2002 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Average car with some big goofs
By mad chalet on 03/06/08 09:28 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car used a year ago. I liked the look of the car, the format, and I have heard good things about it from Euro owners. After owning it for a year I have discovered cosmetic problems and handling problems, as well as build problems. The carpeting doesn't match the contour of the body so it is pulling away from the trim, and actually tearing. The rear suspension is dangerous, skipping across bumps instead of absorbing them. There are lots of rattles caused by poorly fit plastics. The transmission is okay, but could shift more smoothly - it seems to be hunting for the right gear sometimes, with reluctance to downshift (you have to 'punch' the pedal)

Love it
By Kat on 03/05/08 10:28 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car in new in 2003. got a great deal on the leftover!I love this car. Its alot of fun to drive. Ive had a few minor issues. Had to replace the battery 3 times in 5 years and the oxygen sensor once. Overall though I love this car and will definitely buy another.

Bang for your buck!!
By Army19k on 01/14/08 11:15 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Recently getting back from Iraq, I felt like I needed something that would be suit me performance wise and in style. I had done so many months of research and was looking at the Nissan SE-R Spec V and Civic SI-R. But when I came across the Focus SVT I was quite impressed with the performance and standard options. Styling of this car interior wise is awesome. When you stomp on the gas you get pushed back in your seat. 0-60 in 7 seconds and the tuned suspension makes the car handle so amazing. Now, the check engine light is one of the pains that come with this car. The IMRC and O2 sensors always seem to cause problems but usually aren't anything huge. Aftermarket for this car are endless.

When they are bad, they are really bad
By D&J on 12/27/07 14:30 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This is the worst car I have ever owned. The fule mileage has been awful. I am a conservative driver and have had it to the dealer multiple times with no result. The car stalls, randomly downshifts, and has had to have a fuel pump replaced. I went with a Ford because I trusted that they really had improved. What a disapointment. My 16 year old Camry with 160,000 miles is more reliable and gets better gas mileage. Check these cars very carefully. I have friends that love theirs, but when there is a problem, the car is a real pain in the rear. Oh, and the 16 inch rims make new tires far more expensive, so consider getting the other model with the 15 inch rims to save some money.

Ford Focus
By AJIowa on 11/20/07 15:16 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car has excellent handling. I am not a car person so my primary reason for purchasing was price and gas mileage. The inside of the car is a little small. Passengers in the back seat have to scrunch up and it would not be good for long car rides with four people. This car needs new tires constantly. I am lucky to get 15k out of a tire. I mean they are completely bald. I have had alignment checked no problems. I rotate the tires but barely can do it twice before I need new ones. I been through 7 full sets of tires in 5 years. The tires are supposed to get 50-75K and it isn't even close. I also had to have the struts front and back all replaced by 50K.

Excellent auto
By doglover on 11/12/07 06:38 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am almost always the one to bash an auto maker. But the Focus 4 door wagon has been very good to me and with 199,000 has been awesome. The only regret is Ford not making this mid size wagon anymore. I am the original owner the things that were replaced was wiper motor, tires, brakes(only the second set) a little pricey, the alternator (which was still under warrantry). A very honest reliable vechicle good value. Yes, I would buy another Focus. A little bummed about the removal of the wagon.

A real lemon
By Charles Zeller on 11/10/07 21:05 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

My experience with the Focus wagon was extremly bad very nice car but unreliable, was in the shop every other day begining on the first week of purchase. Electrical problems and front brake problems also including cooling problems which the dealer could not fix during warranty time.

Nice car but
By John on 10/14/07 06:47 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

So far in the past week of owning this car, I've been left stranded twice. Both times were caused by a failed shifter cable end. The other complaint I have about this car, is the non-functional 6 disc cd changer, this car will be the last Ford I own and quite possibly the last domestic. In fact if I didn't owe so much on this pile, I would be trading it for a last gen Civic SIR, or a Jetta TDi.

Glad I Purchased This!
By mtracy on 09/21/07 10:24 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car about a month ago and it was the best used car I found in all of Hampton Roads. I was really unsatisfied with other cars I looked at (too many miles, major defects with interior, bad reviews) and when I found this car I just knew it would be perfect for me. The compact size of the car is great because I am very short and found other cars were literally too big for me to drive.

This is the only Focus I will own.
By Connie on 09/02/07 18:03 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am so disappointed in this car. I was expecting an economy car and that is not what I got. Driving is fine in good weather, but get a little puddle and this car is thrown around. get a little snow and anthing over 35 miles an hour is a fishtailing experience. I will never own another and I don't recommend one to anyone. A set of new tires that fit this car was over 600 bucks. That was not an endearing feature.