2003 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Wow ! Love it !
By antho14 on 10/05/11 17:25 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus SE Comfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The 2003 Ford Focus Se Comfort is my first car.I bought it used on July 2010 for the sum of $ 3,200 from a dealer.The rust was starting on the bottom but I paint it completely and give it back a fresh brand-new look.The flexible part of the mufler' pipe juste broke.The oil seal broke too. I replaced 2 door locks. The suspension is very smooth, love it!The acceleration is poor but the car itself is maid to economize fuel and I like it. Great body look, unique one !After 78 000Mi in 9 years, the car looks new.The interior is simple but I love it that way.Hard plastic make noise but, the great 4 speakers sound system make me forget them. In overall, a great car but the body is fragile and rust.

Laundry List of Problems!!!
By rlsid21 on 09/14/11 08:33 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus SE Comfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My 2003 Ford Focus SE (Automatic) was my first car I ever purchased, little did I know that I should have done my homework before making the commitment. I bought it pre-owned through the Ford Dealership. I should have inspected it at first sight. It had two torn tires, the roof interior was covered completely in ketchup! I let that one go. Over the years, the ignition locked up, had to get that replaced, the engine gasket broke, the transmission went out completely, got that replaced $4,000 later (in March 2011), the sway bar started squeaking, now the having engine problems, the timing belt broke off, and valves need to be replaced (Sept. 2011) Mechanics quoted $2,000 for repairs.

I will miss you
By WHAT2BUY? on 10/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus SE Comfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My husband just totaled my 03 Focus. It had 93,000 miles, and i bought it brand new. It was paid off and i have never had any problems with it or put any money into it except for very recently. Just before he wrecked it, i paid $240 to have a new ignition switch put in since the key wouldn't turn. (had to be towed to fugate ford). What to buy now?

Poor Quality & Engineering-Ford Cops Out
By Cold Mainer on 06/03/10 15:30 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus SE Comfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Fun car with great gas mileage if driven correctly. I average 34 MPG on the highway at 60 MPH. A major flaw of this vehicle has been the rear suspension. It has too much negative rear camber and not enough toe. This causes wear to the inside edges of the rear tires. This is not adjustable and must be accomplished with the use of aftermarket parts. It cost me $350.00 to get this problem fixed. It has stopped eating tires now and has improved the safety of the vehicle. I have 48,000 miles on my latest set of tires now. This vehicle was very dangerous when operated in snow and wet conditions. It always wanted to spin around before I got the rear end problem fixed. Trunk latch, ignition rp

Traded a Gas guzzler for a Money Guzzler
By disappointmentabound on 04/05/10 16:33 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus SE Comfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great car for the first 45,000 miles! The tranny went out and was replaced under warranty at 3 years old. A year after the transmission replacement, the brakes went out and had to be completely replaced. About two months after the brakes, the struts went out. Also had to have them replaced. Upgraded stereo went out then, started hearing a terrible front end grinding noise-was told it was the transmission. Called the dealership and they said it was 3 days out of warranty. Took it to a different dealership and was told the motor mounts were also bad. Oh, and the ignition switch locked up. Was gonna just sell it, resale on the car isn't even $1500 but it gets great gas mileage.

Great little car
By Shannon on 10/23/09 09:32 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus SE Comfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second Focus. I did have another 2003 Focus LX base model. That one had transmission problems and this one does not. I purchased it with 130k and now has 143k. I have enjoyed this car, only minor problems with it. It handles great, stops on a dime, very reliable and very roomy. Decent gas mileage..without A/C 28-29 mpg, with A/C..24-25 mpg, and that's with regular oil changes and adding B-12 to the fuel tank. Very few complaints, trunk doesn't want to latch when shut after being opened with the key fob or trunk button, but works correctly with the key.

My car is a loser
By Scott on 10/02/09 14:43 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus SE Comfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought the car with 65,000 miles and within 5 months had to put in a transmission and a motor mount. Ford helped with the costs but we were still out $2,000 dollars. Then the trunk latch failed. Then we started with the electrical problems. We went though a couple of batteries and then had to disable the alarm which kept going off for no reason. We finally had it working Ok for a couple of weeks and put new tires and another battery in. I guess I should have waited, because then the #3 piston blew, time for a new motor. When we tried to trade it in we were told $100.00. If this car was not such a piece of crap I would turn it into a planter but I would hate to waste good dirt

not the best car......
By designgrl on 11/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Focus SE Comfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

bought this car 5 months ago, has been in the shop 4 times, and will be back again next week! electrical problem, brake problem at 400 miles(!), the windshield motor was broken when i drove it off the lot, a strange ticking noise in the dash that they can't seem to fix, and a defective tire that they won't replace- 1 tire badly damaged after only 6k for no reason (no curbs, potholes). also, during 1 repair, dealer broke my transmission dipstick while trying to force in, will not replace!

The car is good but the dealer is BAD
By Nanjihu on 08/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus SE Comfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The most impressive if fuel economy: I drived 200 miles and only used 5-6 gallon gas with 5 people in the car.

First Time Buyer
By First time Buyer on 08/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus SE Comfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first car I bought on my own, right after college. At the time it was the perfect car for me. Iíve had the car over a year now and itís still in excellent condition and Iíve put over 22k miles on it. The sound system sounds great and itís a smooth and comfortable ride. Just wish the engine was a little faster, doesnít have much of a pick up. Iíve now become bored with the car, and wish it was more appealing to an early 20ís market.