Used 2003 Ford Focus ZX3 Premium Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

More fun than expected
By driven1320

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 Premium 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I knew what I wanted initially: a small hatchback with good mpg and a manual trans. However, I never expected to like it this much. The old saying that its more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow... this car nails it. Driving around town I find this car more satisfying than my 400hp Mustang. Its reasonably peppy, doesn't have to be revved, and with the addition of a stiffer rear swaybar, the handling is a blast. Tons of room too. On one trip I managed 3 people and a 50" tv. On another, a full dresser. It's got 140k miles on it, so a few things are starting to go, but I'd say its held up incredibly well. Couldn't be happier with my purchase!

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, seat bolstering, looks, utility, Not from an Asian automaker

Mediocrity at its best!
By monkeyfinger

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 Premium 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My 2003 Ford Focus has seen it's share of problems: Alternator, Thermostat Housing, AA Solenoid, Fuel Pump, Water Pump, Drive Belt, Timing Belt and Engine Mounts. I Love the compact design; however, this causes astronomical labor charges or very difficult self repairs. You actually have to go under the car to change the headlight bulbs. Overall, I like my Focus, but I wish Ford had put more thought into the quality. For example, a thermostat housing that is not made of plastic. If yours has not failed yet, then it soon will. Or a better set of engine mounts. One thing that the focus will do is help you become a great mechanic.

Great Little Car
By gohlson

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 Premium 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've really enjoyed my Focus. It not really a fancy car, but it's nicely built, solid and dependable. I'm a fairly big man and I can get in it comfortably without having to do a lot of contortions to fit in the seat. The headroom is excellent and it is not cramped at all. It has a nice comfortable ride, too. If you have to commute a ways to work, this is the car for you. I'd had the car about a week and had to make a trip from Kansas City to Mitchell, SD.(about 400 miles and did so one tank of gas.)I'll definitely buy another one some day.

Favorite Features

I like how everything you use a lot is right there by the steering wheel (wiper controls, turn signals, etc.)

Suggested Improvements

Get the one with power windows because the hand cranks are awkward to use. Other than that, nothing except maybe lowering the price.

liked my Contour better
By wcfenner

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 Premium 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I really like this car, but I loved my 95 Ford Contour. I keep my cars for at least 150K miles, so hopefully my Focus will last as long as my last car. I really wish I had purchased the power premium model, but at the time I wanted a liquid grey 5spd and there was only premium available.

Favorite Features

I love the color, the Mtx 75 trans in the focus is much smoother than in the Contour, and the stereo with its 6disc changer is incredible

Suggested Improvements

Dealer service is awful. I have only had minor problems, but each repair require 3 or more trips to the dealer. Regency Ford is horrible and Fords 1800 customer service line is not much better.

Love My Focus
By ehren

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 Premium 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

When my T-Bird was involved in an accident, I was given a Ford Focus to drive by the rental company. I thought I would hate driving a smaller car. After a week I bought one.

Favorite Features

Placement of features on the dash. Quick response & manuverability. Body style. An American Car

Suggested Improvements

Simplify setting the clock on the menu. Add lights to the make-up mirror. Make the handle go down when lowering the front seat for back seat passengers.