Not Economical for an Economy Car
By NB on
2002 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)
If you drive very gently, you can attain 32 mpg hwy/18 mpg city. Ford dealership seems to think this normal for this car. This car is not fuel efficient for its class, and I hope to get rid of it as soon as I pay it off. The second time I brought the car in to be repaired for leaking coolant, I was told that this make/model is prone to problems with the cooling system. In 3 yrs I've had it leaking large amounts of coolant from two different locations at two different times. If you buy this car, avoid getting the "sporty" wheels (I bought it used, so choice was made for me). They are very expensive to replace.
Favorite Features
Turn radius is so tight I can pull a U-turn straight out of a parallel parking spot. Inside is roomy for a compact.
Suggested Improvements
Fuel economy. There's no excuse for its poor mpg city value, and extreme dependence on driving technique for what little economy you get. Remove blind spot caused by post between front and back windows. Improve cruise control system. (Car overreacts to hills) Redesign head rest to be comfortable.