2002 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Best handling car, ever!
By Ksmith on 07/19/07 16:31 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I absolutely love this car! I received this car as a gift, and the first thing that came to my mind was, oh no a Ford. But once I took it around the block, my view about the car changed completely. Has plenty of power (more than BMW 318i), stops on a dime, very comfortable with a spacious, quiet interior. The car is very solid, when I close the doors; it shuts with an air tight thump like that of a Mercedes or Volvo. If I had to sum up this car in one word it would have to be responsive. I have driven a BMW M5 before and my Focus is tighter and handles better than the BMW. My Focus saved my life a few times thanks to its perfect handling! I have driven Hondas and I would take the Focus!

Reliable for over 5 years
By dk on 06/30/07 19:07 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand new in 2001. I have treated this car good and it has been good to me in return.The door latches had a recall on them because they would stick, and sometimes still do. My valve cover gasket needed replaced at around 83,000 mi. I have around 85,000 mi on it now. Other than that , I can't complain about the car. I live in the Cleveland area , so it has seen it's share of brutal weather. It is not the best car in the world in snow, but it is way better than let's say a Mustang. The stereo system rocks and the car handles tight and has good pick up for a 4 cyl. For the money this car is not bad (the new ones) This was my first brand new car I have owned and I am glad.

Have Focus will travel
By dan on 06/09/07 14:40 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Focus since Thanksgiving of 2001. Over the past few years the car has been pretty solid transportation for me. I live in Cleveland OH, so it has been through some serious weather. The car handles pretty good in snow with the front wheel drive. I can only speak for the ZTS model on this , but the car has pretty good pick up for a four cyl. It eccelerates nicely while mergining on the highway. I did have a recall on the door latches, which was no big deal. I did get an oil leake around 83,000 miles. It turned out to be a valve cover gaskett. It cost me $35 from Ford for the gaskett. I do have some rust forming around the Ford logo below the spoiler. My grade: B, a reliabl car

ZX5
By Jason23 on 05/25/07 21:04 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After purchase from private party I changed out plugs and wires, oil (5-20), replaced damaged side mirror and antenna. The 16" low profiles with alloys corners like a dream. Nice pick up with the 16 valve zetec 130 pony 2.0 liter fuel injected grinder. 6 CD changer and no nonsense dash layout provides a solid experience. I'm up to 28 plus mpg driving 11 miles one way to work. Nice quiet ride and tight suspension. Access to oil filter is difficult for oil changes. All in all a great value for the money.

Not the best I've owned by a long shot
By mj23cantona on 04/01/07 14:57 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car because I could get more features and a bigger engine for some $3000 less than I would have paid for a Toyota Celica. Now, five years and some $5000 more than the cost of the average Celica over this time, all I can say is it was a bad choice. Pretty much all that could go wrong did, coolant system twice, CD chager twice, A/C twice, clutch, thermostat, power windows, brakes need constant work, windshield sealant, trunk bounces back every other time, noisy. It's the last Ford I'll ever own. About a year ago I quit putting money into it, all I do is maintenance. Since then the CD changer and the driver's side window have kicked it, we now own two Toyotas. This one is errand car.

Focus Wagon
By don on 03/23/07 12:18 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This is the 4th Focus in my family. By far it is the most versatile of them all. The cargo capacity cannot be beat by any other small to mid size wagon. Even larger SUV's are lacking this amount of space. It is as reliable as "Old Faithful". While not the quietest ride, it is not the reason I bought it. I have a BMW 528i for those needs.

Great little car
By Adam on 03/14/07 17:47 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I love how this car is practical for daily driving, and also very nimble and pretty quick. The handling is fantastic (out slaloms E46 M3s, Corvette Z06, etc), and the 170HP Zetec has enough power to propel it at a moderate pace. The brakes are also OUTSTANDING. It also has tons of room to go on road trips and haul around your things. The side airbags are another nice feature for safety.

one of the best
By stuck with ford on 01/07/07 13:39 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I owned my Focus for 5 years; have had transmission replaced at 37000 miles, tires every 20000 miles and the alternator replaced once. Not too much work for 140000 miles, besides routine maintenance. I like the car's fuel economy/handling/pickup. If I didn't need more room I would buy a new Focus. So I sticking with Ford and buying a Ford Escape Limited.

Worst Car I've Owned
By Charlynn Smith on 12/21/06 18:41 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this vehicle to avoid nickel-and-dime problems that were starting to appear in my 2000 Sunfire. Little did I know that I'd have the Focus in the shop four times over the last seven months. This has quickly become the most unreliable car I've ever driven, and I'll never buy a Ford again. I'll be trading this car for what I knew I should have bought in the first place - a Honda Civic.

Right Car for the Right Person
By Aaron on 11/21/06 10:15 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I do highway driving and only get about 26mpg. I had a minivan, so I wanted the availability to haul stuff (bikes, snowboards, etc.), and in that aspect it's a great fit. I call it my mini-minivan. However, I was looking for a bit better gas mileage (32ish), the windshield wipers have a bit of a glitch, the bolts that hold the air filter box together are somehow defunct. But other than that I am overall happy with the car. I wished it would have been easy to find one with a stick and there is no RMP gauge on the SE. I have a few Mustangs also, so I miss the power. The 130 hp engine does the job, but no burnouts. The car does handle very well and feels sportier than it should.