Used 2002 Ford Focus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Focus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Better than we thought
By bbsrover

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought 02 Focus SE (auto) in Jan 2002. So far it has 60k miles. Happy with its overall reliability and handling (considering it's a FORD). It's fun to drive. No powertrain or any powered parts problem. It's an economical car and some parts such as tires and rotors have worn out fast. What have been repaired/changed include: all 4 tires (less than 3 yrs), 2 front rotors (less than 3 yrs), spark plugs and wires (4 yrs), one rear light bulb and drain plug (less than 3 yrs).

Favorite Features

Overall quality/reliability; handling, fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Front rotor uneven worn-out; drain plug soft metal; wind-noise on highway.

Ford should FOCUS more on Quality
By jim johnson

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Focus SE used; it was only a year old - just off a fleet lease in 2003. What got me to buy the car initially was the smooth/comfortable ride for such a small car and the awesome sound system. It was just fun to drive. I'm going into my 3rd year with this car (31,500 miles) and problems are arising already. So far: CD/stereo volume control seldom works, 3 out of the 4 heat/AC fan speeds don't work, the AC doesn't work at all, the fan whines & sputters when it does "work", no power to extra outlet, trunk lid closes shut 1/2 the time. It's becoming more & more clear to me why Toyota & Honda sales are rising and American car companies sales are declining. I see a Toyota in my future.

Favorite Features

I loved every feature this car had to offer initially. You really couldn't ask for more in such a small car. But now with the problems arising, I can't wait to trade it in.

Suggested Improvements

Quality-quality-quality! It should have been "Job-One", but it was just a catch-phrase obviously. Toyota & Honda have done it, so why doesn't the American companies? I for one, have no clue!

Too Soon To Tell
By FirstFord

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My wife and I replaced my old SUV with a compact to help alleviate rising fuel costs. The car is not all that bad to drive, and we've yet to have any problems. Well, except for three (3): 1. it can only get 20 m.p.g in city driving; 2. the front left tire cannot hold air and we had all four tires replaced at point of sale; 3. the trunk lid opens at inconvenient times. The sticker claims the EPA fuel rating is 26/30, city/hwy. That in and of itself isn't great for a compact, but 20 m.p.g or even less surprised me. Still, the purchase price was fair and the dealer treated us with respect. Time will tell if we're willing to buy another Ford or go back to Toyota.

Suggested Improvements

Ford could build higher quality, longer lasting cars. I had my Toyota for 10 years (I also bought it used after it was 4 years old and had nearly 50,000 miles.) My family has a 93 Corolla that gets better mileage than my 02 Focus. That vehicle has over 150,000 miles. Ford, it can be done.

My Baby
By Karen

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My baby sleeps outside every night and never complains. She doesn't cough or sputter when the weather gets cold. She doesn't blow her top and get freaky when it gets really hot. Gently she carries me daily mile after mile. It has the comfort and control of a finely tuned high performance car. I fear she has only one fault that I can find, with her front end as low to the ground it leaves the radiator and condenser sitting ducks for any small creature with a death wish. My only hope is that they redesign the protection of these by perhaps a deflector or stronger bracket.With that said, my Focus has been the most dependable car I've ever owned ... I LOVE HER!

Favorite Features

I love the way she handles and the fact that very few people drive stick, so no one ever asks me to drive her (accept my teenage daughter).

Suggested Improvements

Like I mentioned earlier in my review she needs to have the front end better shielded from debris and small animals. Though no one goes out looking for these things I live in the country and one raccoon kill cost me over $1500.

Very Happy
By Afernung

2002 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Focus. I found a Mach Edition in about perfect condition. Had a lot of highway miles on it, bought with 60k, up to 80k now. I actually ran into the other owner, (which was a 1 in a million chance!) while delivering pizzas, and she said it had been the best car she ever had. I'd like a truck or SUV but the only problem this car has given me is a CD jam. I had to dismantle the cd player and take out the 6 CD's; it ruined 4. It also seems to want to eat tires and is very figgedity about balance, always has a little vibration. Other than that, CANNOT complain!

Favorite Features

6 disk CD, the COOL orange metallic color, the sunroof, the orange and black seats! It steers like a dream!

Suggested Improvements

A little noisy, hard on tires. Only gets 20 mpg city and 24 highway.