Used 2002 Ford Focus SVT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

fast but not reliable
By svt racer

2002 Ford Focus SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

my 2002 svt is faster than any honda i have raced so far but i have had my audiophile cd player replaced 3 times since i purchased the car. performance wise, the car has exceded my expectations but quality wise the car is falling apart. i am yet to lose a race but my car spends half its time at the dealership getting fixed.

Favorite Features

Faster than any honda i have raced and drooled over by all of my friends.

Suggested Improvements

optional turbo charger(which i will put in very soon), higher quality of sound system (why my svt is always in the "shop")

A true pureists sports car
By dk8

2002 Ford Focus SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Honestly. I'm not an over excited, 20 something year old yelling, "look at the best thing I own". I'm older and still enjoy a great sports car. OK just to recieve some validation from you out there I'm 40+ and have been a car guy for a while. I've owned many sports, luxury sport and sporty cars and I must admit this is one of the finer handling sweetest engined vehicles I've owned.

Favorite Features

Great Handling. Sweet Engine. Remarkably well mannered ride. Well thought out controls. A touch of refinement in the comfortable leather trimmed heated seats. Attention to detail and choice of materials. Are you sure this is an American car? Exclustivity

Suggested Improvements

Cabin wind noise. Though not terrible it's just that in view of how good this car is it's a surprise.

A Blast
By USN

2002 Ford Focus SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This is a great performance slanted suburban vehicle. The engine /6 speed transmission combination is nearly ideal. The suspension and brakes are even better! You can drive it very fast into corners and off ramps. It is a great second car, but not practical enough for a single car family, with children. I purchased the optional 200 watt sound system, and would definetly recommend that-has a large woofer in the trunk, and 6 disc in dash CD player.

Favorite Features

Engine/Transmission; Suspension/Brakes; Sound System; Front Seats; Exterior Styling; Full compliment of white gauges.

Suggested Improvements

Should come with Continental ContiExtremeContact all season tires. Original tires are great in dry and wet; but useless in snow. In northern climates you must purchase winter tires. Minor complaint: cup holders are small and too far forward.

So Far, So Good !
By bc01cls

2002 Ford Focus SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

With all the troubles concerning Focus quality, I was a bit hesitant to purchase the SVT. After driving it, I loved it and bought it! Reasonably quick, smooth drivetrain, excellent handling, comfortable, decent mileage, great stereo, leather, moonroof, ABS and exclusivity too. Nothing else this much fun for $16K. Steering wheel audio controls are even included, helping keep my focus on what this car does best; drive! 10 months, 7900 miles and no issues. Minor tailgate creak I cured by adjusting the screw in rubber hatch stops. Owned a 99 Civic Si, but the SVT simply shines on long trips whereas the Honda would "buzz you to death" after 400 miles or so.

Favorite Features

Integration of everything! Balance, rev- happy powerplant, 6 speed, stereo, great ABS brakes, one touch moonroof, lumbar supports on both front seats, interior room, steering wheel controls, true variable rate wipers, looks, exclusivity, ride and handling.

Suggested Improvements

Armrest on center console! You can eat up highway miles with this car and a center armrest would be great. Sturdier rims for the real world. Factory mud flaps to prevent road rash on rocker panels.

Bad little car
By jered

2002 Ford Focus SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Had a few problems with mine but hey, it's a performance car not a basic daily driver!Love it and bought a second Focus beacuse of it... GET ONE NOW!!!

Favorite Features

6 gears

Suggested Improvements

supercharger qould be nice (cost extra $3000ish aftermarket)