Used 2003 Ford Focus Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

More fun than expected
By driven1320

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 Premium 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I knew what I wanted initially: a small hatchback with good mpg and a manual trans. However, I never expected to like it this much. The old saying that its more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow... this car nails it. Driving around town I find this car more satisfying than my 400hp Mustang. Its reasonably peppy, doesn't have to be revved, and with the addition of a stiffer rear swaybar, the handling is a blast. Tons of room too. On one trip I managed 3 people and a 50" tv. On another, a full dresser. It's got 140k miles on it, so a few things are starting to go, but I'd say its held up incredibly well. Couldn't be happier with my purchase!

Fun to drive, seat bolstering, looks, utility, Not from an Asian automaker

Horrible Car
By laurenglamtm

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 Comfort 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this care used at 85,00 miles for $5000 and I guess you get what you paid for. Within the first few months I had to get the transmission replaced and from there it has been down hill. I havent even had the car for 4 years and I have had to get a new alternator, spark plugs, coolant resivor, vacuum pump, two thermostats, a plastic piece that connects my coolant resivor to my radiator, and two window pullys that broke. I'd say by now I could have gotten a brand new car....Thats how expensive all the repairs cost. Now it makes a weird rattle noise when I idle and the ford dealership can't figure out what it is....and let me tell you it is a really LOUD rattle. DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!

Ford = Fix. Or. Repair. Daily.
By jaym83

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is a nightmare. Every other focus owner ive talked to hates this car too. Never buy this vehicle. Even the ford mechanics at the dealerships ive been to tell me this car is nothing but a bag of issues. I have had this car for less than six years and put less than 40,000miles on it and have had so many issues. This car eats tires and rear brakes like candy. So far, new ignition cylinder after six months of ownership, new motor mounts, new fog lights, new throttle cable, more new tires, more new brakes, rear defroster repair, new alternator, driver seat broke (spot welds that hold the seat up right broke), manual window crank broke off, ECU repair, and none of this is covered by Ford.

Small parking size

Read my review.

2003 Focus ZX3, Duratech 23 = AWESOME!!!
By metalwych

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 Power Premium 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got my 2003 Focus with the DuraTech 23 engine (2.3 liter) for less than $6000. It had 59000 miles on it. This car is awesome. I needed a car that gets good gas mileage (I also have a Lincoln and a 2011 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500, so I needed a car that gets better than 25mpg). This little car has a lot of get up and go. Its quick and gets excellent gas mileage (when I go from San Diego to L.A., I average 46mpg...which is awesome). And its a fun car to drive. Now, it doesn't have the power of my powerhouse V-8's, but for a 4 cylinder, it really moves. The way this car handles is superb. I was pleasantly surprised at how well this car can corner. Awesome fun car to drive!

DuraTech 23 engine has plenty of power. Its faster than the stupid hondas and toyotas around me. And its just fun to drive. Add a kick a$$ stereo system, and this car has great acoustics too! Worth every penny I spent (less than $6000 and less than 59000 miles). Gas mileage is awesome too!

More Power! Cheaper after market parts.

Love this car
By seahawk68

2003 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car with 14,000 miles, it was a car rental from Hertz. I know have 160,000 miles. I have driven this car every where. I put studs on it and in snow and ice it is like a tank. I put low profile tires during the summer and it cruises and hugs the corners. I have had not issues with this car except the usuals of tires, lights and stuff like that. It is so fun to drive, I have had it eight years now and I still love driving it

Love driving it

Maitenance is not user friendly, the engine conpartment is so tight that it is very hard to change anything. It took me and a friend three hours to get the alternator out of the engine compartment. it took ten minuetes to get it disengaged from the motor and three hours to romve from where it was because there was no room to pull it out. We had to use a crow bar and pry it out.