Used 2002 Ford Focus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Great Small Car!
By Kaye

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was very pleased with how well the car handles. I live in a high traffic city and do a lot of stop and go. I have had no problems, just regular maintenance. I am very happy with the gas mileage of 26 to 28 mpg. I would certainly recommend this vehicle for anyone who likes a smaller car that handles well in traffic and is easily parked.

Favorite Features

The good gas mileage (especially with the price of gas) and the ease of handling.

Suggested Improvements

Perhaps better seats.

Do NOT buy a Ford Focus!
By Chill

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Despite regular maintenance and only 52,000 highway miles, the engine completely blew up. $4K to repair! Lots of rattles and very loud going highway speeds. Rear power window mechanism broke for no apparent reason. Radio would turn itself off on a daily basis. Fuel efficiency was about 30 mpg and it handled okay, but who cares when the engine goes at 52K miles?! Whatever you do, stay away from this car. Just because it's popular doesn't mean it's a good choice! Ford does NOT stand behind this car. Better get the extended warranty because you'll certainly need it. There are better ways to spend your money -- the Focus isn't the answer.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage was pretty decent, but nothing to write home about. Maneuvers well in small parking lots and narrow areas.

Suggested Improvements

An engine that goes past 52K miles would be nice. Needs better sound proofing. Reduce door, window, and dash rattles. Improve trunk design so all the soot and dirt from driving doesn't congregrate on the trunk lid and get your hands filthy when it's time to open/close the trunk.

Nice, dependable (so far)
By John

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our Focus from a private party who wanted to get out of his Ford lease he had through the family. We couldn't pass up the deal, and bought it, even though we wanted a Civic. Knock on wood...so far it's been great. It's roomy, runs great (although it has that little Fordish-tractorish purr), requires little gas, and handles well. My wife is a teacher, and we needed a reliable vehicle. If you are in a similar situation, I highly recommend this car. Trust me, I spent 2 weeks researching all compacts, and this one's got most bang for our buck.

Favorite Features

Handling, gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Interior (airbag lids start to pop out).

Excellent
By Hwrd

2002 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Ford has done a nice job of building an ecomomical car with a lot of nice features. I am just as happy with it as the Corolla I owned before it. I have 36K miles on it and it's still as good as new. The service department has been excellent; (had one complaint - the window had a slight rattle). The service dept promptly addressed the issue, gave us a free rental and we have never had a problem since.

Favorite Features

It's a Mach edition so I am fond of the HID headlights. Nice stereo.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe less brake dust. Brakes have not been replaced yet with 36K city miles, so no problems with wear.

Ford figured it out
By jimbelin

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Ford Focus is one of the best economy compacts out there, period. Fine build quality, comfort for four adults, a joy to drive and great mileage (36.5 highway). It is every bit as good as its Japanese counterparts and thousands less, for a fully equipped car. Mine cost $10,027 for power everything (not seats), ABS, alloy wheels, front & side airbags, DOHC engine and a good sound system. Great commuter car, good first car for a teen driver or choose the wagon for a family in the making. Can't think of any negatives about this car.

Favorite Features

Has good acceleration and solid handling. The gas mileage is a real plus. I never feel intimidated by other vehicles on the freeway.

Suggested Improvements

None.