2003 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Not a Lemon, but NOT a great car
By CharlestonGurl on 08/20/10 08:01 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 03 Ford Focus LX used at 35000 mi. Drove great for first year. Soon after, alternator died (after draining 2 batteries), brakes CONSTANTLY squealed (even after replacing rotors), a pipe to the engine RUSTED OFF (luckily a friend could replace it for me), tail lights died a lot, ridiculous rattle/vibration in the dash that would go away if you hit the dashboard, trunk would not latch since the last few months. I was in a wreck a month ago that totaled the car at 141,000 mi. I walked away without a scratch, so I guess the car was pretty durable. Wouldn't purchase another one though, I'm looking for a Toyota Camry or Nissan Altima now.

Got rid of it
By Chris on 08/03/09 13:06 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car at 40k miles and got rid of it at 64k. We had the key problem where the ignition locks up; we just never took the key out, always left it in the car to avoid getting stranded. Couldn't put chains on it. Trunk wouldn't shut properly. Gas mileage steadily declined despite regular oil changes and check ups. After reading all the reviews about the car crapping out around 60k, we just wanted to be rid of it.

Not The Best
By Jennifer on 08/12/08 08:53 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My dad originally bought this car for me for my first car. I will say that for a first time driver, it is decent. Very easy to drive. For the few years I owned it, I never had any mechanical problems with it. The 4cyl. engine, in my opinion, is way too small. Awful pickup on the highway. It is very low to the ground and had a tendency to bottom out. Also, not really good in the snow. Decent MPG though. I ended up trading it in for a 07 Jeep Liberty, which I love and would recommend to someone over the Focus.

Good First Car
By Equinox on 05/05/08 14:50 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it with 48,000 miles on it. Apart from regular oil changes and one bad heater coil ($100) it has run quite well. Fun to drive in summer but need to be careful in winter.

Buyer beware
By Ignition defect on 02/13/07 10:08 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Focus LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Ignition replaced 3 times. Exhaust pipe that connects to engine replaced twice. Mechanic said it will have to be replaced again and again because it is a known defect. Brakes replaced too many times. Now engine rattles. My mother has the same car. Same problems. It has been in fender benders twice and a guy driving a stolen truck ran in to the front end and no dents! The other cars had the damage. That is one great thing about the car. There is not a lot of room in the back seat.

Laurie's Review
By Laurie Hannah on 04/14/06 05:30 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I previously had owned two Escorts before my Focus. When Ford quit making the Escort I was very upset because I always knew what car I'd be purchasing next - an Escort. However, I decided to give the Focus a chance, since it replaced the Escort, and I've really been happy with its performance and quality. The only maintenance I've had to perform so far is changing the oil and tires. I did have a problem with the truck when I first got it, but it was under warranty and Ford fixed it right away. It's been a great car and I will be purchasing another one really soon!

98,000 and still going!
By 03FOCUSlx on 02/19/06 19:41 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Focus LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car 2 years ago with 32,000 miles on it. At 55,00 miles the ignition had to be replaced $150. At 75,000 timing belt and tensioner broke and left me stranded, also needed battery, spark plugs & wires, crank sensor. Repair cost was $1000. Then 95,000 miles and six months later, the tensioner broke again, left me stranded -- $350 more dollars. Then at 97,000 miles the battery cable fell off from the starter, had to be towed, $77. At 98,500 it went back because the check engine light was on, it then needed a, oxygen sensor for $130. Now I guess it is fine, still running good, never put brakes on it yet; just tires and oil changes. Overall for having 100,000 miles on it, it is a pretty good little car!

Premature wear of brakes & rotor damage
By fjcooks on 12/13/05 11:39 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Focus LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Drives fine. Premature wear of brakes and damage to rotors is a known problem. Expect to replace rotors every 15,000 miles at $500 out of your pocket.

Impressive Safety
By geo50000 on 12/09/05 23:21 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Focus LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My ex wife totaled our 2003 Focus at 55 mph on a mountain road; Every corner of the car was demolished - but she walked away with only a small bump on her head. The cabin was completely intact. I recently bought another one just like it. A good, solid car for the money.

great economy sedan
By frank fehenbecer on 03/05/05 00:15 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Focus LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It is a super reliable vehicle with easy maintenance and a great overall warranty. Has excellent gas mileage as well as being able to transport 5 people with 5 pieces of luggage.