2003 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
7 yr review: a reliable car overall
By randy on 09/20/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 Premium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Just reaching the 140,000 mile mark, car has been very dependable and easy to maintain, and much MUCH cheaper to maintain than the 99 Civic i had before. My Focus has been used as a commuter car, sees a mix of highway and city miles and all four seasons (cold brutal winters) Had a few minor problems along the way, but it never left me stranded or cost a fortune to fix. I would recommend this car, it would be a great vehicle for a student because its reliable and economical.

PZEV only lasted 98,826 miles!
By Mirox on 05/04/10 22:28 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 Premium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Quite funny to get a car that is designed to be maintenance FREE for 15 years or 150,000 when in reality it does not make it to 100,000 ! The 2.3 L engine with Timing Chain supposed to be an improvement over the 2.0 L with timing belt! Except when the plastic slippers wear out it jumps timing and bends all valves - hence a JUNK! Now at to that clutch that lasted only 36,000 miles, Audio system that had to be replaced 5 times, Steering wheel that just locks and can not be unlocked again without replacing the key switch, RIGHT engine mounts that break, and host of other things like worn out Front Struts at 78,000. This vehicle has problems that YUGO never had! Simply a BAD CAR

Good ride for the $$$
By VS on 09/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 Premium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my 2.3L 5SPD ZX5 for about 3 months now. Overall it's a VERY well equiped car for the money with Ford's rebates ($3K.) One of the very few 5 doors hatchbacks on the market it offers a lot of cargo space with the back seats (which fold virtually flat) down. One major gripe is the driver's seat. Don't know who designed it but the shape is HORRIBLE. I'm average hight and build and cannot make it comfortable... tried all possible adjustments.

Great Little Vehicle
By Mr. Clean on 09/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 Premium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Focus about a month now and like it better every day. Handling is great - surprisingly comfortable and more room than might be expected from this sharp looking small vehicle. The mileage hasen't gotten up yet but I know it will. Planning on a fairly long trip with this car shortly and really looking forward to it.

bellissima macchina!
By vaccamucca on 08/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 Premium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

i bought the zx5 in late july and have just over 600 mi. i love it! i had a honda accord and a nissan sentra but this is the best by far. it seems so sporty and refined

Great car
By DanteGreen on 07/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 Premium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought the car on the 27th of June, and I have had the car for a lil under 3 weeks now and I have to say I love my car thus far, its everything I expected it to be and more. I purchased it for $14,000 flat with license, title and fee's. I felt as if I got a great deal and thats including the destination charge, weather package, and the 6-disc changer with audiophile package, not to mention I did get the best ZX5 available in the Premium, so I did well in my mind. The car is faster then I expected also. Over all, the car is great and with the new powertrain warranty, things are looking well!

Happy with my Focus
By Nappy on 05/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 Premium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Focus for 6 weeks, long enough for my 2 big dogs to spread their hair around. The leather seats, make it much easier to clean than with cloth seats. The interior is classy, stylish. The Focus is clean, classy, beautiful. Sound system is wonderful. Easy to figure out! You get a CD to pop in the PC or listen to in the car, that explains everything in detail. Last night, the Focus let me get out of a crowded parking lot- in record time--the maneuverability is great. Getting on the expressway is easy--it's a speedy little car, too. And solid--no rattling like the other cars I test drove. This is my first Ford--and I love it!

Great Little Family Car
By Pastor Gadget on 05/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 Premium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We area typical family, two adults and two kids. Our ZX5 is our only car and it is not a minivan but it us comfortable for all of us. The car handles well with great power for this class. for the 17 months we have had the car it has had no problems or recalls. We have not had the expected fuel economy but we always have a full load and live in Texas so the air is always. I have been very surprised how much space there is in the hatch with the seats down. Very flexible wth to 60/40 split rear seat.

New ZX5 is Great
By fairlanecobra on 03/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 Premium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great styling. Good performance. Ride is unlike any car I have had before, tight and easy to control. Plently of room for 4 people and the dog in the hatch area. Gets looks everywhere.

You are missing out!
By Steve3402 on 02/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 Premium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased the ZX5 in November, 2001. This has been, by far, the most fun, reliable small car I have EVER driven! So many people have been concerned about recalls, ect. In a year and a half and 10,000 miles, I have had not one single problem with this car. Beat that Honda Civic! It's amazing how many people don't think Ford can compete with Toyota and Honda... perhaps they should dare to compare. FYI... I recently drove the new Corrolla and wasn't nearly as impressed. The Focus is a MUCH better car to drive.