Used 2002 Ford Focus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Focus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Best handling car, ever!
By Ksmith

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I absolutely love this car! I received this car as a gift, and the first thing that came to my mind was, oh no a Ford. But once I took it around the block, my view about the car changed completely. Has plenty of power (more than BMW 318i), stops on a dime, very comfortable with a spacious, quiet interior. The car is very solid, when I close the doors; it shuts with an air tight thump like that of a Mercedes or Volvo. If I had to sum up this car in one word it would have to be responsive. I have driven a BMW M5 before and my Focus is tighter and handles better than the BMW. My Focus saved my life a few times thanks to its perfect handling! I have driven Hondas and I would take the Focus!

Handling, ride, stopping distance, power!

The ability to fold in the mirrors.

Reliable for over 5 years
By dk

2002 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand new in 2001. I have treated this car good and it has been good to me in return.The door latches had a recall on them because they would stick, and sometimes still do. My valve cover gasket needed replaced at around 83,000 mi. I have around 85,000 mi on it now. Other than that , I can't complain about the car. I live in the Cleveland area , so it has seen it's share of brutal weather. It is not the best car in the world in snow, but it is way better than let's say a Mustang. The stereo system rocks and the car handles tight and has good pick up for a 4 cyl. For the money this car is not bad (the new ones) This was my first brand new car I have owned and I am glad.

Tight steering, good stereo system

Fixing the door latch sticking problem. There was a recall, but even after taking it in , the doors still act funny sometimes

Have Focus will travel
By dan

2002 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Focus since Thanksgiving of 2001. Over the past few years the car has been pretty solid transportation for me. I live in Cleveland OH, so it has been through some serious weather. The car handles pretty good in snow with the front wheel drive. I can only speak for the ZTS model on this , but the car has pretty good pick up for a four cyl. It eccelerates nicely while mergining on the highway. I did have a recall on the door latches, which was no big deal. I did get an oil leake around 83,000 miles. It turned out to be a valve cover gaskett. It cost me $35 from Ford for the gaskett. I do have some rust forming around the Ford logo below the spoiler. My grade: B, a reliabl car

Actually, the stereo system rocks in this thing. And I like the way you can adjust the height of the seat. It sits high for a smaller car.

Well, the door latches are kind of goofy and can stick sometime. There was a recall for the 2002 ZTS.

one of the best
By stuck with ford

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I owned my Focus for 5 years; have had transmission replaced at 37000 miles, tires every 20000 miles and the alternator replaced once. Not too much work for 140000 miles, besides routine maintenance. I like the car's fuel economy/handling/pickup. If I didn't need more room I would buy a new Focus. So I sticking with Ford and buying a Ford Escape Limited.

Pickup from 0-60mph, stereo, handling.

Needs more room behind seats for car seats, quieter cabin at highway speeds.

Worst Car I've Owned
By Charlynn Smith

2002 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this vehicle to avoid nickel-and-dime problems that were starting to appear in my 2000 Sunfire. Little did I know that I'd have the Focus in the shop four times over the last seven months. This has quickly become the most unreliable car I've ever driven, and I'll never buy a Ford again. I'll be trading this car for what I knew I should have bought in the first place - a Honda Civic.

Gas mileage is great, especially on the highway. That's what sold me on this vehicle.

Despite rave reviews from companies like Consumer Reports, my experience with the Ford Focus has been dreadful. Be weary of buying one unless you actually enjoy spending lots of time and money on repairs. And if you do, what's wrong with you?