radiator and fan and air flow sensor all failed when still under warranty. Well mine was made in MEXICO !

Favorite Features

Was fun to drive before things started to break down

Suggested Improvements

The timing chain is the worst feature, and it is not accessible when engine in in the car. To change clutch was over $2,000 or more than Auto costs extra.

Fun and More Fun
By ZX5 Lover

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 Comfort 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I actually have the 2.3 liter engine and it is the best car I love it. the engine pick up is fantastic my last car had the worse pick and the ZX5 just goes!

Favorite Features

The horsepower is absolutely my favorite thing. I love the sporty style too.

Suggested Improvements

NOTHING

ZX5-Comfort
By RipRiley

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 Comfort 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have been very pleased with this vehicle. I got it for the fuel economy and the 100K drive train warranty. But I was surprised how fun the car is to drive. It is the best handling car I've owned. Ok, here is the MPG scoop. For the first 2000 miles I got a city/highway combined 31 MPG. Since then it has steadily gone up. Now at 8000+ miles I get 35 MPG. That is about 60% highway 40% city. Average highway speed 75 MPH.

Favorite Features

Handling, more power than I expected, MPG, bunch of standard features...my cd player even plays MP3s.

Suggested Improvements

Seat comfort..can I get some lumbar support please. Higher 5 gear, at 72 MPH the motor is turning 3K RPM..maybe it designed that way..seems high though.