2003 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
More fun than expected
By driven1320 on 03/09/13 17:54 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Focus ZX3 Premium 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I knew what I wanted initially: a small hatchback with good mpg and a manual trans. However, I never expected to like it this much. The old saying that its more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow... this car nails it. Driving around town I find this car more satisfying than my 400hp Mustang. Its reasonably peppy, doesn't have to be revved, and with the addition of a stiffer rear swaybar, the handling is a blast. Tons of room too. On one trip I managed 3 people and a 50" tv. On another, a full dresser. It's got 140k miles on it, so a few things are starting to go, but I'd say its held up incredibly well. Couldn't be happier with my purchase!

Mediocrity at its best!
By monkeyfinger on 02/22/10 18:21 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Focus ZX3 Premium 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My 2003 Ford Focus has seen it's share of problems: Alternator, Thermostat Housing, AA Solenoid, Fuel Pump, Water Pump, Drive Belt, Timing Belt and Engine Mounts. I Love the compact design; however, this causes astronomical labor charges or very difficult self repairs. You actually have to go under the car to change the headlight bulbs. Overall, I like my Focus, but I wish Ford had put more thought into the quality. For example, a thermostat housing that is not made of plastic. If yours has not failed yet, then it soon will. Or a better set of engine mounts. One thing that the focus will do is help you become a great mechanic.

Great Little Car
By gohlson on 12/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Focus ZX3 Premium 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've really enjoyed my Focus. It not really a fancy car, but it's nicely built, solid and dependable. I'm a fairly big man and I can get in it comfortably without having to do a lot of contortions to fit in the seat. The headroom is excellent and it is not cramped at all. It has a nice comfortable ride, too. If you have to commute a ways to work, this is the car for you. I'd had the car about a week and had to make a trip from Kansas City to Mitchell, SD.(about 400 miles and did so one tank of gas.)I'll definitely buy another one some day.

liked my Contour better
By wcfenner on 11/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Focus ZX3 Premium 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I really like this car, but I loved my 95 Ford Contour. I keep my cars for at least 150K miles, so hopefully my Focus will last as long as my last car. I really wish I had purchased the power premium model, but at the time I wanted a liquid grey 5spd and there was only premium available.

Love My Focus
By ehren on 11/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Focus ZX3 Premium 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

When my T-Bird was involved in an accident, I was given a Ford Focus to drive by the rental company. I thought I would hate driving a smaller car. After a week I bought one.

Love MY Focus!
By SmilinDaz on 11/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Focus ZX3 Premium 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The name of my car is true! Focus!! It gave me nre focus ... a wonderful "happy" yellow ,,, and a joy to drive!

Love my car
By chuckangerstein on 09/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus ZX3 Premium 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have only had one problem with my Ford Focus ZX3, the check engine light stays on, I've had it fixed multiple times and it just comes right back on. Other than that it's been great. I've driven it all over California. It handled the curves and turns on narrow Highway 1 like a $30,000 sports car and it can haul so much stuff it's amazing. It's the perfect blend of utility and fun for me.

THIS CAR IS FANTASTIC!!!!
By JONATHAN ANTONIO on 09/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus ZX3 Premium 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

this one is a real buy, for under $12K, i got what i wanted for a coupe! compared to those high priced hondas and toyotas!!i just love to drive anywhere, even to las vegas!! the power is amazing!

Fast & Fun!
By Jack198 on 07/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus ZX3 Premium 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It is fast & fun, a great deal. Great freeway driving, takes the turns well.

Great Car!
By Chris Rupp on 07/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Focus ZX3 Premium 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Just has been a great car overall. Have never had to take it in for any un-scheduled maintence. Very funny to drive. Even after 41,000 miles in that little time I have never had any problems at all with it.