Used 2002 Ford Focus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Focus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Poor Quality
By Russ Blayney

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Our company owns three 2002's. One blew engine after 1700 miles. Hose clamp failed, waited 3 weeks for replacement motor under warranty. Tranny valve went out in another car @ 22000 miles. Now this same car is needing a new tranny @ 57000miles. All 3 have trunk release problems, eat tires and rattle a lot. All of these cars have been maintained to Ford specs and dealership service. No more Ford's for us. The jokes are still alive and well, Found On the Road Dead & Fix Or Repair Daily.

Favorite Features

Runs on regular fuel, light in the trunk.

Suggested Improvements

Quality build, Quality control.

120,000 Miles and still drives fine
By bigticket42

2002 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car because of gas prices. Bought it with 120,000 miles on it. The car runs great. Good gas mileage, not great but I have the ZTS with the sportier engine in it. I am 6'6" and I have good room. Trunk is good sized but the opening is not big enough. Traction in winter rime is terrible. Need snow tires. Problems are that the fog lights at this time are not working, not sure why. The control module for the traction control and ABS is out so I have to manually pump brakes until I get it fixed. Other than that it is a good economy car. Probably not up to the standards of the Japanese or a Jetta but better than a Chevy Cavalier from '02 and probably as good as the Neon from '02.

Favorite Features

Great stereo, sunroof, interior room, fairly sporty, good interior, traction control.

Suggested Improvements

Same thing with all Fords. Shouldn't have dummy lights because they are always going off. Your car drives fine but always a light on. My ABS control module is out; so my ABS, ETS and brake light are all on. These are things you don't put up with in the Asian cars but you pay more for them.

Great car for college students!
By KatS

2002 Ford Focus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car since I was 16. Now I am in college and drive a ton. The fuel efficiency is great, I can get up to 350 miles on one tank. It is extremely fun to drive, has great handling. It's very spacious, including the trunk. The rear suspension is not adjustable and can be very pricey to get repaired if damaged.

Favorite Features

Lots of room, fuel efficiency, rides nicely.

Suggested Improvements

Rear suspension needs to be adjustable.

Runs Great BUT Eats Tires
By MBFlorida

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I researched many different brands of cars in the same price category before choosing the 2002 Ford Foucs SE Comfort Sedan. I love the styling, the interior especially the tilt/telescoping steering wheel and the height adjustable driver's seat. I am tall at 6 ft 2 in. so many small cars were just way too small.The Focus fits nicely without making me look like a clown unfolding from a clown car. At almost 4 years old I have had few problems other than excessive tire wear. I replace my tires every 20000 miles or less from the first 20000 miles on.

Favorite Features

Great Styling inside and out, Great Stereo sound (single disc CD) awesome height adjustable driver seat, tilt/telescoping steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

Been to dealer many times & wrote letter to Bill Ford to complain about car eating tires every 20000 miles. Dealer says it's because its a lite car & they just do that. Ford Corporate offers no resp. Offered me friends & fam disc just days b-4 offering to gen public. Give me a fix or tell the truth

I never thought I would drive a Ford
By Ibrat29

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car, it is reliable and I have not had any problems. I got it to replace my Plymouth Breeze after I was in a auto accident. The color and the room in it is awesome, and it's really comfortable for road trips. And the gas mileage is awesome, 26mpg around town, and 31mpg highway.

Favorite Features

My 6 in-dash CD changer! I can't live without my music

Suggested Improvements

This Focus needs no improvements.