Used 2003 Ford Focus ZX5 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Buy It! Great handling and comfortable!
By Targetdisco

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Gave an 8 for Fuel Economy because it used to be good, now it is average. Lived in suburban DC, with no huge hills, for 1.5 years. Did the long trips, commuting, and around town; all great mileage. Moved to "real" WV with lots of huge hills 13 months ago, and mileage is not good at all. The imitation Euro handling is certainly there and is great. Seats are comfy, lots of room, and good storage. Mine has a sunroof/moonroof and 6 cd changer. I think the Cd changer finally conked out. In 2.5 years, I've taken it to the shop for tires, and oil changes. Oct 06, I bought the car with 30k miles. So it's been an outstanding and problem free car.

Handling. Sunroof/moonroof. Height adjustable seat and Tilt wheel (I'm 5'1). Roominess and amount of storage. Heat and A/C are quick.

Better headlights. Even with great bulbs, it could be better. Speakers could be better too. Better fuel economy in all terrains. Had to get snow tires for current hilly "real" WV city. Did okay w/ regular all-weather tires. Due to no AWD, wanted snow tires.

I've had enough of Ford
By karen

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

At first I loved this car, but now.. It eats tires, I've have 2 solenoids replaced, shocks replaced twice. Fuel Filter, enertia switch replaced and still I find myself at least once a week with a dead car. If I let it sit about 30 min then it starts fine, mechanic can't find the problem but it sure stinks to sit in the daycare or walmart parking lot while I wait the 30 min. I'm looking for a new car and I can assure you it will not be a Ford product.

Mileage, sportiness, handles well

Cute but not reliable
By Dr. Jane

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Replaced brakes at 13,000. Have replaced wheels and had bearings replaced twice. Problems with vibration ever since I bought the car. Worst car for repairs I have ever owned. Bought in 2003, currently 60,000, getting ready to trade in, I am done.

Appearance and trunk space

4 Years and still going strong
By Tony

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my ZX5 with 5000 miles on it in Dec 03. As of today it has 82,000 on it and other than routine PM's, it has never been in the shop for repair. Gas mileage averages about 27 combined city/country driving. It is an awesome little car. I see another Focus in my future

Split fold down rear seats, great front compartment, good power.

Lumbar supports for front seats, better audio system

my blue Focus
By Joe Gaver Jr

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Surprised how gutsy and nimble this thing is despite having 4 fewer cylinders than my 1990 Mustang GT had!

Fuel economy and seats.