Used 2002 Ford Focus Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Love the car
By Mike Castegnaro

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I recently purchased my 2002 Ford Focus ZX3 and I really love it. This car has power everything, including a 6 disc player. I have always had Ford cars and trucks and NEVER had any problem with any of them at all. The gas mileage is great and has a lot of pickup. My friend purchased an '06 Toyota Scion. It's also a really nice car, but it does suck up the gas. We both have 4 cylinders. My Focus gets 26 mpg around town and 35 on highway. This is my most expensive car that I have ever purchased, also my newest. Close to $10,000. The dealership was great, however, a little bit of pressure was involved. I did get a good deal though. This car will last me the next 10 years.

Favorite Features

Power mirrors, windows, tilt, cruise control, 6 disc cd player, power locks, air ... of course.

Great Car
By ryan

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought the car new with sunroof, leather, 5 speed, black, and 6 disc CD. We have put 82k in the last 3 years and just blew the hydraulic clutch slave cylinder. Gieco warranty picked up the tab and have not had any other problems. Wonderful handling, the car is very well balanced and predictable (and I have pushed it to the limit). I would suggest the car to anyone.

Favorite Features

CD player, motor, tranny, handling, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Looks, interior lighting.

Great value this ZX3
By Prof100

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. It's roomier than my Taurus. It has every option. The car is nimble for driving around the town and on the freeway. Ford could lose the middle console. It's useless. Seatbelts are designed for child safety & you have to dig for the latch end that's sandwiched between the seat & the console. Tires were replaced with with Pirelli tires at 40,000 miles & should have been 10,000 miles earlier. New front brakes @ 32K. Rotors are disposable. Rear hatch key gasket keeps falling out in car washes. Rust is starting form on the bottom of the hatch. That's not FOMOCO's fault. That's from a dealer who repaired the car when my wife tried to move a concrete pole with rear bumper.

Favorite Features

1 - Roominess 2 - Fun to drive 3 - Relatively good fuel economy

Suggested Improvements

Delete the console. Improve Fuel Economy. Make rear brakes easier to replace.

Focus is a fun kids car
By cory kilburn

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Focus is a good kids car but for a family of four it is a little too small. The arm rest in the Focus could be looked at as weak and needs to be looked at by Ford, as well as the fuel pump. I have owned 2 Ford Focus and have replaced 4 fuel pumps and 2 arm rests. Other than that the car is fun to drive and gets good gas mileage. Good luck and fun safe driving. :)

Favorite Features

The good shifting in the gear box. The ride is very good. Good gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Arm rest needs improvement, fuel pump needs improvement, road noise needs improvment .

Owned a lot of cars
By Ace

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've own a lot of cars, built here, in Europe, and Japan. You can't beat this car for the money. I drive a combination of stop and go city and highway miles every day and get 27 - 28mpg. Very reliable. I also got rid of the Firestone Firehawk tires and put on 4 new BF Goodrich Traction T/A's. Better handling and superior rain and snow handling. This car handles better than most cars costing over $35K. Nice trasmission, smooth engine needs more power. 150hp would be just right.

Favorite Features

Handling.

Suggested Improvements

More power, better seats.