2002 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews 8

2002 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Lemon
By mellsu4u on 10/04/06 19:26 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

In 4 years I have had to replace the front rotors and brake shoes (the first year!), replace two window motors and regulators, replace the power steering pump, rack & pinion unit, battery, CD player, factory dry rotted tires, and the air bag light keeps coming on. The car looks brand new inside and out, is regularly maintenance, has few passengers (no kids), is driven carefully and has few miles on it. A mechanic said you have a 50/50 chance on getting a good one. Guess which % I was in? Please, don't buy one!

Better than we thought
By bbsrover on 08/30/06 12:18 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought 02 Focus SE (auto) in Jan 2002. So far it has 60k miles. Happy with its overall reliability and handling (considering it's a FORD). It's fun to drive. No powertrain or any powered parts problem. It's an economical car and some parts such as tires and rotors have worn out fast. What have been repaired/changed include: all 4 tires (less than 3 yrs), 2 front rotors (less than 3 yrs), spark plugs and wires (4 yrs), one rear light bulb and drain plug (less than 3 yrs).

Utterly Awful, Unreliable
By Galiana on 08/08/06 18:27 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car at 20k miles. At 30k, it needed new brakes and completely rebuilt calipers. The mechanic told me that it was very common for the factory installed plastic calipers to fail at 30k miles. The car is now at 60k miles and has gone through 3 sets of brakes (I do not drive like a maniac at all) 4 sets of tires, and 3 stereos. The factory-installed 6-disc changer on this car is a piece of junk and fails constantly. Recently, the engine has started leaking copious amounts of oil. With all of these problems, I have been told that they are common with the Focus (especially the 2002) but not with other cars in its class like the Toyotas. No pickup, bad car.

Ford should FOCUS more on Quality
By jim johnson on 05/31/06 13:22 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Focus SE used; it was only a year old - just off a fleet lease in 2003. What got me to buy the car initially was the smooth/comfortable ride for such a small car and the awesome sound system. It was just fun to drive. I'm going into my 3rd year with this car (31,500 miles) and problems are arising already. So far: CD/stereo volume control seldom works, 3 out of the 4 heat/AC fan speeds don't work, the AC doesn't work at all, the fan whines & sputters when it does "work", no power to extra outlet, trunk lid closes shut 1/2 the time. It's becoming more & more clear to me why Toyota & Honda sales are rising and American car companies sales are declining. I see a Toyota in my future.

Well laid out, poorly built
By Phil on 05/16/06 09:05 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

We bought this car as students, and chose the wagon because we took lots of road trips and camped a lot. The car is very roomy for cargo storage, and the roof rack has come in handy more than once. The ergonomics of the dash and radio are great, the fuel economy is good. Our issues with the car have really been in the quality of the build rather than in its design. Front springs broke at 50K, one spark plug stopped firing at 30K (covered by warranty), we've gone through three sets of tires despite regular alignment and rotations, brakes are small and wear away quickly, and rear license plate light fell out at about 22K miles. Rear window no longer goes up if it gets put down.

Too Soon To Tell
By FirstFord on 04/29/06 05:09 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My wife and I replaced my old SUV with a compact to help alleviate rising fuel costs. The car is not all that bad to drive, and we've yet to have any problems. Well, except for three (3): 1. it can only get 20 m.p.g in city driving; 2. the front left tire cannot hold air and we had all four tires replaced at point of sale; 3. the trunk lid opens at inconvenient times. The sticker claims the EPA fuel rating is 26/30, city/hwy. That in and of itself isn't great for a compact, but 20 m.p.g or even less surprised me. Still, the purchase price was fair and the dealer treated us with respect. Time will tell if we're willing to buy another Ford or go back to Toyota.

Unsatisfied consumer
By Kantona on 04/07/06 20:41 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Good gas mileage, acceptable performance, not too uncomfortable, but pretty unreliable; seems to break down every other month after two years.

A distinctive small car
By Raymond on 04/01/06 13:34 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Even 5 years on, when I looked for a small car to buy the Focus stood out. The best aspects are a unique style inside and out, a user friendly interior and seating position, the best handling of any non-sport compact but a comfortable suspension worthy of a larger car. Don't worry, I say this having test driven the Corolla, Civic and Golf. On the downside, the fuel economy is not as good as it should be for a small car, the reliability is acceptable, but not bullet-proof and there are a few annoyances that are easily overshadowed by the good points

My Baby
By Karen on 03/22/06 22:08 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My baby sleeps outside every night and never complains. She doesn't cough or sputter when the weather gets cold. She doesn't blow her top and get freaky when it gets really hot. Gently she carries me daily mile after mile. It has the comfort and control of a finely tuned high performance car. I fear she has only one fault that I can find, with her front end as low to the ground it leaves the radiator and condenser sitting ducks for any small creature with a death wish. My only hope is that they redesign the protection of these by perhaps a deflector or stronger bracket.With that said, my Focus has been the most dependable car I've ever owned ... I LOVE HER!

The best car I've bought so far!
By Michelle Jones on 03/01/06 07:12 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This is the best car I've bought so far. Besides the fact that it's very fun to drive, it handles the road very well and has tons of storage space. I have made many trips to Ikea and have fit very large boxes in my car, while other people next to me in pick-up trucks had a hard time fitting smaller boxes in their trucks. It's great on gas (about 30 miles average, more on the freeway) and has plenty of horsepower. I would recommend this car to anybody who likes the convenience of a wagon and the sportiness of the Focus.