2002 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
2002 focus x5
By rockinit on 06/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

this is a new car, have had it a couple weeks, and find it to be a very good driver, fun,even. Instrument placement is good, stereo w/6cd a no charge bonus. My only negative comment, and caveat to future buyers, is to check the upholstery for bad seam work. Day two, I noticed that the upper back seat back, had a 3 inch defect in the upper corner seaming, i could place three fingers in the hole, so beware of the stitch work. Personally i didnt sign off on the purchase order until the dealer orderred a new seat cover for the rear upper seat. This they did reluctantly, hopefully thats the only gremlin to be found.We like the car very much!

Focusing on the Focus
By ajl on 05/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love the Focus. I am not a fan of domestic cars, so this should tell you something. The European flavor of the Focus comes through. The handling is excellent for a cheap, FWD car, the ride is pretty decent. Build quality is surprisingly solid for a Ford and no squeaks or rattles in 10,000 miles . I do mainly highway driving, so I get about 28mpg steady. The seats are comfortable. The car is not bad on the highway, but it is kind of buzzy at times. Not nearly as bad as the Dodge Neon, but not as smooth as a Honda. If you love to drive and your pocketbook doesn't allow a BMW (as mine doesn't) the ZX-3 Focus is your small car.

ROBERTO'S TOY
By roberto sanchez on 05/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I AM VERY PLESE WITH THE VEHICLE. IT HAS A GREAT PERFORMANCE. I GET 30 MPG ON HIGHWAY. THIS IS A GREAT FIRST CAR FOR ANYONE. I BOUGHT IT FOR MY 15 YRS. SON AND HE ENJOY THE HANDLING AND THE STYLE. GREAT LITTLE CAR. THE RROFLINE IS EXCELLENT. I AM 6FT TALL AND I COULD LOOK OUT WITHOUT ANY PROBLEM.

Love my ZX5
By John_mc70 on 05/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've been very happy with my ZX5 so far. I bought it because of the the great ride and handling. It is a lot of fun to drive. I'm very happy with the exterior looks and I think the quality of the interior materials are top rate. The 2002 interior is a big improvement over the 2001. My only complaints are that it is a little loud on the highway and I don't think the ZX5 drivers seat is that comfortable.

Lot of car for 11 Grand
By etubrutus on 04/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Too many recalls for small petty things. Nothing major or safety related. Build quality only rated a 7 because of it. Interior has enough room for all 6'3" 240 lbs of me. Rear area hauls as much of my stuff as I want. Car handles great, which helps to overcome the desire to go faster. I like the ZX3 because the door openings are huge and the A-pillar doesn't hit me in the shoulder.

Focus ZX3
By bchicky on 04/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the FocusZX3 in Nov of 2001 it has been a soso car, but when I went to have my oil changed at 6000 miles (not by ford) the shop told me my transmission was almost out of oil most likely because in production they barely put any in, they filled it up free of charge,im glad to I was taking a trip to Frisco that weekend and surely my transmission would have burned out. I owned a VKSBeetle before and that car had more power and better steering than this car. Overall I give it a 7

Fun car
By BigJrff on 04/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Tight, crisp handling on 16-inch low profile (205x50) tires. Delivers decent power from a sweet sounding, twin-cam engine at 4-6000 RPM. Precise rack and pinion steering gives good feedback. Very comfortable inside. Lots of room for big people. Nice sound system with 6 cd changer in the dash. Good ergonomics. Neat, edgy exterior and interior styling. Flexible cargo carrying configurations possible with 60-40 fold down rear seats (which are also quite comfortable). Good head and legroom front and rear.

Compare and Save
By dbrass on 03/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

5 months of nothing but fun so far. I'm 6' 5" 265# and I am comfortable. You have to wind it up a little but it goes. Turn a corner on a whim. Wanted the Power w/o moonroof couldn't find (cut just a bit too much of the headroom). I got a really fantastic deal on a really nice package. To get more you go to Elantra GT and then Golf TDI. It wasn't worth the $$$ to me to risk the Hyundai and the VW guys didn't want to talk about deals. Some say you get what you pay for ... I think I got more w/o paying very much at all.

European Car at Economy Prices
By mroland on 03/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Extremely responsive and fun to drive. The cars begs to be thrown into corners and play. It has a fanstastic stereo, and roomy accomodations for 4 people. Its a sport hatch more than an economy car.

Flawless after a year and 14,000 miles
By Spunk on 03/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Not one recall. Car is excellent. Drive hard or cruise along. Steering, Braking is on par with $25,000 and up cars. Seat are comfortable. Lots of room for a car this small. The stock stereo is awesome. Many aftermarket parts if you want to get more out of the motor.