2003 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Ford = Fix. Or. Repair. Daily.
By jaym83 on 09/26/12 19:54 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is a nightmare. Every other focus owner ive talked to hates this car too. Never buy this vehicle. Even the ford mechanics at the dealerships ive been to tell me this car is nothing but a bag of issues. I have had this car for less than six years and put less than 40,000miles on it and have had so many issues. This car eats tires and rear brakes like candy. So far, new ignition cylinder after six months of ownership, new motor mounts, new fog lights, new throttle cable, more new tires, more new brakes, rear defroster repair, new alternator, driver seat broke (spot welds that hold the seat up right broke), manual window crank broke off, ECU repair, and none of this is covered by Ford.

Love this car
By seahawk68 on 12/06/11 12:48 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car with 14,000 miles, it was a car rental from Hertz. I know have 160,000 miles. I have driven this car every where. I put studs on it and in snow and ice it is like a tank. I put low profile tires during the summer and it cruises and hugs the corners. I have had not issues with this car except the usuals of tires, lights and stuff like that. It is so fun to drive, I have had it eight years now and I still love driving it

Don't Waste Your Money!
By rubypussycat on 06/09/11 13:38 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was excited to get my used car in 2003, but quickly regretted buying it a year later. I first thought it was the dealership because the seatbelt still needed to be fixed and they took out the spare tire when I recieved the car the same day. I have kept all the receipts and made an excel list of all the repairs and maintence I have done so far. So here it is: 3 starters, 1 alternator, ingition switch, cd player fixed (it kept shutting off by itself), 3 positive battery terminals and positve battery cable. My car is now at 100,858 miles because I have done most repairs by myself, but I DO NOT recommend anyone to buy this car. This is not typical for any vehicle!!

Great Car for Reasonable price.
By lilkk on 04/03/11 11:13 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned my 2003 Ford Focus ZX3-5 speed manual since July of 2003. For being a lower priced vehicle I couldn't have asked for a better more reliable vehicle. I've only had two problems over the last, almost, 8 years. The first full summer I owned the vehicle the A/C went out, but was covered under warranty-no hassles. Recently I had to replace the alternator, otherwise besides routine maintenace it has been a fantastic reliable vehicle I couldn't be happier. When I bought the vehicle I was just going to college. The storage in the back of the vehicle is amazing for the size. For being a small vehicle it handled Wisconsin winters very very well. Definitely recommend Focus.

REVIEW
By Mrs.Mechanic 6/23/10 on 06/23/10 06:04 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my car in 2006. It had 27,528 miles. Now at 113,200 miles. I have had no major problems with it, with the exception of poor lighting. I just replaced the motor mount, and the ignition switch last year(09). I think this is a great starter car for any young person.

Been a great car
By WYcommuter on 02/14/10 17:26 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought with 8000 miles in 05. Still have with 115000. Only one issue and that was a new ignition core (cheap repair). Live in WY and commute through blizzards and have never been stuck or stranded with this great little car. I drive it and leave the F150 in the garage when its icy. Did not buy fancy, manual windows, locks, etc. maybe that why no problems.

Focus owner
By dreed on 12/11/09 23:47 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this affordable car brand new and put 86k miles on it. It really is a great, efficient vehicle but I started encountering problems around 60k. miles. Great car but not extremely reliable after 80k miles.

Do this again, Ford
By Mel on 07/20/09 21:03 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is adequately powered for almost any situation. It has needed only 1 repair in 60000 miles. The power window lifter failed on the passenger side and the dealer was able to make it work better than when it was new. The mileage is excellent, I am averaging 29 miles to the gallon under all conditions.

SVT Focus is a high point for Ford
By Bryan Redeker on 04/01/09 11:40 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my SVT Focus used from my dad after I sold my 2000 Focus ZX3. The SVT Focus is great to drive, both on the street, at autocrosses, and on the track. The Recaro seats are very supportive for cornering, and the brakes are perfect! Stomping the middle pedal really hauls the car down on the straight away. With the 6-speed gearbox, I pulled off 40 mpg on a highway trip. How many cars have HID's, Recaro seats, 6-speed gear boxes, big brakes, and get 40 mpg! Only one, and that is the SVT Focus. Usual mileage is 32 combined. I love my Focus and it is one of the best compact cars ever made, and a high point for Ford!

First Car from Dealership
By Dragonz on 10/07/08 08:42 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is fun to drive. I bought it at 37000 miles, 5 years old, but it still ran smooth. I had to replace the alternator and battery only a month after I got it, but the dealerhsip replaced those for free, even though they weren't on the warranty. It's sporty, great gas-milage, and has a sun-roof which is always fun. Recently took it on a trip to Wendover and it ran smoothly.

1 2 3 4 5 next »