2002 Ford Focus Consumer Review: Pocket Rocket

2002 Ford Focus - Consumer Review

SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4-cyl. 6-speed Manual)

Pocket Rocket
By fsovctu0s2 on

2002 Ford Focus SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Bought as a leftover & paid $15,000. Needed snow tires for N.E. winters. Had 3 alternators, numerous horns, loose heat shields, and car felt like it had lost its snap. Brought to dealer who discovered a broken intake manifold control valve. Part was on backorder so had to wait about 3 weeks. Had rental with extended warranty. When I got the car back it was like new again with the power. Battery light came on day after I came home with it due to a bad connector at alternator. Dealer fixed immediately when I returned. Idle was high but I think the new control valve fixed that. Brakes are awful in the wet. Front brakes replaced @ 40,000 miles & same results. I do love the car but engine light has been on. Great on long trips.

Handling, power, radio, 6 speed, service treatment at dealers (under warranty), comfort of seats, controls, economy. People don't think it's a Ford. Get lots of compliments.

Electrical, alternator etc., wish it wasn't made in Mexico. Leaks on passenger footwell, brakes stink in the wet, ABS not that good in snow (would have opted not to get it if it were an option). Speedometer seems to read 5mph faster. This is my first new car and it has never left me stranded or failed to start.