2003 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Buy It! Great handling and comfortable!
By Targetdisco on 06/10/09 06:29 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Gave an 8 for Fuel Economy because it used to be good, now it is average. Lived in suburban DC, with no huge hills, for 1.5 years. Did the long trips, commuting, and around town; all great mileage. Moved to "real" WV with lots of huge hills 13 months ago, and mileage is not good at all. The imitation Euro handling is certainly there and is great. Seats are comfy, lots of room, and good storage. Mine has a sunroof/moonroof and 6 cd changer. I think the Cd changer finally conked out. In 2.5 years, I've taken it to the shop for tires, and oil changes. Oct 06, I bought the car with 30k miles. So it's been an outstanding and problem free car.

I've had enough of Ford
By karen on 03/11/09 09:56 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

At first I loved this car, but now.. It eats tires, I've have 2 solenoids replaced, shocks replaced twice. Fuel Filter, enertia switch replaced and still I find myself at least once a week with a dead car. If I let it sit about 30 min then it starts fine, mechanic can't find the problem but it sure stinks to sit in the daycare or walmart parking lot while I wait the 30 min. I'm looking for a new car and I can assure you it will not be a Ford product.

Cute but not reliable
By Dr. Jane on 06/19/07 18:24 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Replaced brakes at 13,000. Have replaced wheels and had bearings replaced twice. Problems with vibration ever since I bought the car. Worst car for repairs I have ever owned. Bought in 2003, currently 60,000, getting ready to trade in, I am done.

4 Years and still going strong
By Tony on 05/21/07 10:47 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my ZX5 with 5000 miles on it in Dec 03. As of today it has 82,000 on it and other than routine PM's, it has never been in the shop for repair. Gas mileage averages about 27 combined city/country driving. It is an awesome little car. I see another Focus in my future

my blue Focus
By Joe Gaver Jr on 05/29/06 07:08 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Surprised how gutsy and nimble this thing is despite having 4 fewer cylinders than my 1990 Mustang GT had!

It Works for Me!
By marj on 03/30/06 12:09 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I really love this car - its fun to drive and very reliable. The only weird thing was that I had to have the (automatic) transmission replaced after only 25K (I bought it with 17K). Nobody - dealer or Ford - seems to know why this happened, but its been running fine ever since.

Focus SE 2003 4 door model
By gerd knaak on 08/19/05 00:32 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Reliable car, fun to drive with the Pirelli tires. Good handling, sluggish automatic transmission. Mileage in town not that great for a small car. Excellent 5 disk CD stereo. Should have more power for a 2 L engine.

Recommended
By TheReverend on 06/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've enjoyed our ZX5 Focus a lot. The power is adequate, though not great, and it handles like a champ on all types of roads. I love the way the interior is laid out, ergonomics are good, seats are comfy. Our minor problems were that we had to have it re- aligned after only 17K and the paint chipped off the shifter knob at about 15K. The alignment could have been my fault, I do drive it pretty hard. The exterior looks get a little old after awhile, but aftermarket parts are everywhere.

Ford Focus Fun
By Eibhlin on 03/07/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my ZX5! However, I'm not getting the mileage I thought I would be getting. I also have a problem with the windshield wiper design. There always seems to be a stream of wated running down the windshield to the right of my line of vision. It gets annoying.

Focus on fun and value!
By gerard on 12/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is one of the most handsome cars on the road, inside or outside. As far as value goes, this car is difficult to beat. 145 horsepower engine, power: abs brakes, windows, locks, moonroof, tilt/telescopic steering-wheel, 6 way adjustable drivers seat, 6 disc in-dash cd player with 80 watt stereo, air conditioning, built in foglights, heated front seats, heated power side mirrors,roomy rear cargo area, usable center armrest,and 16 inch alloy wheels. This car rides very smoothly on all road surfaces and the automatic transmission and engine operates like velvet.