2002 Ford Focus 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Started great and then fell

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Review

2002 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Started great and then fell off a cliff
By cdock on

2002 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Year One:Didn't drive it too much I lived like 3 miles from my job. only put about 3000 on car in first year. Year Two: cd changer stops working right makes weird noise and scratches cds. Take car in they swap out cd player and mail me a cd that was someone a 7th cd inside the changer when it was fixed. About 4 months later rear wheel bearings need replacement and front sway bar cracked they weld it. Years 3-7: cd player replaced 4 times sway bar welded 3 more times 60K miles coolant leak fixed 80K coolant leak fixed 81K power steering goes and oil starts leaking power steering fixed. 83K ignition locks and passenger window falls down on its own while driving repairs for year 7-8 =3,600

Favorite Features

I loved the handling before the sway bar kept cracking. Car always felt very sturdy and safe. No problem putting three car seats in the back. Like the instrument setup and the hatchback. Lots of room to put stuff. Hell, I put a loveseat from Ikea in it and shut the trunk and drove it home.

Suggested Improvements

Better sway bar. fixed 4 times. Power steering going out at 80K is not cool. Rear seatbelt locks and had to have entire bench seat removed to unlock it. Ignition goes bad and road side assistance guy says "i do this on focuses all the time" needs new ignition and keys. Cd changer always broke.