Used 2002 Ford Focus Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Most Helpful|
3 Years & Counting @ 40k miles
By Chelly1&2

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'm back-Last review done 3/02. I've had this car now through heat and cold, hard and easy driving & I still love it! 5-speed manual with enough pep so long as the A/C is off. MPG varies dep. on how hard you'r driving it & if A/C is on. peppy, hugs the curves, comfortable long range hwy driver. not so great in bumper to bumper, but what stick is? Economical upkeep if you do as you're supposed to. Check out www.teamfocus.us for more info! FUN! FUN! FUN!

Favorite Features

Cruise, Hatch, roominess, ergo set-up for dials etc. Nice tight feel in turns and smooth ride on the hwy. Love getting the smiles and positive comments about how nice it looks. Love the color - Egg Yolk Yellow! Moonroof!!! POWER everything!

Suggested Improvements

More or less the same as before-get rid of that center arm rest,wipers leaving that dribble. Ford Service Dealers need to keep up on TSB's and Recalls and know what the heck they're doing & talking about! A/C stinks like mildew. Bring up MPG! I know it can be done!

Never Again!!
By Nick

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Oh boy. Where do I begin with this car. It is by far the WORST car I have ever owned. I bought it for the better gas mileage... ha. My 99' Grand Am with 216K gets better gas mileage and is more reliable. This car has been in the shop for everything it could possibly go for. The motor mounts don't last. Had them replaced 3 times in the past year. New tires like crazy! I was told it is a Focus thing but had 3 sets put on in the past year. The stereo sounds GREAT!!! When it works. The 6 disk has been changed out 4 times. alternator, sway bar, motor mounts, door locks, electrical system, fuel system, you name it. I am sure it has gone wrong. I will NEVER buy a ford again and would NOT recommend it

Favorite Features

Driving position.

Suggested Improvements

Quit making them. That is the only way you will stop the problems... seriously

The Tank
By Amy Royer

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 5 speed ZX3 in 2005 with 48,000 miles on it and I just totaled it out with 143k miles. I loved this car but the tires wore out easily and cost $110 a tire, the housing unit for the temperature thingy had to be replaced, the cd player was replaced twice and still didn't work, the moon roof would malfunction, at 130,000 the front struts started to go and there was an oil leak, I had to replace the battery 4 times and the driver side door handle constantly broke. Despite all that I did run the car hard and it ran well up until about 115k miles and it held together through the few accidents I was in keeping me and my 2 year old safe. It's nickname was tank for a reason.

Favorite Features

Great pick up, loved the moon roof and power locks/windows

Suggested Improvements

different tires

After 9 years and 123k miles, Bev is starting to bite the dust
By lsgrant

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

So Bev, my 2002 ford focus 2x5, has been GREAT for the 5 years I have owned her. Last year is when it all began. Most of the repairs have been typical maintenance things you would have to fix on any 9 year old/123k mile car, but I wasn't expecting to fix the alternator $400, a/c $450, clutch $600, and 2 of the 4 power windows (the windows!? which are $300 EACH). CD player has been broken for a few years. I can usually get it to work (except the volume control has hardcore issues), but the CD player repair is LAST LAST on my list. My biggest recommendation: find a GREAT mechanic who will give you a deal with all these crazy repairs that will probably happen all at once.

Favorite Features

I get 34 mpg highway (driving 65mph w/ a/c on), 6 disc CD changer (which is actually malfunctioning lol), CRAZY spacious. I take my car CAMPING all the time, and she's a trooper. I can seriously fit anything in the trunk/back seat. I can fit 2 car seats and an 8 year old in my back seat. The backseat is a little small for adults, but I've also had 3 adults back there, too.

Suggested Improvements

The power windows mechanism is a POS!! The part is about $175 dollars itself and my repair bill for each window was $300!! I had an old Honda before this car and the alternator never broke nor the clutch. I'm actually quite shocked to have to replace both on this car. Get a great mechanic you trust who will give you a deal!!

Great car so far!
By truckguy37

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this 2002 Focus ZX3 5spd last summer with 201,000 on it...for $700 drove it home! Knew it needed a couple things...didn't realize it needed more....Took the cover off the timing belt for inspection (Zetec motor) looked like the timing belt had never been replaced after 201,000 miles...the cracks were on the outside of the belt ready to snap! Had my mechanic look at it and it was very solid car no rust at all..and the seller never told me it had all new brake and fuel lines!! After spending $1,500 to get most of it done, it seems to be pretty good so far. I take it long and very short drives and doesn't leave me stranded. Getting 37 mpg is pretty good too!

Favorite Features

The heat is unbelievable! I never had heat work soo well in a car! AC might need to be refilled! The car is soo good on gas I swear I dont pay much for it at all! Im used to driving a Grand Marquis... Im at 210,000 miles right now..and running great! Id get another Focus!!! but I wouldn't get the Split Port engine as the valve seat tends to drop into the cylinder...and be sure to replace the tming belt at the suggested intervals...which is 120,000 or 10 yrs....and the Zetec will last for 300,000 miles!