2003 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Horrible Car
By laurenglamtm on 11/21/12 21:19 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 Comfort 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this care used at 85,00 miles for $5000 and I guess you get what you paid for. Within the first few months I had to get the transmission replaced and from there it has been down hill. I havent even had the car for 4 years and I have had to get a new alternator, spark plugs, coolant resivor, vacuum pump, two thermostats, a plastic piece that connects my coolant resivor to my radiator, and two window pullys that broke. I'd say by now I could have gotten a brand new car....Thats how expensive all the repairs cost. Now it makes a weird rattle noise when I idle and the ford dealership can't figure out what it is....and let me tell you it is a really LOUD rattle. DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!

Whatta Steal w/the Special 2.3L Engine
By wnyfordguy on 01/14/11 11:58 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 Comfort 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this used on 3/31/09 w/58k miles for my eldest son to commute to college. I got it cheap after previous owner bought it damaged the prior fall - it was in a front-end collision; he did most of the repairs himself. Regardless, this car is solid! It's amazingly quick for a 4-banger. That's because it was sold in NY, so it has the 2.3L Duratec PZEV engine that produces 145 HP, as opposed to the weaker 2.0L engines that came with most 03 MY 'Foci'. Around the town gas mileage is OK-to-Very Good (21-24 MPG), but it's great on highway trips (up to 29 MPG). Also, it's very comfortable and fun/different to drive - maybe that's what others refer to as this car's "European" feel.

Great Car that worse than YUGO !
By ankhmaat on 10/30/09 19:19 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 Comfort 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Clutch gone at 33,000 Front Struts worn out at 65,000 Steering wheel fails to unlock at 45,000 Tinim chain skips and ruins engine at 98,000 3 radios changed under warranty, and never wored right Side mirrrs break off easily and host of little problems. I used to own YUGO and things that lasted forever on YUGO break on FORD FOUCS, incredible ! Coolant tank leaks at 82,500 CHeck engine light on more than 20 times, Radiator and fan and air flow sensor all failed when still under warranty. Well mine was made in MEXICO !

Fun and More Fun
By ZX5 Lover on 09/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 Comfort 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I actually have the 2.3 liter engine and it is the best car I love it. the engine pick up is fantastic my last car had the worse pick and the ZX5 just goes!

ZX5-Comfort
By RipRiley on 06/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 Comfort 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have been very pleased with this vehicle. I got it for the fuel economy and the 100K drive train warranty. But I was surprised how fun the car is to drive. It is the best handling car I've owned. Ok, here is the MPG scoop. For the first 2000 miles I got a city/highway combined 31 MPG. Since then it has steadily gone up. Now at 8000+ miles I get 35 MPG. That is about 60% highway 40% city. Average highway speed 75 MPH.

My new ZX5
By Jeff Davis on 02/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 Comfort 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My car is new and the fit and finish is perfect. We all expect that - of course but it really isn't always the case. My ZX5 is the size I wanted, has all the toys I wanted and the power is what I expected. It's peppy, takes corners very well and doesn't leave me feeling like I'm driving a toy box.

Focus Review
By joao on 02/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 Comfort 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Focus ZX5 is an excellent inexpensive alternative to large or fuel inneficient vehicles. The focus is ergonomically built from the ground up, leaving you with a positive "big-car- like" sensation all around. Ford credit was able to offer a cahs back incentive with ZERO down. Great job!