Used 2002 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

2002 Ford Focus ZX5
By CarMan

2002 Ford Focus ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned several cars in my life and drive more than the average. My Focus had its first repair at 112,000 miles needing a sensor replaced. Other than tires, and brakes, and oil changes this car has been an amazing one and I would not hesitate to buy another. Gas mileage is also incredible, tires are inexpensive, and the seats are more comfortable than in my Jag.

Great Car!!
By thinkr047

2002 Ford Focus SE Comfort 4dr Sedan w/Zetec (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a wonderful car! I bought this car brand new in 2002. I have had 3 fairly major wrecks in this car and it held up extremely well and kept me protected! I have had to replace a few things here and there but so far nothing major. Overall, I am very pleased with my purchase and I will be purchasing a new Focus in 2012 when the new design comes out!

Moonroof, Cruise, Gentle Ride, Reliability, Gas Usage, Price.

A bit more powerful engine...but I believe the Focus coming out in 2012 will have this.

2002 Ford Focus
By Christine

2002 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had nothing but great reliability with my 2002 Focus ZTS. I still have the factory battery in it, ac works great, great on gas, I can always depend on this car to get me where I need to go. Oil always gets changed on a regular basis, regular check ups and it has been going. I'm no mechanic but the money that I have put into this car is just maintenance that you do for your car to keep running. The only thing that has not worked since I purchased it was the drivers side windshield wiper.

Power Windows

JUST SAY NO
By saynotoford

2002 Ford Focus ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car was trouble the first three months I had it. The radio just stopped working, and I had to replace the alternator. ALL of the window regulators have broken, and one is broken for a second time. Ford UNUSUALLY built it with 3 motor mounts instead of 4, so they will wear, and it cost about 200 each to replace. Even the mechanic said he didn't know why Ford did that. I had to replace all of the spark plugs. The housing temperature unit thing is made of plastic and leaked coolant. it has custom tires so be ready to pay if you need to replace them. Mine rides extremely rough, and I do get oil changes and transmission flushes.

At this point.. NOTHING.. the heater is good after you warm the car up for 20 minutes.

Started great and then fell off a cliff
By cdock

2002 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Year One:Didn't drive it too much I lived like 3 miles from my job. only put about 3000 on car in first year. Year Two: cd changer stops working right makes weird noise and scratches cds. Take car in they swap out cd player and mail me a cd that was someone a 7th cd inside the changer when it was fixed. About 4 months later rear wheel bearings need replacement and front sway bar cracked they weld it. Years 3-7: cd player replaced 4 times sway bar welded 3 more times 60K miles coolant leak fixed 80K coolant leak fixed 81K power steering goes and oil starts leaking power steering fixed. 83K ignition locks and passenger window falls down on its own while driving repairs for year 7-8 =3,600

I loved the handling before the sway bar kept cracking. Car always felt very sturdy and safe. No problem putting three car seats in the back. Like the instrument setup and the hatchback. Lots of room to put stuff. Hell, I put a loveseat from Ikea in it and shut the trunk and drove it home.

Better sway bar. fixed 4 times. Power steering going out at 80K is not cool. Rear seatbelt locks and had to have entire bench seat removed to unlock it. Ignition goes bad and road side assistance guy says "i do this on focuses all the time" needs new ignition and keys. Cd changer always broke.