Used 2002 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Stay away!
By ihateford

2002 Ford Focus SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This car put my through hell! First everything was fine, then back right window broke, it would shake uncontrollably, it would stop for no apparent reason, and overall money it was not worth it!

nothing!

Worst car ever
By SOKnight

2002 Ford Focus ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned Fords before but this will be my last. All the tires needed replacing when I went over normal potholes and they developed bubbles or got flat. Then the slave cylinder went. 3 of the 4 wheel bearings needed to be replaced, the CD player died, the shifter cable died, the front coil springs broke (there's a silent recall on these fyi), the windshield just cracked for no reason, the plastic on the bottom of the windshield came loose and the car gets water in the passenger side, and then there is that mysterious exhaust smell when I turn into my driveway, there was some radiator problem too but I don't recall what, now the A/C needs to be recharged, then there's a broken fan resistor.

OK with all that, the car has wonderful handling and is a lot of fun to drive. It takes corners better than any car I've ever owned.

Where to begin. I've only got 94K on the car and I drive like a grandma and get the car services regularly and the multitude of problems in unbelievable. Worst car I've ever had, unfortunately b/c my family has owned Fords since the 60's. Never again.

The Tank
By Amy Royer

2002 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 5 speed ZX3 in 2005 with 48,000 miles on it and I just totaled it out with 143k miles. I loved this car but the tires wore out easily and cost $110 a tire, the housing unit for the temperature thingy had to be replaced, the cd player was replaced twice and still didn't work, the moon roof would malfunction, at 130,000 the front struts started to go and there was an oil leak, I had to replace the battery 4 times and the driver side door handle constantly broke. Despite all that I did run the car hard and it ran well up until about 115k miles and it held together through the few accidents I was in keeping me and my 2 year old safe. It's nickname was tank for a reason.

Great pick up, loved the moon roof and power locks/windows

different tires

OMG so many problems
By TERESA

2002 Ford Focus SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Ok, let me explain to you how this car has made my life a living nightmare! Ok I bought this car with 38,000 miles on it when I bought it I found out it had a cooling sensor problem, then clutch problem, then rack and pinion, then axle problems, then ignition problems, I swear this car is not worth what I put into it now I have a problem with my fifth gear either not wanting to going into gear or it getting stuck and not wanting to come out! Please do not buy this car!

when i first got it, it was fast but of course it has a governor in it..

do not get it

Now I know
By Nicole

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car when it was 4 years old and had 30K miles. It drove nice at first,looked okay,and gas mileage is great.It has been nothing but problems since. The AC has gone out 4 or 5 times,each time Ford sent their dealership defective parts to replace the AC.Finally they sent a part that looks like its going to work.Then the alternator went out at 80,000 miles.It also had to be replaced twice because Ford sent a bad part the first time.We've put more money into this car than its even worth. The gas mileage is ok. Maybe ford should focus on building quality vehicles.Now I know to NEVER , EVER buy a Ford vehicle again.

• SUV